Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
wgb1

X2 on the game cameras and yes, the Club can be defeated quickly. I saw an ex-con go through one in 8 or 9 seconds on TV once. He hacksawed through the steering wheel and chunked the club.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
OhhWell

Man, you gotta lock your stuff up these days. You can say you shouldn't have to until you are blue in the face but you have to come to terms with reality.

The level of the neighborhood doesn't mean much anymore either. Around here, they carpool and canvas nice neighborhoods looking for unlocked cars. You have to lock your cars and sheds etc no matter where you live. If yours is locked, they will just move on looking for an unlocked one.

Now, the fact that only the one key was taken is a bit unsetteling...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
azlee56

Big time it is unsettling! I am glad they left the RV keys though, maybe they didn't realize what they were. I am not a crying person, but at the end of the day while meeting with the locksmith they came and he said, I am going to keep things locked from now on...this is really upsetting you. He is a sweet guy, just for years the area has been safe, but not any more.

Thanks everyone with the input of camera stuff. Any other ones you see let me know, this is a neat fast lesson (geez I am such a geek)

If we find who I am gonna make the courts make them clean highways forever so we can drive down the roads with no trash!! (so there)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
Johnnyfry

Theft

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. A suggestion: years ago I had a 2 seater sports car with a rag top so locking the doors didn't provide much security In those days hot wiring was no big deal, no steering column locks and a paper clip could do it. It had an electric fuel pump so I installed a hidden, but conviently located, switch in the pump line. it was easy to reach back and switch off when I got out of the car and just as simple to switch back on when I got back.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
SAABDOCTOR

azlee if you have to do the program thing,some cars reqire you bring all the keys you have and the remotes. with you or there programing will be lost. i do not know if ford is that way,but most of the eropean stuff i deal with and some jap cars are that way. i like the buck shot in the butt too don't forget to yell stop or i'll shoot
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #26
azlee56

Saab, I told the BF all this and at the end I said and I was reminded to say "stop or I'll shoot". He said oh yeah, guess we should! lol

He got up at 2:00am yesterday morning and sat hidden and was going to do it this morning. I said did you see anything and he said no. I said so now they have also stolen peace of mind. us=0, them=2. sigh.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
35mastr

You can go to the dealer and buy a complete lock set for the truck. I do this quite often at work for customers. When keys either get lost or stolen. It will have ignition,both doors and a glove box lock.
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
azlee56

Had the locksmith rekey them for 125.00. A pain in the butt, but at least it is safer. I forgot about the glove compartment lol. I never lock anything up in it so I guess that is ok.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
jsmith948

Hello Lee - the DW and I have been following this thread and just want to say we are sorry you have had so much trouble and we're glad you have found a satisfactory, albeit expensive, solution. $125.00 is a lot to spend but I guess it will be worth it for the piece of mind - good luck going forward
Jack & Marty

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
SAABDOCTOR

WELL That will at least slow them down so the bf can get a shot off! i sure hope they get cought and you guys don't get hurt! thescary part is coming home and walking in on them. i carry a kel tec 380 acp it is in my pocket all the time can't see it very small. when i walk in the door my hand is in my pocket. and i do have a permit. just so i don't get yelled at by others. and i never take it to canada!! good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

azlee56 -
Glad to hear that your problem is now resolved and you and your BF can forget about it and move on.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
closesquarters

Security System

Just read your post today. Sorry to hear you were being harassed by thieves. My wife and I go camping almost every weekend 5 months out of the year. We wanted a security system for the house... but didn't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to a security company. Then I looked into these wireless surveillance cameras. There are many companies that make them if you search a bit... I ended up picking up a camera by Foscam, model# FI8910W. Here's their website: http://foscam.us/

Here is a link to a 2 minute video demo of the camera and how it works:

I like 4 things about this system. 1) I don't pay a service monthly. 2) No wires as it operates wirelessly off home wifi network (although needs electric outlet). 3) I have it set up to send emails to my smartphone when it detects motion. 4) I can view the camera live from a smartphone, iPad, or any computer connected to the Internet.

The camera is about a hundred bucks. Only drawback I see for some is the setup. I'm no computer expert but had the camera up and running in about an hour so I could view it on my home network. Viewing the camera from a remote location (not on home network) took a lot longer... about three hours including a lot of research. Works great though. Have had it for about a month.

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
azlee56

Thanks, I'll take a look at those too. I do want wireless though. I am not sure how many cameras yet.