Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
dave-g

Smile Backing In Using Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Hi Charger
I've been pulling fifthwheels since 1990 and one thing I'll tell you is that they will follow you anywhere, LOL. Be safe and if you married get a set of walkie Talkies and listen to the DW while backing, that way if you hit something you'll have someone else to blame for it.
I use my cell phone on speaker. This works great because it is hands free.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Dave-g reply

Ditto....cell phones work great. Wife has hers as normal, mine in cab on speaker. People have commented on how effortlessly we navigate in / out / around tight spots without "yelling". We LIE and just smile and say "experience".
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
f6bits

Doesn’t the split-second delay throw you off? We use hand signals. No finger signals, thankfully.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Hand signals vs cell phone

No delay...BUT...as a back up we also learned the hand signal approach. The ISSUE with hand signals for me is DW seems to dislike her image in my mirror and WANDERS
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
ktmracer

cell phones are handy for backing up IF you have cell phone reception. We do maybe 50% of the time, till the cell phone booster amp is plugged in.

So we carry a pair of the motorola talkabout portable radios. use those most of the time.

and the sites that are the toughest to get into are inevitably the ones w/o cell service!! as one might expect.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
rhagfo

Unless the spot is Banjo tight DW stays in the cab, and I use the mirrors to place the trailer.

If there are kids around, DW is out making sure one doesn't get in the way. Tightest place I park is the storage yard, and DW is never there!

If I hit something, it is my fault and there is no one to blame, but myself.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
cmssorrell

I brought walkie talkies, they have work out great.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

When we put the hitch on the back of the fifth wheel, I installed a camera system. There's a microphone in the cam and a speaker on the monitor. Nice perk and no longer need the hand (or finger) signals, however they do occasionally slip in there......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Outbackmel

Toys

Some of us have to "eat" and cannot afford all of these luxurious toys like cameras, etc. My cell phone is so cheap it has a crank!

Besides sometimes the "finger" signal is theraputic....especially when the DW DOES NOT see the expression!

Remember: it's ALWAYS the outside person's fault...no exception...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Bob Landry

Cell phones? Really? My mirrors work fine, and I'm parking a 35' trailer. DW does stand in the back to watch for limbs and the occasional tree. I had a problem with her staying in my mirror, but after a couple of times of just stopping and waiting for her to come up to the cab, she got the message. I think a cell phone or walkie talkie would be a great distraction.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

Yep it is hard keeping dw in view. The radios work great i do not need to talk i am a good husband i just listen she talks, have not hit anything yet.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

OUTBACKMEL, I also have a basic cell phone, I think it's about 8 or 9 years old. We even converted it to one of the prepay plans and I still don't use all my minutes quarterly... So, like you (except for the crank on the side) am technology challenged when it comes to communications equipment... But as for the price of the camera system, it was only $159 which included the day/night camera, all wiring (65 ft) with quick disconnects at the trailer/tow vehicle and the 7" color monitor. When I went to PepBoys, their "el cheapo" wireless stuff was the same price. Couldn't say no to it once I saw the price of all the "expensive systems" that CW and others sell....

Total price, including shipping and buying the bit to cut the holes for the connectors was less than $175. I bought it a couple of years ago, so not sure what they run now, but certainly nowhere near the CW pricing....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
cumminsdad08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Cell phones? Really? My mirrors work fine, and I'm parking a 35' trailer. DW does stand in the back to watch for limbs and the occasional tree. I had a problem with her staying in my mirror, but after a couple of times of just stopping and waiting for her to come up to the cab, she got the message. I think a cell phone or walkie talkie would be a great distraction.
x2, my wife usually makes it harder for me to concentrate on what is going on. sometimes i will drop her off at the bath house and quick slip it in the spot with out her.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Tim&Patty

Cell phones, radios, cameras, you guys all have great ideas to ruin a perfectly good pastime of mine "Watching the disintegration of the Husband and Wife bond".

Happy Parking

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
dspriggs

We have found that the cell phones are required at the tightest back in spot (the storage slot). Otherwise we use hand signals unless the camp spot has a lot of limbs and other obstacles or kids milling around. Then the phones come out again. I think I have saved a few marriages at the storage yard by suggesting the cell phone trick to couples who were using their sporting event voices to communicate during backing.

PawPaw and KJMiMi
2010 Keystone Cougar 302 RLS
2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Gas
Allison Transmission
Equal-i-zer Tow Hitch
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
rhagfo

LOL, I get a good laugh reading through this! LOL

I can't believe that so many have such a hard time going backwards around a corner!
The most important thing I remember when backing is place my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and push the wheel the direction I want the back of the trailer to go. I have also learned that you need to start to straiten out sooner than later!
Just place my 5er in a banjo tight spot across from the check-in house, had it in in no time with DW and friend out walking the dogs.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Patty View Post
Cell phones, radios, cameras, you guys all have great ideas to ruin a perfectly good pastime of mine "Watching the disintegration of the Husband and Wife bond".

Happy Parking
Love this post because my DW and I no doubt have entertained many people before the purchase of our two way radios.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
cathcartww

I back with the mirrors, but need the DW to spot for tree limbs, etc ...

The cell phones work great, as we have hands free in the van. If there is no cell phone coverage, our iPhones have a free app that lets them work as walkie-talkies using the wi-fi capabilities. ...

We also had a problem with left and right until we changed our terminology to passenger side/driver side ...

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
CampDestinations.com

#1 - My DW absolutely hates trying to guide me when backing the camper, and #2 - She hates yelling even more than that. We have a set of walkies that I keep in the dash for when it's an absolute must, but because of #1, I study the spot and approach carefully, and then use the mirrors. I spent extra on the biggest "dumbo ear" mirrors I could buy just because I knew I'd be goin' at it alone. Quite frankly, I like it better that way too.

Cell phones could work quite well too, but I just got back from Happy Hills Campground just outside of Hancock, MD and there was absolutely zero cell signal. All combined our group carried AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint and couldn't even register a single signal bar. Have a backup plan :-)
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
f6bits

Once I crank the wheel to angle the trailer in, I have no visibility on the street side of the trailer, and that’s where the pedestal is. That’s where DW comes in handy with her hand signals. It’s pretty smooth since she’s very methodical and thinks like me. No need for radios.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote