Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
sauerld

Question No Juice

Today I went to hook up my 2013 Alpine 3450 RL. I always unhook the battery when I park it for long periods. I hooked the battery up and went to the jack pad panel to raise the jacks and nothing. Figured it was the battery so I jumped it for several minutes, nothing. Got my test light and had power to all the terminals in the control center by the batteries. Went inside and turned light switches on. No power anywhere. Could it be the main breaker? I didn't have time to pull it. HELP!
sauerld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
14george

Chech the battery cut off switch make sure it’s on
Old 01-11-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
sauerld

I switched it off and on several times to no avail. Thanks
Old 01-11-2021, 05:05 AM   #4
ChuckS

put a meter on the battery you connected to and see if it has power .. if it does then you have an issue with a connection at battery or battery cutoff switch..

jumping it for several minutes is not going to do anything to help much with that dead battery..

if the Alpine has set for more than a month or so with battery connected and cutoff switch turned the battery is still gonna be dead..

Remove battery and get another one if this one cant hold a charge.. the charging is gonna take several hours.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:10 AM   #5
sauerld

I have power at the battery and beyond. I checked each terminal beyond the battery. Not sure where to check the shut-off switch. Probably have to figure how to pull it out.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Did you remove the battery? Any chance you reversed the battery cables? If you do, even for an instant it will blow the two reverse polarity fuses in the power distribution center.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 AM   #7
ChuckS

HIs reverse polarity fuses will not be on the power distribution center in the Alpine.. They are on the back side of the converter itself

Old 01-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #8
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauerld View Post
I have power at the battery and beyond. I checked each terminal beyond the battery. Not sure where to check the shut-off switch. Probably have to figure how to pull it out.
What terminals are you checking that you say have 12 volts power? I know the Alpine 12 volt wire layout from end to end

if the level up panel isn't turning on and the interior lights aren't coming on you've got issues with the battery terminals connected at battery

The level up panel outside gets its power directly from the battery and doesn't go thru cutoff switch, doesn't go thru power center panel, etc.. either poor connections at battery terminals or ground from battery to chassis is loose or corroded.

Even if the reverse polarity fuses are blown on your converter the Lippert level up will work ... it is not wired at all to power center...

Let me know if you want help... Id be looking at the battery connections and ground ...

Old 01-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
ChuckS

Well just wondered if you got you 12 volt DC power issues resolved there on that Alpine?

Old 01-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #10
sauerld

No, had to leave town. I dont know what everything is called in the battery area but i put a test light from the battery to each terminal in the battery area and i got a good test every time so I figured the juice was going through to each one. I tested on the front side and back side of each terminal. I didn't have a meter so didn't check the voltage. But not one light worked in our outside including the control pad for the jacks. What next?
Old 01-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauerld View Post
No, had to leave town. I dont know what everything is called in the battery area but i put a test light from the battery to each terminal in the battery area and i got a good test every time so I figured the juice was going through to each one. I tested on the front side and back side of each terminal. I didn't have a meter so didn't check the voltage. But not one light worked in our outside including the control pad for the jacks. What next?
If you used a test light with the ground clipped to the battery negative post and everything lit up OK then I'm guessing you have a bad ground to the frame.Not uncommon after several years for the ground connection on the trailer frame to corrode or the terminal to break off the ground wire.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
cavie

the disconnect switch is a latching relay requiring 12 volt power to turn on and off. It will not turn on without 12 volts. You need to remove the battery and charge it.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #13
ChuckS

IF you have 12 volts at battery and the Lippert control panel is not lighting up or turning on AND no inside lights then you’ve got a ground issue

The level up panel is wired directly to the battery and doesn’t route thru battery disconnect switch

Also... the type of battery disconnect switch installed in your Alpine is a simple two pole on off with NO holding relay and NO requirement to need power to be able to energize the circuit.

If the key can’t be remove and the contacts on the switch are good then your power will pass thru

I’d he removing the ground cable from battery to the inside chassis fro7nd and clean that area and reinstall.

Also remove and clean all battery terminal ends at the battery..

This is a simple system... but an inexpensive multi meter from Wally World would be worth its weight in gold to help you

Old 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

What CuckS said. The easiest way to troubleshoot the ground is to take a set of jumper cables. Connect one black clamp on neg battery post and the other black clamp on a good frame ground like a bolt head ot hitch pin or for travel trailer the bolts that hold down the tongue jack. If it works then the ground is broken somewhere.