Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
jasin1

Cat scale app

If anyone is interested I downloaded the cat scale “weigh my truck app “And it’s really nice
After reading all the posts on towing overweight and towing with 3/4 ton trucks I decided to be safe and have everything weighed. The App itself took a few minutes to download to iPhone and I linked it to my paypal account. It’s super simple. When you arrive at a cat scale it automatically identifies it by gps on your phone and you just pull on the scale and it takes all of 1 min. Don’t have to go in to the counter and pay or talk to anyone on the intercom. It immediately displayed the weights and emailed a copy to me. I dropped the rv at the campground and went back and did a reweigh on just the truck. It knew it was probably a reweigh and asked me that. I’m really impressed. I wasn’t looking forward to dealing with intercoms and not hearing what the people were trying to tell me if I did it the traditional way. This was completely uneventful and simple. I highly recommend
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Northofu1

I have it, you're right, it's awesome.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
rhagfo

Well how did you scale out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well how did you scale out.
4840 steer axle
5800 drive
9480 trailer
20120 total

Truck was 4800 steer
3340 drive
8140 total

2012 ram 2500 max trail 14550
Gcwr 22000
5500 front
6010 rear
4:10 gears auto 6.7 diesel
Firestone airbags and compressor and brand new Michelin Ltxm/s tires

Trailer was loaded heavy as well as truck. I’m starting to ditch things from truck and trailer like the guys in the Memphis belle trying to make it back across the channel. I’m an overpacker
Old 10-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
4840 steer axle
5800 drive
9480 trailer
20120 total

Truck was 4800 steer
3340 drive
8140 total

Gcwr 22000
5500 front
6010 rear

Trailer was loaded heavy as well as truck. I’m starting to ditch things from truck and trailer like the guys in the Memphis belle trying to make it back across the channel. I’m an overpacker
Well you didn't state the 2500's GVWR, if in 2012, two years before Ram's big GVWR leap for 2500, is you GVWR 10,000# or is it less? If it is 10K you only need to loose 640#, some necessary items can be moved to the 5er as then you only carry a percentage of the weight. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
jasin1

Gvwr 9600 for my 2012 ram 2500
Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like you're about 1040 pounds over your truck GVW. That's exactly the reason we don't have a new, larger fifth wheel sitting in the pole barn right now, waiting for camping season....

It looks like you've got some decisions to make, whether to continue towing with the understanding that you're "over payload, but just under your RAWR" or whether to downsize the trailer/upsize the truck..... While possible, it's tough to "shed 1,040 pounds from the pin and truck cargo". Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It looks like you're about 1040 pounds over your truck GVW. That's exactly the reason we don't have a new, larger fifth wheel sitting in the pole barn right now, waiting for camping season....

It looks like you've got some decisions to make, whether to continue towing with the understanding that you're "over payload, but just under your RAWR" or whether to downsize the trailer/upsize the truck..... While possible, it's tough to "shed 1,040 pounds from the pin and truck cargo". Good Luck
I appreciate your input. You seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject. I have a few questions if you have time.
switching to lithium batteries and installing in rear of trailer? My wife and I have a lot of extra cabinet space because it’s primarily short trips and weekends. Maybe pantry floor? My weights were with two new Trojan 105 batteries in front storage
Moving the spare tire to Bal carrier in rear?
Also my truck and frnt pass through had all kinds of extra tools and 5’ 2x 10 s for leveling(air compressor torque wrenches and socket sets) inflatable kayak (heavy duty model with case)
I could switch to a Anderson hitch?
And I know this sounds crazy but even my back seats in my truck which are leather I don’t ever use. Keep them folded up. I could remove and put in my garage at home.
Keep my pass through lighter and store stuff in cabinets over rear sofa? I’m
Old 10-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
jasin1

I’m not opposed to getting a new truck but want to explore all options
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

IMO you are going to extremes. Once upon a time I was a bit overweight, not as much as you, but a bit overweight and moving, removing and weighing every M&M is for the birds. If it's possible get the new truck; life is too short to go through all that and not be able to fully enjoy the RVing experience.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
jasin1

Thanks I’m going to look things over and make a decision. I was hoping to wait a year or two because I feel like cars and trucks are at a point where technology and safety is changing rapidly in model years and was hoping for it to plateau out before taking the plunge. It’s no fun buying new then seeing a dramatic new feature the next model year. I had a 08 Escalade and for 09 Bluetooth came standard But safety does come first and Technology isn’t always perfect the first or second model year.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

The "problem" with dumping stuff out to make a weight work is it typically ends up being a very temporary "fix". It's like shedding weight off your body. You start out being very strict with your diet then slowly you think "well one potato won't hurt", or today I'm celebrating x so I'll have a small piece of cake.".

Weight is cumulative and you remove all that "stuff" that you obviously though was necessary is now gone. Then you say well this trip I'm going to take the inflatable boat. Problemmis, with most folks it doesn't come back out. Before you know it you're right back where you started.

To me it makes far more sense to have a capable truck for the task at hand. Not having the ability to take what you want on a trip because your truck is on the verge is not enjoyable to me. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The "problem" with dumping stuff out to make a weight work is it typically ends up being a very temporary "fix". It's like shedding weight off your body. You start out being very strict with your diet then slowly you think "well one potato won't hurt", or today I'm celebrating x so I'll have a small piece of cake.".

Weight is cumulative and you remove all that "stuff" that you obviously though was necessary is now gone. Then you say well this trip I'm going to take the inflatable boat. Problemmis, with most folks it doesn't come back out. Before you know it you're right back where you started.

To me it makes far more sense to have a capable truck for the task at hand. Not having the ability to take what you want on a trip because your truck is on the verge is not enjoyable to me. YMMV

You have a good point. I originally walked away from a beautiful lifestyles fifth wheel because I understood the limitations of the truck. I didn’t want to buy a new truck because I was trying to be more responsible and less impulsive as I get older. And my truck sits parked most of the time And is payed off. I have always got a new truck or car every few years and was feeling pretty good about keeping one for once. I was all set to buy a 303rls which is a little smaller and found water intrusion on final walkthrough so dealer bumped me up to 315rls which initially looked similar in weight specs ..I just bought all new tires for truck and Tpms system for trailer And I’m trying to be safe. I think I’m gonna look at what is on the truck and trailer and do a reweigh and see if it makes any sense. If it doesn’t look good I guess it’s off to buy a dually that will sit parked between trips ughhh
Old 10-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
You have a good point. I originally walked away from a beautiful lifestyles fifth wheel because I understood the limitations of the truck. I didn’t want to buy a new truck because I was trying to be more responsible and less impulsive as I get older. And my truck sits parked most of the time And is payed off. I have always got a new truck or car every few years and was feeling pretty good about keeping one for once. I was all set to buy a 303rls which is a little smaller and found water intrusion on final walkthrough so dealer bumped me up to 315rls which initially looked similar in weight specs ..I just bought all new tires for truck and Tpms system for trailer And I’m trying to be safe. I think I’m gonna look at what is on the truck and trailer and do a reweigh and see if it makes any sense. If it doesn’t look good I guess it’s off to buy a dually that will sit parked between trips ughhh
Correction..... dealer bumped me from a 307 res to a 315rls
Old 10-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
LewisB

Don't beat yourself up over this! I bet most of the people on this forum have "been there done that" when I comes to fighting the size/weight battle with increasingly large RV's. Life is too short to worry about "stuff". While you do need to act responsibly, you are doing the right thing - asking questions, considering options - staying open to suggestions. You will figure it out and get there in time...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
jasin1

Thanks I appreciate
Old 10-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
4840 steer axle
5800 drive
9480 trailer
20120 total

Truck was 4800 steer
3340 drive
8140 total

Gcwr 22000
5500 front
6010 rear

Well other than you have a GVWR that is 800# more than our 2001 Ram 2500. We were at 2,700# Pin your is 2500#, I started figuring where I would be with a 350/3500 with a GVWR of 12,300 (Ram), and cam to the conclusion that I would have no room to grow with a 3500 SRW. We chose to get a 3500 DRW with 14,000# GVWR and a 5,411# payload.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #18
jasin1

Anyone know the restrictions especially in MD as far as registration on vehicles over 10000 gvwr and weigh stations along the route? Do you have to stop? I’m sure insurance is going to be higher. I had a 1 ton cube truck for my business at one time and kept getting pulled over for spot inspections and it got to be a real pain. Sold the truck because of it. Was told I needed a dot number and that opened a slew of spam dot mailings to this day that drive me crazy
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Anyone know the restrictions especially in MD as far as registration on vehicles over 10000 gvwr and weigh stations along the route? Do you have to stop? I’m sure insurance is going to be higher. I had a 1 ton cube truck for my business at one time and kept getting pulled over for spot inspections and it got to be a real pain. Sold the truck because of it. Was told I needed a dot number and that opened a slew of spam dot mailings to this day that drive me crazy
As for registration look on MVA website, they have online chat for questions. Weigh stations in Maryland are for commercial vehichles only. A non commercial vehichle, even class A pushers don't need to stop.

As for your insurance the only person that can answer that question is your agent or insurance company.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #20
jasin1

[QUOTE=flybouy;419112]As for registration look on MVA website, they have online chat for questions. Weigh stations in Maryland are for commercial vehichles only. A non commercial vehichle, even class A pushers don't need to stop.

As for your insurance the only person that can answer that question is your agent or insurance company.[/QUOTE

Sorry if I asked too many questions. I guess I don’t understand how forums work. Was hoping that someone who had a non commercial 1 ton vehicle could give me real world advice. Mva rules can be hard to decipher unless your a lawyer. Anyway thanks for the feedback