Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
Beachside

Camper's GVWR?

Buddy and I were talking and now I'm kinda second guessing myself. Lets say your camper has a GVWR of 15,000lbs. You load all your stuff and fill the fresh water tank and now it weighs 15,500k. I say you are over your GVWR and you need to loose some weight. He said that once you hook it to the TV, your hitch weight comes off the trailer, say, 3100lbs. So now your camper is only carrying 12,400lbs, so you are under your GVWR. I say he is only considering the axle ratings and not the weight that is still on the entire structure and frame. He says that the weight is not on the frame because the tow vehicle is supporting that weight. Please tell me I'm right.

2016 RAM 3500 CTD SRW MEGA CAB LIMITED
2017 FUZION 371
ANDERSON ULTIMATE HITCH
Beachside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your buddy is "spending his paycheck immediately upon cashing his check" and "then writing checks on what should have been deposited in his checking account if he'd not cashed the check on Friday afternoon"...

You can't have it both ways !!!!!

When the factory established the GVW, they considered the maximum axle capacity AND the pin/tongue weight. Added together, they both support the GVW. That's the way the factory "gets away with two 4400 pound axles under a 10K GVW trailer. The rest of the weight is supported by the pin/tongue...

In his "analogy" he's deducting the pin/tongue weight two times (like spending his cash and having it in his checking account at the same time)...

There's no way he can "stay under the 8800 pound axle capacity and stay under the trailer GVW by deducting the pin/tongue weight twice, once to attain the GVW and then to increase the GVW.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
notanlines

Beachside, John certainly doesn't need me to back him up, but I'm here to tell you he is exactly on the money. Your friend isn't the first to try to sneak into the drive-in hiding in the trunk and he won't be the last.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Must be that new math... or is that chiper?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Math.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	30517  
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
Buddy and I were talking and now I'm kinda second guessing myself. Lets say your camper has a GVWR of 15,000lbs. You load all your stuff and fill the fresh water tank and now it weighs 15,500k. I say you are over your GVWR and you need to loose some weight. He said that once you hook it to the TV, your hitch weight comes off the trailer, say, 3100lbs. So now your camper is only carrying 12,400lbs, so you are under your GVWR. I say he is only considering the axle ratings and not the weight that is still on the entire structure and frame. He says that the weight is not on the frame because the tow vehicle is supporting that weight. Please tell me I'm right.
Yeah, and when my 16k 5vr is on all six hydraulic legs the trailer weighs zero.... Your right.👍
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Reminds me of the guy driving the truck load of chickens. Every mile or so he would stop the truck. He'd get out with a large stick in his hand and beat on the side of the truck. Then he'd get back in. After driving a couple of miles he'd stop and repeat the ritual.

A driver following witnessed this a couple of times and curiosity got the best of him. The next time the truck stopped the driver following him got out and asked what he was doing. The truck driver said that at the weigh station he was overweight so he has to keep the chickens flying so wouldn't get a ticket.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Reminds me of the guy driving the truck load of chickens. Every mile or so he would stop the truck. He'd get out with a large stick in his hand and beat on the side of the truck. Then he'd get back in. After driving a couple of miles he'd stop and repeat the ritual.

A driver following witnessed this a couple of times and curiosity got the best of him. The next time the truck stopped the driver following him got out and asked what he was doing. The truck driver said that at the weigh station he was overweight so he has to keep the chickens flying so wouldn't get a ticket.
Ha - they only need to fly while on the scale, right?!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote