Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #61
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Chuckster, would a dealership have someone with the skills to fix a crack in the fiberglass and then touch up the paint? Sounds like autobody shop stuff and not sure that an autobody shop has techs that work fiberglass. Just curious.
My brother in law from Minnesota while visiting us in Leander wrecked his motorhome. (Backed into a pole). He took it to Crestview which is where we bought our Alpine. They had a complete body shop and repaired it like new. So yes some dealers have body shops to repair items.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #62
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Depends on the dealership. One dealership I worked at had two locations and a dedicated body shop at one. Last dealership I was at used a mobile guy for small repairs.

Based on my perusal of a youtube video, looks like the edge trim will need to be removed and a V in the crack ground in. Then some sanding prep and a few coats of glass fiber laid in and just over the crack area and then rough sand down flat and then a finish sand. The area will need to be primed and then painted. It wasn't that big a deal as it first appeared as I thought perhaps the whole skin on that side would need to be replaced. The video showed use of a Bondo type stuff (but it was yellow) to get sanding and swirl marks out of the final sanded glass coat. I think I would attempt this repair myself, if needed if I could get matching final coat paint.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #63
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
My brother in law from Minnesota while visiting us in Leander wrecked his motorhome. (Backed into a pole). He took it to Crestview which is where we bought our Alpine. They had a complete body shop and repaired it like new. So yes some dealers have body shops to repair items.

I lived up in Leander a few years ago (well more than a few) when it was out in the country but is now just connected to Austin. I was shocked last time up there it had developed so much.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #64
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I lived up in Leander a few years ago (well more than a few) when it was out in the country but is now just connected to Austin. I was shocked last time up there it had developed so much.
Yes sir George. From Jarrell to actually San Antonio it's one continuous city. One reason I sold out and left.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #65
johnnybadger

I haven’t read every comment, so this may already have been fully addressed. But I do agree with one of the earlier comments. To me, the question is why it happened. How to fix it and who will pay to fix it are important questions too. But knowing why it happened will give you the long-term answer you need. I am a buffoon when it comes to things mechanical. But my worry would be there is some fundamental structural flaw that might have caused this.
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana