Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
BeagleMan

20 Amp alternative

Hi guys.

When DW and I were looking in this Montana 3763BP, it has a W/D prep of course....Always knew that with 5ers, but this time we had a pretty good sales guy with us. He explained that the W/D is wired to a 20 amp circuit. And it got me to wondering....If we did not, and we won't, is there anything else we could add on to or use or what, on those 20amp circuits? IS that possible?
Thanks

AC
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Hi guys.

When DW and I were looking in this Montana 3763BP, it has a W/D prep of course....Always knew that with 5ers, but this time we had a pretty good sales guy with us. He explained that the W/D is wired to a 20 amp circuit. And it got me to wondering....If we did not, and we won't, is there anything else we could add on to or use or what, on those 20amp circuits? IS that possible?
Thanks

AC
I use a portable A/C in ours for the summer evenings and nights. So much quieter than the Dometic on the roof and it keeps everything nice a cool. Anyway, I extended/branched off the circuit for the water heater and installed a residential outlet further up on the bunk wall behind the dinette where the portable A/C sits (and W/H is on propane). During the winter the portable is no longer needed and the W/H goes back into electric mode while the furnace is using the propane. (I also unplug the W/H from its dedicated outlet so that there's no chance of it being turned to electrical mode while the A/C is running.

So - that may be an option for you.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

There will be 2 outlets where the W/D would go. You could use an extension cord of proper size to power something but I suspect you’d have to constantly be aware of a tripping hazard ( I mean falling over not tripping the breaker). I might be inclined to set up a charging station, or just leave it alone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Quote:
Hi guys.

Thanks

AC
So I'm further curious... if the rig comes with a W/D prep, why not use it for that purpose?
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hi guys.

Thanks

AC
There is no difference than a 20 Amp circuit in your house. You can use it for anything that's rated 20 amps or less. But just because it's there doesn't mean you need to use it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If you are going to take off for long periods as you're thinking about, or going full time, you may want to think about that washer/dryer. We've been doing this for years but only recently started spending 3-5 months at a time in the RV. DW put up with the laundromats for as long as she could but put her foot down; no more standing in line, no more trying to find change, no more broken machines and no more soiled machines that would mess up your clothes. Wow! She just did it all the time and I folded my clothes, LITTLE did I know! I now have a washer and dryer - she "beams" come laundry day and....I "beam" with her!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you are going to take off for long periods as you're thinking about, or going full time, you may want to think about that washer/dryer. We've been doing this for years but only recently started spending 3-5 months at a time in the RV. DW put up with the laundromats for as long as she could but put her foot down; no more standing in line, no more trying to find change, no more broken machines and no more soiled machines that would mess up your clothes. Wow! She just did it all the time and I folded my clothes, LITTLE did I know! I now have a washer and dryer - she "beams" come laundry day and....I "beam" with her!!
When I was a young lad and got into my first rental apartment that had a full sized W/D included, I thought I was in heaven! I can relate to your DW, Danny. Laundromats were the worst (still are!).
Old 10-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
So I'm further curious... if the rig comes with a W/D prep, why not use it for that purpose?
Well, we really are not sure how dependable they are and might be a little fearful of that amount of water running around inside a 5er. Maybe I am wrong. I know whenever we would leave the unit for a day, we could just turn the water off. But, are they dependable? Easy/easier to use? Give me some pros and cons, please. Thanks!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Well, we really are not sure how dependable they are and might be a little fearful of that amount of water running around inside a 5er. Maybe I am wrong. I know whenever we would leave the unit for a day, we could just turn the water off. But, are they dependable? Easy/easier to use? Give me some pros and cons, please. Thanks!
Good point. I always turn off the water when we leave the campsite for an extended period of time. (I also carry PEX repair kit of fittings, PEX pipe and crimper).
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Hi guys.

Thanks

AC
Our Raptor came with 3 rooftop AC units - but two of them were wired into a "PowerShare" switch (1 breaker) and one had its own breaker; so only 2 of the 3 would run at any point in time. I removed the connections to the PowerShare switch and moved one set of AC leads to the unused washer/dryer breaker. Now I can run all 3 AC units at the same time (with a 50A service, of course). If we ever decide to use the washer/dryer, it will still work but we will need to pick between the washer/dryer or AC unit - not enough current in a 20A circuit to support both in simultaneous operation.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
BeagleMan

Email from dealer came back and said its a $2700 +tax option. Nah. Might be later down the road, when I'm old and lazy.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
Javi

95% of our camping is 2-3 night weekend trips within 150 miles of home so a washer/dryer is not a necessity, really not even a but we want it thing.

But if that changes a washer and dryer is first on the list.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
95% of our camping is 2-3 night weekend trips within 150 miles of home so a washer/dryer is not a necessity, really not even a but we want it thing.

But if that changes a washer and dryer is first on the list.
Agreed. If we do this, we will be stationary for a few months until I get my truck. We have a laundromat on site and they recently updated to all new machines. We will be ok till then. But, eventually, it will happen.

On that note tho, if and when we decide to hook up a W/D, a Solar pkg and/or a Onan 5500, would we need to always come back to this particular dealer or any Keystone dealership?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Agreed. If we do this, we will be stationary for a few months until I get my truck. We have a laundromat on site and they recently updated to all new machines. We will be ok till then. But, eventually, it will happen.

On that note tho, if and when we decide to hook up a W/D, a Solar pkg and/or a Onan 5500, would we need to always come back to this particular dealer or any Keystone dealership?
Well, back before the dawn of time (1982) I was the Onan warranty service center in Central Texas so I'll tell you that you should have it installed before you buy the trailer.
The solar system and a washer/dryer can be installed later by any knowledgeable tech.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well, back before the dawn of time (1982) I was the Onan warranty service center in Central Texas so I'll tell you that you should have it installed before you buy the trailer.
The solar system and a washer/dryer can be installed later by any knowledgeable tech.
We will work with our numbers when the time comes and see if we have the capability to do so, but, one way or the other, there will be a Onan 5500 in a Montana, which ever we choose to go with.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Very few RV dealerships are authorized Onan service centers. IIRC there is a process that involves training for the techs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Very few RV dealerships are authorized Onan service centers. IIRC there is a process that involves training for the techs.
No telling what is today, I did two weeks back then. But we didn't have computers. Heck we barely had printed circuit boards.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
dutchmensport

On my Montana High Country, the washer-dryer area has both a water hook-up and 2 separate electric plugs. We don't have a washer and dryer, so we use those plugs to keep things charged up, like flashlights, USB Power Bricks, Laptop computers, phones, all sorts of things like that. It's convenient, out of the way, and keeps a massive mess of wires confined to one spot, instead of having chargers strung all over the trailer. And yes, we use power strips so we can plug in a bunch of stuff.

To answer the OP's question, electricity is electricity. it doesn't show partiality. If you plug anything into that socket, or into that circuit, it will work, provided the total amp draw is less than 20 amps. Absolutely, you can use that circuit for anything you want. It's your camper, make it work for you.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #19
sonofcy

Quote:
If they are the Italian made Splendide they are the BEST. Other than slightly smaller they are easily the best machines we have owned. Front loaders.
As to water, you can check all the specs but off the top of my head 8 gals water per wash. I have solar and could run the washer off grid if I absolutely had to but obviously not the dryer.

I remember laundromat's as being the worst places with terrible equipment and sketchy people but your experience may be different, not sure how that will change when you travel though.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
Ribtip

Just remember not sure if all units are like this but when washing the grey tank has to be open. On ours the washing mach puts out water to fast and the tank will not take it fast enough unless the grey is open. It back flows. Found this out the hard way.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote