Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you want frameless windows, consider looking at the Alpine. It’s normally priced between the Montana and the HC, but gives you the frameless windows and hydraulic leveling, which I prefer over the electric because of the range. Electric leveling systems often get an out of stroke error which means the Jack has gone as far as it can, but your not level yet. It’s common to have to add blocks under the jacks especially if you do much dry camping in national forests instead of a close to level RV site. I personally love my Alpine and also really like the Avalanche which is the Alpine equivalent of a Montana HC, basically fewer bells and whistles than the Alpine.
GC 3.0 is now coming with rear jacks that have extendable inner legs like the landing gear.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:21 AM   #22
ChuckS

I wouldn’t own a fifth wheel that didn’t have six point hyd level up.. and I prefer all hyd slide outs.
The HC is a nice unit ... the Alpine and Montana are both Keystones top of the line luxury fifth wheels. Both are heavy...

Both have the drop frame giving you the larger basement access area ... I also am not fond of the free hanging rear wall on the HC...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #23
purebred

When we narrowed our decision from the Montana and Alpine it was a hard decision for us. Both very nice trailers. We knew the size we wanted and both models were very similar also. We finally went with the Alpine. I just couldn't figure out why engineers would design a bathroom door like the one for the Montana that made it hard to get in and out of. Also liked the dual entry door of the Alpine to bathroom. If it wasn't for that we would probably be in a Montana now.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:45 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Dumb question but... looking at quite a few campers with the Thomas Payne furniture that is a few years old... MOST of the TP furniture was obviously bonded leather aka shedding pleather and looked terrible and many pieces of this furniture would have to be tossed or recovered. Is the TP furniture still problematic in new Keystone campers?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #25
purebred

Okay so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Dumb question but... looking at quite a few campers with the Thomas Payne furniture that is a few years old... MOST of the TP furniture was obviously bonded leather aka shedding pleather and looked terrible and many pieces of this furniture would have to be tossed or recovered. Is the TP furniture still problematic in new Keystone campers?
George we've been in ours 14 months full timing it and our TP fake leather looks like new. Seems ok for now, knock on wood.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
George we've been in ours 14 months full timing it and our TP fake leather looks like new. Seems ok for now, knock on wood.
My Cougar had Thomas Payne also and the pleather looked like new after 6 years... in fact the new owners asked if we had replaced it.. The secret is to keep the blinds shut... sunlight eats pleather 3 meals a day..
Old 10-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

I looked at a Crossroads bumper pull. Was a 2014 and had a great floor plan but every bit of pleather including on the dinette backing/tops and window valances was shedding its skin like a sick snake. I see LOTS of threads in various places on the web regarding TP and this issue. We went to the RV show in San Antonio two years ago and a sales guy told me that TP had this issue fix but then he told me I could pull a 47' 5th wheel with an F150 (just kidding).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:34 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
The new TP is a different material and seems to be holding up very well. In the 3 years I’ve been selling RVs I have not heard a single complaint.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I wouldn’t own a fifth wheel that didn’t have six point hyd level up.. and I prefer all hyd slide outs.
The HC is a nice unit ... the Alpine and Montana are both Keystones top of the line luxury fifth wheels. Both are heavy...

Both have the drop frame giving you the larger basement access area ... I also am not fond of the free hanging rear wall on the HC...
HC and Avalanche also have drop frame. Basically the HC is the same design and structure as the Montana just a lower trim level to reduce the price, Avalanche is the the same design and structure as the Alpine, but lower trim level to reduce the price. The HC and Avalanche will use a smaller frame on lighter models. HC has Electric leveling, the Avalanche keeps the hydraulic system. I’m with you on the Hydraulic which is one of the reasons I really like the Avalanche if looking to save a bit from the Alpine price. I also love the wide body and the extra space it offers, but there are enough differences and pros and cons to each line to make the Montana and HC a better choice for some.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
HC and Avalanche also have drop frame. Basically the HC is the same design and structure as the Montana just a lower trim level to reduce the price, Avalanche is the the same design and structure as the Alpine, but lower trim level to reduce the price. The HC and Avalanche will use a smaller frame on lighter models. HC has Electric leveling, the Avalanche keeps the hydraulic system. I’m with you on the Hydraulic which is one of the reasons I really like the Avalanche if looking to save a bit from the Alpine price. I also love the wide body and the extra space it offers, but there are enough differences and pros and cons to each line to make the Montana and HC a better choice for some.
When we were looking for a new trailer we had made up our minds that this would be our last trailer and so cost wasn't going to be an issue.
We looked at comparable models of the Montana, Montana HC, Alpine and Avalanche.

Our specifications were 34 to 35 feet, drop frame, 7,000 axles, G-rated tires, two whisper quiet A/C units, 12 gallon hot water tank, rear living, and upgraded interior, large shower, storage in bath, full queen or king bed.

Things that we didn't care about, built in vacuum, wine racks, convection microwave, accent lighting, heated chairs, quadruple stereo speakers, outdoor kitchens, outside TV's, cameras or any of that foo-foo stuff..

After looking at all of the trailers that fit our lists, we boiled it down to the Alpine or Avalanche.. and the Alpine almost won because of the auto cord wheel storage.. but I couldn't convince myself that that one item was worth the $7K markup...
Old 10-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Our last trailer was a 2014 and the TP pleather started flaking early on. It was always either covered or the blinds down. It just started getting "flaky" and would peel off. When looking at the new trailers many, if not most, had the TP furniture. I asked about the issue and they told me that the material and process had been changed. Haven't had it long enough to know if it helped or not but it does feel different than the last coverings.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #32
ChuckS

Yea the built in vac is a waste for us.. Dirt devil unit... it does a really good job but hose is cumbersome.. haven’t used it in 5 years..we bought a lite weight Shark and it’s light, great suction, easy to clean..

Furniture .. not sure if brand..is as good as the day we bought it in 2014..

Wife likes the convection microwave and so far the RV style Dometic 1350 has been flawless on electric and propane..

We don’t have a stereo. No outside speakers.. do like the Bose sound bar.. TVs both Samsung...

Hyd system for slides and levelers flawless..

Glad we don’t have..
.. In Command
.. KeyTV

Mine is the baby of the Alpine series at 34 feet... matches well with our short bed GMC

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #33
purebred

We love the addition of the built in vacuum. Works great. Love the DVD player, radio and stereo. Also the Samsung fridge, whisper air and especially the heat pump. We downsized the queen size bed to a smaller full size with 11 inch mattress. Love the extra room. As far as the rest of the furion appliances they all work great.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yea the built in vac is a waste for us.. Dirt devil unit... it does a really good job but hose is cumbersome.. haven’t used it in 5 years..we bought a lite weight Shark and it’s light, great suction, easy to clean..

Furniture .. not sure if brand..is as good as the day we bought it in 2014..

Wife likes the convection microwave and so far the RV style Dometic 1350 has been flawless on electric and propane..

We don’t have a stereo. No outside speakers.. do like the Bose sound bar.. TVs both Samsung...

Hyd system for slides and levelers flawless..

Glad we don’t have..
.. In Command
.. KeyTV

Mine is the baby of the Alpine series at 34 feet... matches well with our short bed GMC
The 3121RS is the one we were looking at.. oh... we got Key TV so far it ain't bad but the omni-directional antenna pretty much sucks.. Thankfully we mostly watch old movies anyway..
Old 10-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #35
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The 3121RS is the one we were looking at.. oh... we got Key TV so far it ain't bad but the omni-directional antenna pretty much sucks.. Thankfully we mostly watch old movies anyway..
Just the opposite experience with keytv here. Had numerous problems with the keytv box. After installing a dc voltage power injector with the supplied omni-directional antenna our tv outlets work great.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #36
BeagleMan

Quote:
Whats the alternative to KeyTV? Went to dealer Monday to look around and the one we liked has that. Do I really need it? We are thinking if we have a Direct TV account, which we do, and thought of setting up a tripod at sites, once feasible and just activate it again. Could we tell them to de-activate it if we bought one in the future?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #37
purebred

Problem is the keytv box has a satellite input for your dish. If it happens to work you will be ok. If not you could always go direct to your tvs with your cable.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Whats the alternative to KeyTV? Went to dealer Monday to look around and the one we liked has that. Do I really need it? We are thinking if we have a Direct TV account, which we do, and thought of setting up a tripod at sites, once feasible and just activate it again. Could we tell them to de-activate it if we bought one in the future?
If you like Direct TV and have an account I'd have them install a roof mounted DTV dish before I bought it..

Everyone pretty much says the KeyTV sucks.. so far mind doesn't but we don't watch that much TV when we're camping.. I've got hundreds of old westerns

As for alternatives to the actual KeyTV system I don't know but I'm pretty sure I will either cross that bridge when the time comes or blow it up and swim across..
Old 10-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #39
purebred

Quote:
If you like Direct TV and have an account I'd have them install a roof mounted DTV dish before I bought it..

Everyone pretty much says the KeyTV sucks.. so far mind doesn't but we don't watch that much TV when we're camping.. I've got hundreds of old westerns

As for alternatives to the actual KeyTV system I don't know but I'm pretty sure I will either cross that bridge when the time comes or blow it up and swim across..
I have to agree with Javi on this. Seems to me local over the air tv is a hit or miss in an rv. Either you have a good signal and good channels or you don't. I'm like the rest and would prefer a good FREE tv signal but more and more it's just not there. I am getting where i prefer, 1st a good cell phone signal and 2nd a good cheap internet service. We lucked out here in Harlingen with being able to get 50 mb service for 20.00. That is hard to beat. More and more of our tv watching comes from a 20.00 dollar ROKU hooked to a good internet signal.There is thousands of tv stations free for the watching.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #40
BeagleMan

Quote:

Well, I have talked to other campers here who have theirs on a tripod and it works well, but in our spot it is obviously coveted because our "frontyard" is directly south and the tripod would work well. But, I wouldn't mind it on the roof. If I could have a retractable dish when traveling.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana