Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
moore

insurance

Do I need additional insurance for my 5th wheel? Or does my reg truck insurance cover me while driving? thank you for your help.
moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
440justin

If you want full coverage on the trailer then yes you will likely need to add it to your policy. Most truck policies only cover the trailer being towed by the truck for liability when connected.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

As stated above, my vehicle insurance covers while it's connected to the truck. If you store it at home your homeowners insurance MAY cover it there. If you keep it at a storage lot then most likely not. If you have a loan most institutions require full coverage to protect the loan.

I'm recommend you consult your insurance agent/company. We have ours insured with the same agent & company that has our house and auto policy and it has come in handy.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^x2 what he said.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Things have probably changed, but when I lived in Denver, almost 50 years ago, finance companies required comp/collision on all financed vehicles. Liability coverage was, at that time, and is, currently, a good idea. Even if "homeowners insurance covers it when parked at home and tow vehicle insurance covers it when connected to the truck, what about when it's in storage off the owner's property (think at the dealership, waiting service) and what about when it's set up in a campground and the tow vehicle is at the grocery store getting ingredients for smores and the trailer burns down or the neighbor's kid gets his finger caught in the leveling jack and cuts a tendon in his finger..... Don't expect the state or the COE to pick up the medical bills, and I'd suspect most private campgrounds have a clause (that you signed on registration) stating you acknowledge they have no liability for any accidents that occur on "your rented space"...

So, "whether or not things have changed on Colorado in the past 50 years" I'd strongly encourage you to contact YOUR insurance agent and get answers to those questions. Relying on the "comments by some unknown member of an internet forum" is not a "sure bet that you won't have any problems if something should happen" …..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I work for a major national insurance carrier and I can tell you that there are way too many variables to answer your question simply and accurately.

Ignore all the internet “experts” and talk to your agent. If your agent can’t or won’t help, find one who will. They work for you.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
Slapshoot

I would really think it would depend on where you are located. Call your local insurance agent to find out for sure.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
larryflew

You've heard the adage "there is no free lunch". Applies even more so to insurance.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #9
Roscommon48

yes, but discuss what you want covered with your agent...
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #10
shane8U

Quote:
As stated above, my vehicle insurance covers while it's connected to the truck. If you store it at home your homeowners insurance MAY cover it there. If you keep it at a storage lot then most likely not. If you have a loan most institutions require full coverage to protect the loan.
Exactly, it depends on each specific situation, and what exactly cases should insurance cover. A lot of people give positive recommendations about this agency ( website: https://www.general.com/ ), called General, and as I can see they offer all kinds and types of insurance, with pretty nice discount system. I think I should try them in the next few weeks.
shane8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
Keystoned

Well my sister got like $500 for their totaled 5W because their was no other insurance on it. The truck was covered fully, but not the trailer.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #12
440justin

Right, like I was saying I think in most cases your truck policy only provides liability insurance for the trailer while connected. If you want full coverage you normally need to add another policy. Also keep in mind you may have to set a declared value of the contents of the trailer (bedding, TVs, camping gear, etc).
Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
NH_Bulldog

Again, have the discussion with your agent. They will get you the coverage you need for your UNIQUE and SPECIFIC situation.

My homeowner policy covers my contents anywhere in the world at up to 10% of my coverage at home. That gets me more than enough coverage for anything in my camper.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post
Do I need additional insurance for my 5th wheel? Or does my reg truck insurance cover me while driving? thank you for your help.

Lots of replies on this and they seem to be spot on. Insurance varies state to state on coverages and what can be covered. If one wants to try to mix/match what the home might cover, the truck might cover then get some patchwork additional plan to cover what the other ones don't....well, I can assure you come a bad situation you'll have multiple insurance companies pointing multiple fingers in every direction except the one to make you whole.

I use Geico exclusively for vehicles, homes, RVs and boats (whoops - sold them). They have an exclusive RV division just for the RVs. They write policies for the RV but include the liability that you carry on the tow vehicle. They are very inclusive in the coverage; no worrying about home coverage on contents (why?) etc. etc. Ours covers total loss with new trailer of current year for 7 years. After that it is depreciated as others do. Contents, medical, loss of use, hotel rental etc. etc. etc. is included...including towing the trailer home, taking care of spouse and all that. Wouldn't have it any other way, and, by the way it's CHEAP. Note: I don't work for Geico and never have. They just have become such a bright spot for insurance companies after dealing with other "less bright" ones.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post
Do I need additional insurance for my 5th wheel? Or does my reg truck insurance cover me while driving?............
For many years I had a rider added to my truck insurance policy that applied when the trailer was connected to the truck. Now I have a separate policy that also covers the trailer when in storage. But as others have said speak with your insurance carrier about the coverage you need and its limitations.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
larryflew

Our insurance just had to be changed. Used to store in MN and winter in AZ. because of Covid we decided to leave the 5th in AZ in late March. Luckily DW called to check and found our insurance couldn't cover AZ storage.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
Beemer Phil

You should check with your insurance agent to insure you have the proper insurance for your state and situation.
Beemer Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #18
azchoco

Your truck insurance comprehensive will not cover your camper. You need to have comp for the trailer too. Ask your agent. If you have a hail storm and you do not have comp, then you are SOL because the comp on your truck will not cover that.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote