Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
Skippy38

Flex Paste vs. Dicor

Has anyone tried that new Flex Paste from Flex seal? I am wondering if it is a viable alternative to Dicor...
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
Frank G

Dicor has a proven track record and works with all RV roof systems. With the Flex Paste I am not sure what it will be like in a few years in the Florida Sun. There only clime is "it will last for years".

You may also look at Durabond Tape, again a good track record on RV roofs. I am ordering some up to cover the transition between the front cap and the roof. To me it is a better option than removing all the old sealer and applying Dicor. This seam is not leaking so it is a preventive maintenance thing to cover with the Durabond tape.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I see they are running commercials with the guy paintring on the stuff on vent seals and such. I suppose it would work, For me I will stay with the tried and true method of Dicor.

Interesting note: Forest river is using tape to seal all the roof seams.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

There is a good article on the Dicor site explaining EPDM and TPO roof materials and how Dicor is formulated specifically to bond with the material on a microscopic level. Somewhat self-serving but interesting nonetheless. I use Dicor and I am happy with the results.

https://dicorproducts.com/eblast/DP-133/a1/
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
travelin texans

Stick with the good stuff!
Leave that other miracle stuff for some guy to build boats from paper towels, chicken wire or glass.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #6
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Dicor has a proven track record and works with all RV roof systems. With the Flex Paste I am not sure what it will be like in a few years in the Florida Sun. There only clime is "it will last for years".

You may also look at Durabond Tape, again a good track record on RV roofs. I am ordering some up to cover the transition between the front cap and the roof. To me it is a better option than removing all the old sealer and applying Dicor. This seam is not leaking so it is a preventive maintenance thing to cover with the Durabond tape.
I like how the Dicor performs, was just wondering if anyone had tried the Flex stuff. Like you, I taped the rear seams as a preventative measure but I taped it with the Quick Roof Ultra Bond tape that you get at Home Depot and not the Eternabond or Durabond brand. So far it is holding up well. Mine was not leaking either, I just figured it would be good to have another barrier against water. I will be taping the front seam shortly...
Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 AM   #7
notanlines

Skippy, it would be better if you explained why you have a need to use something else.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:01 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Skippy, it would be better if you explained why you have a need to use something else.
But wait, there's more! ARE YOU DOUBTING PHIL SWIFT? I am surprised all the RV manufacturers haven't gone to that spray can glop to seal roofs! I used some to seal the downspout on a gutter and stood on the seat of my tractor. The stuff blew all over and now the tractor is covered in white Flex Seal blobs. It won't come off. Didn't stop the gutter from leaking but you can't have everything I guess...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I ... I taped the rear seams as a preventative measure but I taped it with the Quick Roof Ultra Bond tape that you get at Home Depot and not the Eternabond or Durabond brand. So far it is holding up well. ...
Some of the "bonding tape roof products" are not compatible with TPO/EPDM roofing membrane. They react chemically with the TPO/EPDM to slowly dissolve it over time. I've no idea what you're doing to your roof with that brand tape or whether it is "chemically friendly" to TPO membrane. You may find that it "seals great, looks great, there's no leaks and it's cheaper to buy" only to find in 2-3 years that the TPO under the tape is "goo" and the way you noticed it is the sticky margins around the tape seams that are filled with dirt and pine needles.....

While it may work wonderfully and not cause any problems over time, on the other hand, you may have "compromised your TPO membrane beyond repair".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap, but there is still nothing better than the original. Don't let the glitz of theatrical performances and hype fool you. You'll regret it. Stick with the products that's specifically designed for what you have. Chemical imbalances between different substances can cost you a lot more than just a buck or two. You paid too much for your camper ... don't make short cuts in it's upkeep.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some of the "bonding tape roof products" are not compatible with TPO/EPDM roofing membrane. They react chemically with the TPO/EPDM to slowly dissolve it over time. I've no idea what you're doing to your roof with that brand tape or whether it is "chemically friendly" to TPO membrane. You may find that it "seals great, looks great, there's no leaks and it's cheaper to buy" only to find in 2-3 years that the TPO under the tape is "goo" and the way you noticed it is the sticky margins around the tape seams that are filled with dirt and pine needles.....

While it may work wonderfully and not cause any problems over time, on the other hand, you may have "compromised your TPO membrane beyond repair".....

Hmmmm, reminds me of using blue Loctite threadlocker on screws through a plastic fender.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Mixing chemicals can have unpredictable or negative effects. Examples: while bleach will "remove blood stains" it will also remove most dyes from clothing as well. Paint remover will remove paint from your hands but at the cost of serious chemical burns.

I'm all for saving a buck but I'm not going to be the lab rat and test an "unknown" on my roof. Asking a question of this sort can get you an anecdotal response that may not reveal near term nor long term effects.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
Skippy38

Quote:

That would be helpful if I had a TPO/EDPM roof, but I do not. I have PVC roof and have had the tape on there for at least two years with no harmful effect at all.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I never said that I need to use something else. The original post was asking if anyone had tried it....
Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That would be helpful if I had a TPO/EDPM roof, but I do not. I have PVC roof and have had the tape on there for at least two years with no harmful effect at all.
If you have a 20015 Cougar XLite with the factory installed roof, then it's not PVC. If you have changed out the roof, then that's an entirely different situation, however, there's no mention of that in your posts. Anyway, TPO and most "big box store roofing tape" do not play well together.... YMMV

ADDED: I'd ask, based on the original post and the "further revelations" whether we're being trolled or if possibly the goalpost is moving as the thread progresses ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #16
Skippy38

Quote:
If you have a 20015 Cougar XLite with the factory installed roof, then it's not PVC. If you have changed out the roof, then that's an entirely different situation, however, there's no mention of that in your posts. Anyway, TPO and most "big box store roofing tape" do not play well together.... YMMV

ADDED: I'd ask, based on the original post and the "further revelations" whether we're being trolled or if possibly the goalpost is moving as the thread progresses ????
Exactly, who said I had a factory roof? I had a new roof installed a few years ago due to an "accident" lol, and they installed a PVC roof. I agree with you, my original question is whether anyone had any experience with the Flex Seal product, nothing about roofing tape. I never said that I used or was going to use the Flex Seal product....I just asked if anyone had any experience with it
Old 05-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Has anyone tried that new Flex Paste from Flex seal? I am wondering if it is a viable alternative to Dicor...
Quote:
Exactly, who said I had a factory roof? I had a new roof installed a few years ago due to an "accident" lol, and they installed a PVC roof. I agree with you, my original question is whether anyone had any experience with the Flex Seal product, nothing about roofing tape. I never said that I used or was going to use the Flex Seal product....I just asked if anyone had any experience with it
If you want a "fact based answer to a question" it's always appropriate to provide all the information. As this thread "grows" you've added "just enough to keep the reader guessing"....

Trying to gather facts, provide them in a logical sequence for you, when you then "add a twist"... Well, use whatever you want and let us know how it works out for you

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #18
Gary R.

The Flex Seal Paste website states the paste is safe for PVC, EIFS, EPDM, CSPE and more roof material.

Myself, I will stick with Eternabond and Dicor for our 5er.

Cheers!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #19
marks146

Quote:
I tried Flex-seal / Flex-paste on a fountain pot with a crack in one of the bowls and it lasted less than a week. Now, I've used Dicor products on my RV and it's lasted for years. Eterna-bond Tape is like magic and used in conjunction with self leveling and non-leveling Dicor caulk can't be beat.
marks146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #20
Hoopy Frood

FWIW I tried using some of the FlexSeal spray filler to stop a leaking gutter on the house. I put on three coats, waiting for each to dry between applications. And the gutter still leaks.

I would not use FlexSeal anything on something I really wanted to protect.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote