Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Any one know if the roof port for Zamp is wired the same backwards ? If so why can I not just change the fed wires to the opset to use other systems panels
Edit: after reading my long answer I thought maybe I missed the point of the question. So let me say, on my rooftop Zamp connector, the male pin is Positive. That is opposite of the general SAE connector where the Positive is usually protected by being inside the shrouded female pin. But if you've ever daisy chained SAE connectors you know that the positive and negative switch between male and female. Watch your wiring job. Try to follow the rule of thumb, red is positive, black is negative.

Glen

On my 2020 26RBSWE inside the rooftop Zamp gland the top most pin was male and connected to the positive battery post. So that wire is red inside the pass through.

I installed two Renogy 160 watt panels and bought a set of 24in long MC4 to SAE adapters to plug into the rooftop Zamp gland. In order to keep the solar panels positive wire red I had to use the SAE gender changers that came with the above adapters.

I could have easily plugged in the 24in adapter without the gender changer, but then the panel red positive wire would have been on the black wire going down in the pass through where I put the solar charge controller. Personally, I felt like I had enough wires to keep straight that I wanted positive to always be red, and black to always be negative.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:39 AM   #22
Rvgerry

Otg solar

I have 2021 29RKS 1/2 ton cougar 5r and I can't find prewired cables where I would install solar controller. I had assumed they would be found in pass through compartment. I see bubble for Romex(inverter) but no red/black wires for solar.
Rvgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:11 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvgerry View Post
I have 2021 29RKS 1/2 ton cougar 5r and I can't find prewired cables where I would install solar controller. I had assumed they would be found in pass through compartment. I see bubble for Romex(inverter) but no red/black wires for solar.
The red /black wires from the prewired solar connectors on the roof and convenience center are wired directly to the battery already. You should be able to see them running across the ceiling of your pass through storage. Mine had the romex under one plastic cover on the ceiling and there was another empty plastic cover on the wall opposite the battery’s. This is presumably where they mount the solar charger,but you could mount wherever you want.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #24
Rvgerry

Strange, the red and black wire running across ceiling in pass through is hot. 12.7 volts. It runs to fuse box for what appears to be leveling box mounted on ceiling in pass through.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Strange, the red and black wire running across ceiling in pass through is hot. 12.7 volts. It runs to fuse box for what appears to be leveling box mounted on ceiling in pass through.
It’s hot because it’s hooked to the battery already
Old 02-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Those wires terminate at the zamp connectors on roof and convenience center connectors
Old 02-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Rvgerry

Thanks for the help. To install controller I would connect that hot red/blk wire to battery side of controller and connect solar wires to input on controller. That's the issue. Where is the solar wires.. to the roof. I'm beginning to think those are coming out of the ceiling box where Keystone had the hot wires from battery twist connected.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #28
Rvgerry

I called Keystone and they refused to answer my question for liability reason and said I had to have controller installed by dealer.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
Rvgerry

Convince center

What is convinced center?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
What is convinced center?
Where your water connections and satellite connections are
Old 02-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
I called Keystone and they refused to answer my question for liability reason and said I had to have controller installed by dealer.
I have a renogy suitcase solar system with the integrated controller. There are several good YouTube videos on solar installations as well as some threads on this site. I would study the wiring diagrams and make sure all of your wire gauge sizes will support what your trying to accomplish.
I purchased equipment through DonRowe.com. They have knowledgeable people that can help also. If your not experienced with proper electrical practices I would defer to someone that is.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #32
Rvgerry

I've installed several systems on Lance trailer and motor home. On this Keystone I have had to install controller, breakers, mt50 in battery compartment on plywood because the convinced center Sce connector was not connected to battery. Tested with multimeter, zero volts.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #33
jasin1

Quote:
I've installed several systems on Lance trailer and motor home. On this Keystone I have had to install controller, breakers, mt50 in battery compartment on plywood because the convinced center Sce connector was not connected to battery. Tested with multimeter, zero volts.
Well you should be golden then! Good luck and post pictures of progress
Old 02-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #34
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks for the help. To install controller I would connect that hot red/blk wire to battery side of controller and connect solar wires to input on controller. That's the issue. Where is the solar wires.. to the roof. I'm beginning to think those are coming out of the ceiling box where Keystone had the hot wires from battery twist connected.
The solar wires to the roof probably connect close to the solar wire at convenience center. I think it’s an “either or” setup...meaning you either have the panels on the roof or a portable on the side so it doesn’t overload the wire . It may very well support both depending on what wattage total panels you have installed at both locations
Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #35
Rvgerry

[ATTACh[/ATTACH]

I don't know if picture will go, but here is my setup in batter y compartment for portable solar. I will have separate controller for roof panels in pass through. I have since added inverter in battery compartment that runs under trailer to tv only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201104_111036.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	31810  
Old 02-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #36
Rvgerry

Roof wires

I finally pulled panel off that holds the leveling controller and behind that panel is two red/black separate wires. One goes to ceiling fuse box and the other to prewired solar. I just need to cut it and install controller and breaker. Yeah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210202_101126.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	31812  
Old 02-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #37
mikec557

Quote:
I finally pulled panel off that holds the leveling controller and behind that panel is two red/black separate wires. One goes to ceiling fuse box and the other to prewired solar. I just need to cut it and install controller and breaker. Yeah
Gerry, do you know for certain which red & black pair of wires come from the rooftop port? I know on my 2020 26RBSWE the red/black pair look almost identical to several other pairs running to my auto level circuit board/boxes. Visually, the only clue is that the rooftop wires are 8ga, and the auto level wires were a slightly smaller gauge.

If the pair you think comes from the rooftop port goes to a fuse, pull the fuse out and go up on the roof and see if the port reads no voltage, or still reads 12-13 volts. If there's no voltage, then you probably have the right pair. If there is voltage, you have the wrong pair.

On my TT, Keystone ran the wires, with no loop, nor slack, straight to the batteries. But they did run the positive wire through a self resetting 30a micro dc circuit breaker. The kind you usually see with a red plastic cover. After wiring through that, and before the positive post on the battery, they installed a normal automotive 30a blade fuse.

Maybe you've already got this part of your setup figured out, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Can you post a picture of the fuse block you think the rooftop wire is running to? While the red wire of the pair is going to this fuse block, where's the black wire going?

Do I understand right that on some models the 12v solar port is located in the "convenience center" that also has the water hose connection?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #38
Rvgerry

Which wire is which

It's actually very simple once I
Pulled the wall that has the leveling controller back I exposed two sets of black/red feed wires FROM the batteries. One set went to fuse panel for leveling and the other red/black wire is the solar wire going between roof port and battery. So in other models prewired see what wires lead from fuse block and look for the other red black wire attached to battery. That's the solar wire.

I have not wired the controller yet, but I will disconnect battery then cut that wire and see which end is hot. Then hook that two wires to battery side of controller.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #39
Rvgerry

Mike, I forgot to mention I have not seen any fuses for either red/black pair. The zamp plan calls for a 40 amp fuse for roof solar and 30 amp fuse for portable solar. Nada.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #40
mikec557

Here's the Schematic from Keystone. It's an early drawing so things may have changed... or the guys on the shop floor may do things a little differently.

Edit: by the way, the yellow highlight is not me. That's how it was when I received it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Keystone Cougar Zamp OTG Schematic.pdf (91.7 KB, 335 views)

Tags
cougar, solar