Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
capnttom

Looking for a Keystone 5r

We are selling our Class B in favor of something bigger. We've narrowed down our choices between a 5r and an Airstream classic. We have a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD Megacab as a TV.

We like the room the 5r has to offer, but we're also looking for quality. We've spent 2 1/2 years getting the bugs out of our Roadtrek and don't want to go through this exercise anymore, much less the huge hit we'll have to take getting out of it.

It's my wife and I with a couple of dogs. It's not likely we will full time soon, but I will retire in 2-3 years and the option is open, as we will tour the country for a couple of years.

I realize this is a pretty open-ended question, but would appreciate recommendations from folks with 5r experience.

Thanks,
Tom & Cathy
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to The Forum From Western PA

I noticed you have a newer 2016 TV and assume you plan on keeping it at least for the short term. There are a few recent posts that reference payload capabilities of a 2500 and the range trailers that would be a good match. This will limit your selection of 5th wheels that you need to look both short and long term using your current 2500.

Good Luck with your selection

Be Safe
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

As stated above, determine how much trailer your truck can legally tow, and that will narrow your choices down. Making that determination is more than just asking a salesperson. Loads of threads with links to different sites that can help.

Once you've determined how much trailer, then start looking at everything. I suggest going to a number of different dealers, sit inside the units, paying attention to the details that matter to you. Any given RV can have issues with build or component failure. Hopefully any problems will be addressed by the dealer BEFORE delivery. Choosing the right dealer can be as important as choosing the right trailer. With all that said, Keystone builds a good trailer for the money, better than most.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

An Airstream classic? For more "room"? To stay in for a couple of years?

I was just in one a few days ago and as far as room goes it was like going back to 1985; no slides/straight shotgun RV. They seem pretty nice on the inside but I'm sure they're like all other RVs and have issues....one being the price.

If you're going to spend a couple of years traveling I would highly recommend a modern RV with multiple slides - after a few months the room is most welcome.

The 2500 will limit the size of 5vr you can tow (payload/pin weight) but if you look you can find several that will work....and IMO they would all probably be better than trying to live in the Airstream. Be sure and check out the ability for 4 season living OR schedule your travels so you are in warmer climates during the hard winter months as so many do.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
An Airstream classic? For more "room"? To stay in for a couple of years?

I was just in one a few days ago and as far as room goes it was like going back to 1985; no slides/straight shotgun RV. They seem pretty nice on the inside but I'm sure they're like all other RVs and have issues....one being the price.

If you're going to spend a couple of years traveling I would highly recommend a modern RV with multiple slides - after a few months the room is most welcome.

The 2500 will limit the size of 5vr you can tow (payload/pin weight) but if you look you can find several that will work....and IMO they would all probably be better than trying to live in the Airstream. Be sure and check out the ability for 4 season living OR schedule your travels so you are in warmer climates during the hard winter months as so many do.
Thanks sourdough, understand all your points. We decided today to pass on the Airstream. It's just not worth $130k. So we're looking at smaller 5rs like the Montana High Country. It's a palace compared to our 23' MH.

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
Thanks sourdough, understand all your points. We decided today to pass on the Airstream. It's just not worth $130k. So we're looking at smaller 5rs like the Montana High Country. It's a palace compared to our 23' MH.

Tom & Cathy
Compared to your class B I think you'll find that most any 5vr is going to be like a palace with so much more room and many more amenities - there won't be any comparison. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

As stated above, determine how much trailer your truck can legally tow, and that will narrow your choices down. Making that determination is more than just asking a salesperson. Loads of threads with links to different sites that can help.

Once you've determined how much trailer, then start looking at everything. I suggest going to a number of different dealers, sit inside the units, paying attention to the details that matter to you. Any given RV can have issues with build or component failure. Hopefully any problems will be addressed by the dealer BEFORE delivery. Choosing the right dealer can be as important as choosing the right trailer. With all that said, Keystone builds a good trailer for the money, better than most.
We're on the same page. A small 5r is good for us. I get the weight issue, as I've studied all the treads as nauseam. But thanks for pointing it out.

We want quality and I'm hoping that Keystone is better than most. Like I said, don't want to go through another 2 1/2 years of working bugs out.

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
We're on the same page. A small 5r is good for us. I get the weight issue, as I've studied all the treads as nauseam. But thanks for pointing it out.

We want quality and I'm hoping that Keystone is better than most. Like I said, don't want to go through another 2 1/2 years of working bugs out.

Tom & Cathy
Keystone, IMO, is as good as any, and better than most, in quality; particularly in getting more for your money both in product and being user friendly. $$ spent has no bearing on what you get quality wise in an RV anymore. I was visiting with a guy with a DRV 5th wheel the other day and he was very unhappy so you need to find what works for you and fits your needs. I believe Chuckster57 was saying in another thread that even million dollar motor coaches have the same issues as we encounter in a travel trailer. Good luck.

Correction to post: The person unhappy was in a Grand Design 5th wheel, not a DRV - I guess my brain works slower than the fingers
Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
silverbullet18

If you don't mind a TT. The Cougar 33MLS I just purchased has as much room and storage as a FVer and that 2500 can handle it no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
rhagfo

Well I don't know of a TT with a big basement, then the argument becomes you loose the bed of the TV, BUT you only loose to the top of the hitch, so there is room for wood, and ice chest etc. Then most 5ers have more headroom and space for ceiling fan and taller cabinets.
Well part of towing is making the choice between going with the class restricted 10,000# GVWR or going by axle ratings, mainly the rear axle. That choice is yours alone.
We easily carry/tow a 32' Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS with a dry weight of 9,820# less battery and propane, and a GVWR of 12,360#. The pin runs about 2,200#.

The other pluses are more stable towing and tows about 4' to 6' shorter overall length for the same size RV.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
capnttom

Love your setup Russ, looks comfy! Thanks for the input.

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
theeyres

You will have to make sure you can tow a Montana with the 2500. Look at the weights because you will be close but there sure are a lot of full-timers with Montanas. Depending on the size you want you might also look at Arctic Fox fivers. They are much heavier than the Montana on a foot by foot basis but that is because they are built on a much heavier frame. They don't have the glitz but no one will debate that the quality is at the top of the list for a mid priced fiver.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
You will have to make sure you can tow a Montana with the 2500. Look at the weights because you will be close but there sure are a lot of full-timers with Montanas. Depending on the size you want you might also look at Arctic Fox fivers. They are much heavier than the Montana on a foot by foot basis but that is because they are built on a much heavier frame. They don't have the glitz but no one will debate that the quality is at the top of the list for a mid priced fiver.
Thanks Earl, the Arctic Fox is on our list to look at.

We're also looking at a small Montana High Country, which should be within the towing range of my Ram 2500 CTD.

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. We are shopping for a 5er to buy in a year or so when we sell the house. We have to get a bigger TV so we are going 1 ton. Lots of fun looking. Lots of TV shows going on in the next couple of months. Have fun.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. We are shopping for a 5er to buy in a year or so when we sell the house. We have to get a bigger TV so we are going 1 ton. Lots of fun looking. Lots of TV shows going on in the next couple of months. Have fun.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
I'm in Houston and there is a good sized show starting on Wednesday. We'll be there!

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
kfxgreenie

Your payload on a Mega Cummins 2500 is squat, not because the truck can't handle it, more so because you didn't pay your uncle enough money to tell you it can handle it. Choice is yours, but your payload is probably under 2000 lb's add a hitch, wife,dogs, and a few things in the truck and your pin probably has to be below 1200 lbs. A F150 can out perform your HD truck.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post

Your payload on a Mega Cummins 2500 is squat, not because the truck can't handle it, more so because you didn't pay your uncle enough money to tell you it can handle it. Choice is yours, but your payload is probably under 2000 lb's add a hitch, wife,dogs, and a few things in the truck and your pin probably has to be below 1200 lbs. A F150 can out perform your HD truck.

And your point is???

Tom & Cathy
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post

An F150 might have a better payload rating, but a 6.7 Cummins will out preform a EB any day and get better mileage doing it.
The Ram, has a FAR stronger rear axle and can if the OP chooses will carry that 5er just fine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
An F150 might have a better payload rating, but a 6.7 Cummins will out preform a EB any day and get better mileage doing it.
The Ram, has a FAR stronger rear axle and can if the OP chooses will carry that 5er just fine.
I think we're getting back into the same old conversation: "will it pull it"? "Is it supposed to pull it?" Is it legal to use "this" to pull it? Is it SAFE to pull it.

There are numerous posts illustrating what is supposed to be followed to stay safe and legal when towing a trailer, with a given weight, with a given truck. Some choose to follow the law and be safe; others pull numbers out of the air and go with that. When you get into the "Hey, I know my truck doesn't meet requirements but it's OK because a; b; c; - " you are in territory that regular folks, with families and consciences don't want to get into. JMO....but I see lots of you out there in parks way overloaded and driving down the highway acting like fools at 70-80mph. Just try to minimize the damage you do to others when "IT" happens. Fortunately for us retaining a great lawyer is not an issue.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #20
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think we're getting back into the same old conversation: "will it pull it"? "Is it supposed to pull it?" Is it legal to use "this" to pull it? Is it SAFE to pull it.

There are numerous posts illustrating what is supposed to be followed to stay safe and legal when towing a trailer, with a given weight, with a given truck. Some choose to follow the law and be safe; others pull numbers out of the air and go with that. When you get into the "Hey, I know my truck doesn't meet requirements but it's OK because a; b; c; - " you are in territory that regular folks, with families and consciences don't want to get into. JMO....but I see lots of you out there in parks way overloaded and driving down the highway acting like fools at 70-80mph. Just try to minimize the damage you do to others when "IT" happens. Fortunately for us retaining a great lawyer is not an issue.
Agree @sourdough that there are numerous posts on this topic on just about any RV forum out there; I've read threads ad nauseum the last couple of years.

Arguably, I believe that payload numbers are not always supported by stronger loading characteristics such as GCWR and GAWR ratings. If payload is the only consideration I don't think you would see many 2500s pulling 5rs.

So...back to safety. For my truck the GCWR is 25,300# and the GAWR for the rear axle is 6,500# with a base weight of 3,098#. Also the max trailer weight rating is 15,190#. Add the safety factor of a Cummins exhaust brake and I think I can pull a small 5r within safe limits. I do not plan on exceeding these ratings, nor do I have any reason to, as we are comfortable with a small 5r.

If someone can poke reasonable holes in this logic based on facts and/or something I'm missing, I will reconsider and buy a bumper pull, no problem. This is why I'm here.

Tom & Cathy

Tags
keystone