Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
pineappleexpress

best brand seasonal storage covers?

We recently purchased our first 5er and our last trip in it for the year will be late November for seasonal hunting trip. During storage periods we keep it at home stored outdoors. It will be relatively protected from wind yet being in Minnesota we are susceptible to snow, rain, bitter cold and sun for the next 4 months.

We have searched the internet and opinions are like... well, ya know. So with that being said we are coming to the source of real owners of Keystone 5ers. Things we have keyed in on as high points to be warry of is the grade of material and protective additions (Kevlar corners, foam guards for gutters, etc.) but is still a daunting task to find the right brand and at model for the rig. We do like the idea of the upgraded covers that allow entry to the rig so we can tinker during the offseason. We have also heard of there being types of cold weather skirting that can attach around the bottom of the rig to keep the wind and snow from drifting underneath.

Any insight and suggestions through your trial and errors would be greatly appreciated.
pineappleexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Save your money, put on a good coat of quality wax. Search this forum and you’ll find a vast majority of us don’t use covers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:19 AM   #3
jasin1

I wanted a cover but I’ve read that it could freeeze to my rv
I plan on taking trips south during the winter. I don’t want anything preventing that.
Also after seeing the thread about the “spare tire that blew it self up” I wonder what effect the cover may have on the roof itself? If it magnifies temperatures I’m sure it’s good on cold days but mild days maybe not.
I have a Coleman popup that manufacture says you cannot use a cover on because roof can delaminate. I know most covers are light colored but it’s something I’m going to think about.
I put a coat of Meguires Flagship wax on mine after purchasing in September and I’m gonna try and get one more coat on before it’s too cold.
Eventually I will build a carport or pole barn
Old 11-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
LewisB

I've personally never used a cover for these reasons: a close friend used to cover his rig. He says:
  • The cover is dangerous to install & remove because you have to get on top of the trailer and close to the edge, pulling, pushing, yanking the fabric, etc. He says he constantly worried about falling.
  • The cover stuck to the paint/top in some areas and had to be forcefully removed from these finished areas.
  • The cover could never be tight enough to avoid "flapping" in the wind and this flapping left marks on the trailer that then had to be polished out.
  • The cover required replacement on a regular basis. Depending on how much he spent, they only lasted 1-4 years.
  • Even with the "openings", the cover made it hard to access some of the trailer and impossible for other areas.
  • Covers are expensive.
He ultimately built a fully enclosed garage!

So I agree with Chuck!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
Northofu1

I covered mine for two years.
- 2 People, 2 ladders, piece of cake.
Never froze to roof of rig.
Easy in and out of trailer entrance.
Spent $500 on my Classic Poly pro 3, nice and soft, well vented and strapped. Sold it for $250 looked like new.
The trailer was well sheltered from the wind behind a tree line. Stopped leaves and debris from staining roof. Material was soft enough that I did not worry about light scuffing even if it was windy.
My experience. Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I covered mine for two years.
- 2 People, 2 ladders, piece of cake.
Never froze to roof of rig.
Easy in and out of trailer entrance.
Spent $500 on my Classic Poly pro 3, nice and soft, well vented and strapped. Sold it for $250 looked like new.
The trailer was well sheltered from the wind behind a tree line. Stopped leaves and debris from staining roof. Material was soft enough that I did not worry about light scuffing even if it was windy.
My experience. Good luck
Why did you stop using a cover? I have been dealing with tons of leaves on roof and now reevaluating if a cover may help till I get a shelter built
Old 11-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Northofu1

I stopped because I traded in TT and sold cover that was fit for a TT.
Thanks to covid and less work, I haven't had the chance to buy one. I am storing my 5er on a different part of my uncles lot farther from trees. I will play it by ear for now.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
GordKey22

This is our first year with our 22BKSWE. It is used but in really nice shape.
We live on the west coast of BC. We get plenty of rain, and lots of "dust" from the trees.
Everything around us develops a green film.
I have an Adeco cover on mine now.
I put it on myself, not really difficult. I had a step ladder on both sides.
There is plenty of zippers so I have not really had any difficulty accessing things.
GordKey22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage