Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
jasin1

Tire change

Good morning. This is directed to new fifth wheel owners mostly..... I’ve read all the discussions on tire reliability and brands and wanted to add something to think about.
I purchased my fifth wheel in September and was trying to decide if I should replace my trailer kings. In the meantime i just had a nail pop my tire on my way to Delaware. It was the last thing on my mind as far as problems go because the tires are so new that I thought I had some time. And yes I know nails can puncture any tire but it seemed like the tread depth isn’t very deep.
My point is make sure you have everything needed to change the tire on hand and that your spare is fully inflated.
I was on 95 north on nice roads and luckily my eeze tire tpms system alarm started beeping. It said rapid air loss or something to that effect
I pulled over and could hear the air leaking out. I had recently removed a bunch of extra boards and tools to lighten my load and I almost didn’t have what I needed to replace the tire. I used my Anderson blocks to make a ramp and found one block that was enough for my leveling jack to get tire up enough to change.
I had taken my air compressor off and couldn’t top off my spare. It was 73 psi but I had to roll with it.

My suggestion is to be prepared and check your spare, make sure you have everything to change tire including a lug wrench/torque wrench
Make sure you have a yellow safety vest if your on the side of road and flares or reflectors
And get a tpms system.... I’m too new to fifth wheels and probably wouldn’t have noticed what a flat felt like on one of my tires and the tire could have ripped apart causing damage to my rig.
This just happened this weekend and I’m trying to find a replacement tire to match but will probably just replace all of them
Old 11-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
bearcat77

And in addition to all that, make sure it is easily accessible. I was carrying everything necessary, but after years of not being needed, the different tools and components had migrated to the furthest reaches of storage. I was about a minute away from unpacking the whole truck bed and camper storage on the side of I-64 when a roadside assistance vehicle miraculously pulled up. Lesson learned. Now the backseat storage compartment of my truck is dedicated to tire changing equipment.

Additional equipment I would suggest: a tarp to lay on, rain poncho, and a headlamp with a sealed pack of batteries. And most importantly, carry two spares. Once tire number one goes, tire number two on that side is a ticking bomb.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
rhagfo

Our 2005 Copper Canyon came from the factory with LT 235/85-16 E tires yes, only 3,042# capacity each, but same tough tires as on your TV!
Yes, less listed carrying capacity, but much higher speed rating, so feel very safe with them rather than ST tires. The GVWR on our 5er is 12,360#, yours is 12,390#.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Our 2005 Copper Canyon came from the factory with LT 235/85-16 E tires yes, only 3,042# capacity each, but same tough tires as on your TV!
Yes, less listed carrying capacity, but much higher speed rating, so feel very safe with them rather than ST tires. The GVWR on our 5er is 12,360#, yours is 12,390#.
I’m going to price some tires Thanks
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote