Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Whitewolf

Water heater

I noticed the last time we were out that the hot water was hotter than normal. I normally leave the electric switch to on when home in case we want hot water for something. Today I went inside and heard a noise coming from the water heater compartment. It sounded like the water was boiling. I switched off the switch and the noise went away. I didn't have time to further investigate.

Is there any adjustment on these things or does anyone have an idea where to start looking?

Tomorrow I'll fire up the gas side and see what happens. Same results, I'd say the thermostat dohicky is bad. Then again........

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

RV water heaters are preset at the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Whitewolf

Hmmm...How do they preset them? This is a Dometic.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 06-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I noticed the last time we were out that the hot water was hotter than normal. I normally leave the electric switch to on when home in case we want hot water for something. Today I went inside and heard a noise coming from the water heater compartment. It sounded like the water was boiling. I switched off the switch and the noise went away. I didn't have time to further investigate.

Is there any adjustment on these things or does anyone have an idea where to start looking?

Tomorrow I'll fire up the gas side and see what happens. Same results, I'd say the thermostat dohicky is bad. Then again........
The noise you heard was the water boiling at the electric element which is submerged in the water. This is normal and expected. There is an aftermarket thermostat available for the Dometic/Atwood water heater, but have no idea how well it works. The lower the temperature adjustment, the less hot water you effectively will have available because these RV water heaters are designed so you have to mix cold with hot so you have more hot water to take your shower. The Suburban water heater is the same, but I have not seen an after market thermostat for those. This is the adjustable thermostat that I've seen for the Dometic/Atwood water heater: https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...ostat-kit.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
Whitewolf

We've had this unit for 6 years and I've never heard the water boil. And in my way of thinking, because of the temp at which water boils, it shouldn't boil. In the last week the water got hotter and hotter. I noticed the hot water lines extremely hot to the touch.

I tried calling Dometic and of course I can't get thru since I'm mot a dealer. I called where we bought this from and all service wanted to do was for them to look at it. They're 3 1/2 hours away. He mentioned it could be either the thermostat or the overheat fuse. He was very vague where that was at.

This is something I know I can fix. I've got two more dealers I can call that has done work on our unit and pick their brain.

I'd go ahead and order the part that Bobbecky had the link to, but I'd like to make sure that's the problem first.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

What make/model water heater? They all have a thermostat to control the temperature but they are not adjustable. Some models you can buy a different thermostat preset but that's it, no adjustment.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Whitewolf

Atwood(Dometic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	28363  

Old 06-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Whitewolf

Based on this website https://bobsguides.com/water-heater-thermostats.html and the very inexpensive cost I'm going to order this https://smile.amazon.com/Thermostat-...s%2C195&sr=8-3

Old 06-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I'd suggest giving Dometic a call and get the part number before you order one. From what I've found they are under $15 but didn't find one for that model number.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
We've had this unit for 6 years and I've never heard the water boil. And in my way of thinking, because of the temp at which water boils, it shouldn't boil. In the last week the water got hotter and hotter. I noticed the hot water lines extremely hot to the touch.

I tried calling Dometic and of course I can't get thru since I'm mot a dealer. I called where we bought this from and all service wanted to do was for them to look at it. They're 3 1/2 hours away. He mentioned it could be either the thermostat or the overheat fuse. He was very vague where that was at.

This is something I know I can fix. I've got two more dealers I can call that has done work on our unit and pick their brain.

I'd go ahead and order the part that Bobbecky had the link to, but I'd like to make sure that's the problem first.

You might give Dometic another call....or 2. I've called them a few times in the past and they have been johnny on the spot and very helpful, but that was before the covid debacle we are living through.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

I had no issues reaching friendly people at Dometic when I called with a recent igniter board failure. They walked me through a quick troubleshooting of the board and I was able to pick up a replacement at a local authorized service center.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Whitewolf

What number did you guys call? One I found wanted my dealer number. The other went to a fast busy signal. Most likely disconnected. All I could find was an email form to send them.

Flybouy - I searched all the number closely before I found it. Second to last. At first I didn't think it was there.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater