Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #21
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb26153 View Post
I have 2 12V batteries connected in series which I thought made it a 24V DC system, is that true or am I full of it? Won't be the first or last time I was wrong

My multimeter decided to crap out on me today so can't get a reading and was curious because I am blowing bulbs like they were on my birthday cake.

Thanks
You CAN hook them in Series but then you would get 24 volts ... of course you would burn out every 12 volt item in the camper! You need to hook them Parallel to maintain 12 volts.

You would hook two 6 volts in Series to get a 12 volt output.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #22
BillMc

Connecting batteries in series, gives you double the voltage but the same in AMPs.

Connecting the batteries in parallel keeps the voltage the same but doubles the Amperage Available, and thus making the charge last longer.

The preferred method of connecting multiple batteries in a RV is to connect them in Parallel for dry camping with no external power source to charge the batteries.

Simple, not rocket science.
BillMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #23
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb26153 View Post
Thanks for the relies and clarification.

I assumed it was in series because the way it was wired and that the positive and negative posts were in the same position on both batteries. Read the replies and went out to take a better look and it is parallel. Both sets of my trolling motor batteries the posts are all in the same position and what caused me to ask the question.

The corrosion on the lights with the broken wires on the spring contact ends is beyond my patience tolerance. Sanded 4 of them out and soldered 5 wires and 3 bulbs worked for 3-4 days and blew out.

Just ordered LED replacements for both floods, porch and the 2 at the waste tank pulls, and all 4 utility compartments and bathroom fixture.

Amazon has to love me for buying this thing. This is worse than a boat.

You will be glad you switched them out to LED. First thing I did when we got our camper was to switch out all of the interior lights to LED. It's amazing how hot the incandescent are when you're having trouble keeping your camper cool.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote