Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2020, 03:55 AM   #1
Newk

Cougar Window Option

Hello all. I have been reading this forum for years, and don’t post much, as I can usually find my answers by searching. I also don’t log in very often. So Thank You all for the help you have provided over the years. My question today I couldn’t find via a search.
We are looking at purchasing a New 2019 Cougar 362RKS. There is a new left over 2019 in stock at my local dealer. There is also one a couple hundred miles away, but in an area where I travel for work, so I have been able to see it in person. Both of these trailers are the same model year and the same model. However, they are different trailers.

The trailer that is far away has a front window in the master, which changes the closet layout. The other changes are a different closet layout in the living room, and lack of a pantry in the kitchen. This does add more room for the dinette, and the DW is fine without a pantry, due to other cabinets it has. It also has a slide out capital grill outside next to the basement. The bathroom is also turned 90 degrees from the close trailer. Toilet and doors in same spot, but sink and shower are flipped. I like the front window, and I like the capital grill.

The close one is closer, so am liking that idea. It is, however, $4,000 more, and is missing the grill but has the pantry. None of these are deal breakers, and for $4,000. I am leaning towards the one with the front window. I have searched online and found a dozen other 2019 362RKS trailers and none of them have the window or grill.

Have you ever seen this? The online floor plans match the close one. Even the website for the far dealer shows the floorplan of the close one (bathroom and pantry layout). Is this some sort of weird mess or mistake at the factory? Did they make a few with the window then quit making front windows? Was the window a bad idea so they went away from it and I need to avoid the window?

It just seems weird, is it just a misfit and I need to stay away from it?

Thanks
Newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Canonman

When we went looking for our 5th wheel upgrade, we wound up at a Camping World dealer about 50 miles from the house. They had the floor plan we wanted and were $2k less that the CW that is 10 miles from home. We opted to save the money being told that the closer CW would cover all our warranty and service needs as if we bought there. Long story short, over the past 4 years, we've driven the 100 mile round trip to the dealer we purchased from 9 times. The closer dealer did not want to cover any work done by the selling CW.
You will be taking this trailer back for warranty work I'd see if the closer dealer would be willing to help on the price to earn your business? Right now it's a buyers market. I'm pretty sure you can make some sort of deal assuming you're OK with either floor plan and both dealers are reputable. IMHO easy access to the selling dealer is important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8799.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	27486  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

The RV business sometimes shows quirks like this... have you looked at the 2018 plan for the 362RKS? Build date may be early in 2018 and they changed during that production year and the trailer is being sold as a 2019.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
khosier

Newk, we have a 2019 RKS for 5 months and so far for the most part love it. Our layout is the one that you describe as the close one. I am in northern CA and have had a few days in the high 90's so far. The upstairs gets very warm on those hot days. If you go up and open the mirrors and fell the wall where that window would be I can't imagine how hot that window would be. I think the clothes and closet doors help with the heat. So far knock on would we have not had to take the unit back to our dealer and we have been in it full time. Our big is problem is the fridge. I have a post about it in the new members area. Also already changed the mattress. Hope you enjoy the 5'r

2019 Keystone Cougar 362 RKS
2019 Ford F-350 XL
khosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Newk

Khosier,
Have you scaled yours to see what it really weighs? Pin weight is my only concern. I have an F250 with camper package. For work I pull 2,000 lb pin weight often, not sure if loaded this will get too heavy or not.
Also, where is the water pump? I wasn’t able to find it. Wondering how easy it is to access for winterizing.
Thanks
Newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
khosier

No I have not scaled mine. With the B&W Patriot Hitch and the F-350 everything calcs way within limits so I didn't make the trip to the scales. As far as the water pump I believe it is built in to the water tank. I have no exact knowledge of that though.
khosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
notanlines

Newk, you can look for the pin weight to be between 2400 and 2600 pound on this RV, ready to travel. (Nothing in the tanks) There will be a sliding door or a panel with removable screws on the back side of your basement where you will find the water pump. (I believe I'm correct) I've not heard of a Keystone unit with the pump in the tank.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar