Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Pasco830

Fifth Wheel Hitch question

I have a 298SRL that I will be towing with a 2020 Silverado 2500. The truck has a 6’10” bed. The front of the fifth wheel has angled corners. I don’t want to buy a sliding hitch if I don’t need it. The reasons I want to avoid the slider are the extra weight when moving it in and out of the truck and the additional cost Does anyone have a similar set up and/or advice?
Pasco830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Easy way to check is to measure the distance from the king pin to the corner of the front cap.

Then climb into the bed of your truck. Find the centerline, 1” forward of the rear axle and then use the measurement you got from the trailer.

There are other options besides the sliding hitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Pasco830

Thanks and I’m also LEO. I’ll be done in 3 months after 30 years.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasco830 View Post
Thanks and I’m also LEO. I’ll be done in 3 months after 30 years.

Congrats on your pending retirement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Hitches have a "favored following" much like trucks, pizza's and hamburgers....

Ask the question, "Which truck is best" and you'll start a war.... Ask "Which hitch is best" and you'll likely get the same type reaction.

Hopefully, you'll get "factual information regarding specific hitch types" rather than, "Buy this kind, I've got it and like it"....

Now, as for whether you'll need a sliding hitch, again the "jury is out" on that one as well. I've got a Ford standard bed (6'9") and I don't have a sliding hitch and have never wished for one. That said, previous GM products had a 6'5" bed and the RAM trucks had a 6'4" bed. Several people have commented that they prefer a sliding hitch with those beds. I suppose the extra 4 or 5 inches makes a difference, but I never have understood how it could make that much difference.

Honestly, backing a fifth wheel is very much like driving in any condition. If you pay attention and don't get into a situation where you "can't recover" then you can pretty much tow any fifth wheel with any truck without the "absolute need for a sliding hitch"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Easy way to check is to measure the distance from the king pin to the corner of the front cap.

Then climb into the bed of your truck. Find the centerline, 1” forward of the rear axle and then use the measurement you got from the trailer.

There are other options besides the sliding hitch.
This would work perfectly if the world were flat..... but, all it takes is your 5th to be raised slightly under one wheel and the cap will slam into your truck cab. Message forums are full of people with dented cabs and broken windows that can't understand what happened because they followed the advised method.

I'm not saying you can't do it with a a short bed but don't just measure once on flat ground and assume you are in the clear.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I have a SB with a B&W hitch. I have mine one hole back from the front hole. I don't have a problem now. I did have but after I moved the hitch back one hole I am good. The problem occurred on a tight turn and off camber corner. On the flat there was never a issue.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
Roscommon48

have always had short boxes. you don't really need a slider. try it for a while and you'll get the hang of it. just sometimes some tight turns...keep wife near the rear window when that happens!
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasco830 View Post
I have a 298SRL that I will be towing with a 2020 Silverado 2500. The truck has a 6’10” bed. The front of the fifth wheel has angled corners. I don’t want to buy a sliding hitch if I don’t need it. The reasons I want to avoid the slider are the extra weight when moving it in and out of the truck and the additional cost Does anyone have a similar set up and/or advice?
I just moved from a TT to a 5th wheel. I got the anderson ultimate because it was lite. Have a short bed ram 2500, angled front on trailer. I was very concerned about turning radius and can go over 90 degrees. Pulled 2k miles without a problem.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

In my street I have made several tight turns without issue its when the trailer was lower than the truck which made the nose of the trailer go higher is when I has a problem. When I moved the hitch back one hole no more issue. i do however watch the nose more carefully. My B&W hitch may be heavy but at 67 I can still get it in and out of the truck by myself.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
jsb5717

Yes, another often discussed category. Do you NEED a slider hitch? No. But you might prefer one for the "peace of mind" that some have shared on other threads.

I pulled for many years with a Ford short bed and a standard no frills hitch. If I turned too tightly I could have hit the cab...but I didn't. My preference was a lighter, less expensive hitch and I paid attention.

My current Andersen Hitch provides me with a great turning radius and have never been in a situation that would cause damage. I love the weight and ease of use. If I turn too tightly I could likely hit my cab...I haven't needed to turn that tightly yet but I pay attention.

This decision will totally rely on your own preference and driving habits and perhaps also your own parking situation. Some have stated having a difficult approach to parking in their driveway that requires overly tight turns and puts the 5er and more of a lean and that's the combo that can get you. So do your own analysis and buy what helps you.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
fulltilt

Hi Pasco
Welcome & congrats on pending retirement ! I have a slider with a short box, there were two things that never occurred to me, the GMC box that we had was 21", I believe inside, floor to top, on tight turns the pin box [long reach] could swing into the inside of the box side, long before the 5'er nose could hit the back of the cab. My drive way requires a series of low degree turns, to prevent the above issue.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
LewisB

Another potential issue with towing without a slider...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Why a Sliding Hitch.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	24777
Our two most recent rigs included Raptors (2008 a 3712TS and now 2018 a 353TS) which we pulled with an F450 DRW and now an F350 DRW - both of these trucks were/are LONG beds. In both cases, I chose to use a slider hitch - WHY?

On both of our Raptors, the swing UP doors on the front of the trailers would not fully open with the truck connected. So I couldn't access the generator on either trailer (to check the oil, set the altitude, etc.) plus on the 3712TS I could not get to the batteries and on the current 353TS I can't get to the propane tanks. The above picture is with the F450 and 3712TS but is typical.

Was this really important? Looking back, not so much; but it could have been a real problem under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances. So I have just chosen to use a slider to preclude the potential for a future problem. If I park for the night and stay connected, I will always extend the slider (back) so that I have full access to the front compartments on the trailer. If getting into your front compartments under any circumstances while connected is important to you, check to see if this issue is present with your rig. Maybe I'm the only one!

Just something else to consider...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #14
sponge60

I have a similar truck. Short bed Silverado 3500. I have the Andersen Ultimate goose neck hitch. Absolutely awesome hitch and weighs about 35 pounds. Easy in and out. Very stable platform.

2018 Avalanche 301RE
2018 Chevy 3500 HD
Sandy the Pocket Beagle
sponge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #15
bsmith0404

I used to have an Andersen Ultimate, but have switched to the Pullrite 2600 single point connection. Loved the Andersen, but made the switch for a couple reasons, first: footprint. The Andersen has a ver large frame and that just makes storage more of an issue. Second: the pullrite has a steal ball vs the Andersen aluminum. Third: I like the locking mechanism on the pullrite better. It’s a spring loaded pin vs the cable push pin on the Andersen. That said, both offer a great feature when towing with a short bed truck, an offset connection point. With the offset from center line on the hitch and the offset of the coupler on the pin box, you gain about 7” of cab clearance. Both are also light weight hitches so you’re not breaking your back to remove or install.

How does that relate for towing. Using general numbers here, actual measurement could be off a couple inches. Let say you have an 8’ bed and for argument sakes the hitch is centered over the axle at the mid bed point. Cab clearance from hitch center would be 4’. With a 6.5’ bed cab clearance from center is 3’3”. Now using an offset hitch which moves the connection point back 7” would place you at 3’10”. Almost the same point as a long bed truck. Therefore, when combined with a radius front cap, no need for a slider.

Here’s a link to the pullrite. Hopefully your new TV has the puck system so all you need to do is drop the gooseneck ball in.

https://www.pullrite.com/2600
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #16
Pasco830

Glad to hear that. I have been wondering about it and have seen a lot of good reviews.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #17
curly2001

No slider preferred if possible

I have a 2019 2500HD and had problems with the additional height that the slider added to the trailer. Ended up removing the slider and gained about 3 inches and still have 5 inches of bed rail clearance. If you can all do without it if you have nose high issues with the trailer, I would advise no slider.
Thanks,
Curly
curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
Big1

I have the Pullrite 2600 in my short bed, love it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #19
huskerchops

I have the Anderson and it gives me plenty of room to turn. I have not seen the pullrite but i like my anderson
huskerchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
Big1

Here is my Pullrite Superlite 2600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3363.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	25657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3358.JPG
Views:	272