Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Last dealership I worked and and present one use interstate, extremely low failure rates so I’m not sure where the bad reviews are coming from.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #22
NH_Bulldog

We have two Interstate group 27 batteries. Same setup on our last camper. No issues and they were fine at 5 years when we sold the old one. Only a year on this one, but when we stored for the winter I pulled them out and set on my workbench with a battery conditioner, keep an eye on the water level (distilled only) and I have high confidence in their reliability.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNYRunner View Post
Thanks. Reviews scared me away from the Interstates, and all the Sam's around here shut down a few years ago.

The duracells I was looking at claim an additional 15 Ah. Is that worth an extra $65 for the pair?
I think what you're asking is whether the EGC-2 battery is better than the GC-2 battery and if it's worth the extra $65 for them???
The GC-2 is $89.88 each/$179.76 for the pair
The EGC-2 is $124.88 each/$249.76 for the pair

That's a difference of $70 for the pair.

The specs stack up this way:
GC-2 EGC-2 difference/increase category
215 230 +15/7% @ 20 amp hour rate:
157 174 +17/11% @ 5 amp hour rate
156 178 +22/14% @ 6 amp hour rate:

The price increase is roughly 40% with a "performance increase average" of around 12%. I'd suggest that unless you "NEED" the additional capacity to function, the cost does not justify the small increase in performance.

As for the "Duracell vs Interstate" argument.... It really comes down to availability/preference more than reliability. There's only one "major battery manufacturer" that produces almost all battery brands using the contract specifications for each brand. There's very little difference in actual quality, materials or process to build. The differences are mainly in "case color, cap style, plate configuration/material composition. While there are differences, they don't usually make "one brand better/worse" than another..... If you have access to Interstate but not Duracell, that should answer your question of which brand to buy. Conversely, if you have access to Duracell but not Interstate, I would not be "concerned about the brand" as much as "concerned about the price".....

That said, there are some "off brand battery lines" that are not much more than the 'rejects of the major brands"... I'd be concerned about buying one of those brands, more because it may be a "reject/rebranded battery" that has no "nationwide support for failure".... With either Interstate or Duracell, you'll find a dealer in almost any major population center. Not so with "Atlas Commercial Plus" or such brand types...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
GHen

I suggest making a jump to four 6 volt CG2 batteries. I wasted a bunch of time and money making a couple marine batteries work and then a couple of CG2 6 volt. I should have went to 4 CG2 right in the beginning.

That same thought applies to the lithium batteries, big up front cost, but way cheaper for the 10 year life of an RV.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I suggest making a jump to four 6 volt CG2 batteries. I wasted a bunch of time and money making a couple marine batteries work and then a couple of CG2 6 volt. I should have went to 4 CG2 right in the beginning.

That same thought applies to the lithium batteries, big up front cost, but way cheaper for the 10 year life of an RV.

That makes sense if your dry camping. If you only use full hook up or water and electric sites, then actually a single 12V battery is all that’s needed. I tell customers all the time that they need to figure out what type of camping they intend on doing.

For me,DW and Siamese cat, our mantra “ if it doesn’t have full hook ups, we don’t go there”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
Logan X

This may be a little off topic, but I’m fairly certain most negative battery reviews on line are from people who don’t know how to take care of a battery. They abuse the battery, take it all the way down to zero a couple of times, the battery no longer holds a charge, and they write a bad review.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #27
GHen

Logan, I’m sure you’re right. I’m happy with my interstates, but I even use battery tenders on any battery not in use, like my boat and hot rod. I never let them drop below 50%. I even put a battery tender on my wife’s car when we go on vacation.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #28
hornet28

I use two group 29 batteries
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

I would just say that I use Interstates all the time and have had zero issues with them. Pricing is usually very competitive at Costco (if they have the size/type). I will say this about "other" battery brands; I don't know who makes Auto Zone batteries (Everlast??) but I DO know that they are outrageously high. My Jeep in the mountains lost the battery due to just sitting so long and I don't keep a tender on it. Needed it right away after getting up there and ran down to AutoZone to get a new grp. 24 for it.....over $175!! Now I wish and hope it is an exceptionally exceptional battery and lasts and lasts, but it won't. I had no idea where to get an interstate in that town and I was pressed for time....next time I will just slow it down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:27 AM   #30
chunker

Hopefully this battery question won't be so off topic that's it's "lost in the translation". With the Raptor 356 on order which possibly will be in this coming week, I suspect the dealer will put in the basic GP24 or 27 "deep cycle" battery, one of them. When going to 6v GC-2 will they fit in the compartments, height and weight? I recall 3 trays so if they fit in height, is there room to put 2 on one shelf or will a single shelf hold more than one. For people that go with 4 GC-2, how do they all fit? I didn't measure the battery trays but a quick look it appears a GP24 or 27 will fit but not sure if wide enough for the GP 29 or 31.

For my initial use the single installed battery will be OK but for this summer's trip of 2-3 months with unknown hookups at various stops, I may/will want better battery performance.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Hopefully this battery question won't be so off topic that's it's "lost in the translation". With the Raptor 356 on order which possibly will be in this coming week, I suspect the dealer will put in the basic GP24 or 27 "deep cycle" battery, one of them. When going to 6v GC-2 will they fit in the compartments, height and weight? I recall 3 trays so if they fit in height, is there room to put 2 on one shelf or will a single shelf hold more than one. For people that go with 4 GC-2, how do they all fit? I didn't measure the battery trays but a quick look it appears a GP24 or 27 will fit but not sure if wide enough for the GP 29 or 31.

For my initial use the single installed battery will be OK but for this summer's trip of 2-3 months with unknown hookups at various stops, I may/will want better battery performance.

The OP was looking for grp. 27 info and you are as well, sort of. IMO your question requires you to know more about what it is you want or plan to do on your trip. I don't use 6V batteries and never have. I've never needed them. I've camped off grid, actually "off grid" using 2 grp 24 batteries but I always carried a generator. I no longer do that, or if in a pinch, I can make my 2 grp. 24s last one night - now with a residential fridge I don't know about that, but back to your situation as well as the OPs;

IMO one grp. 24 is OK but won't go far and that is more than likely what you will get on the new Raptor. To me the size an weight of the 6 volts really means that I need to use them and need that added AH capacity. If not, it's just a big, heavy "nice to have" that you don't need. I bet you could get the 27s in there if you thought you needed them. Just put some thought into how and where those unforeseen circumstances could come up and how long you want to go without shore power or a generator. For cost reference; our new HC came with 1 new grp 24 of some brand. I told them up front I wanted 2 new Interstate grp 24 deep cycles in it. They upcharged me $150 for the 2nd battery and because they use their "generic" brand...."not something like an Interstate" as was said to me. I figure Camco or something like that.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #32
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The OP was looking for grp. 27 info and you are as well, sort of. IMO your question requires you to know more about what it is you want or plan to do on your trip. I don't use 6V batteries and never have. I've never needed them. I've camped off grid, actually "off grid" using 2 grp 24 batteries but I always carried a generator. I no longer do that, or if in a pinch, I can make my 2 grp. 24s last one night - now with a residential fridge I don't know about that, but back to your situation as well as the OPs;
t.
It's a question of I don't know what I don't know. I plan to encourage them to put in a GP27 but won't sweat it if it's a GP24. Besides there are battery stores everywhere so I can make changes/additions anywhere along the trip.

Yes weight control is in order and no I don't want to add useless weight just to have it. I'd rather save that weight for something I'll use like water or beer.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
It's a question of I don't know what I don't know. I plan to encourage them to put in a GP27 but won't sweat it if it's a GP24. Besides there are battery stores everywhere so I can make changes/additions anywhere along the trip.

Yes weight control is in order and no I don't want to add useless weight just to have it. I'd rather save that weight for something I'll use like water or beer.

Aha! Looks like you have your priorities in order.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #34
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That makes sense if your dry camping. If you only use full hook up or water and electric sites, then actually a single 12V battery is all that’s needed. I tell customers all the time that they need to figure out what type of camping they intend on doing.

For me,DW and Siamese cat, our mantra “ if it doesn’t have full hook ups, we don’t go there”.
We're on team Chuckster,
IMO If you're going to boondock you can't dip your toe in the power stream.
After your first or second year of RVing you should have a good idea of what type of camping you like. You should know how much power you burn on the occasions you have boondocked. Other folks on here have posted in the past with some really good schematics/ photos on wiring in you're solar, Inverter, and battery bank. It's not cheap. but neither is the trailer and TV. To me,,, if you're going to buy GC2's whether it's one or six, you should have solar and an inverter, coupled with a charger/converter upgrade. I may be slightly off the mark, but I have dry camped enough in my youth to have enjoyed and moved on from that style of camping. The cost of a boondocking power source can buy a lot of FHU sites. I don't even mind no water or sewer, but I need the juice.
Good luck to the posters looking to supplement battery power.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

I only have room for 1 battery the way the unit is constructed. Have 1 grp 27 battery from NAPA that's a 90 ah rated deep cycle. We always camp with electric at a min. We have been in situations where electric failures have happened (storms, transformer failures, accident, etc.). We've been in the situation for up to 24 hrs. and the battery performed well for operating the wh & fridge on gas, lights (all led), radio, and once it ran the furnace minimally (oat was about 45 deg.).

If we were going off grid then I'd fabricate a way for 2 6v batteries and either use a solar charger or more likely take and use the generator that I already have.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, upgrade