Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
hankaye

Black Tank Flush

Howdy All;

I have seen several folks mention in various postings about their Black Tank Flush plumbing being incorporated into the rest of their trailer's plumbing.

This has me courious. I'm still fairly new to RV'ing, only had 2, and fulltimed in both. First was a TT with an aftermarket flush system that had it own hose connection. Now, in my '08 Couger (278RKS), I have a factory installed version. The plumbing run is strieght to the tank from the hose connection.
The ONLY way it could get tied into my regular syste is if I utilize the outside shower to operate it.

My question is this;

Have you traced the waterlines for the black flush system or are these presumptions ?

Just being courious not argumentitive.....

Thanks for any and all enlightenments.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

I have seen several folks mention in various postings about their Black Tank Flush plumbing being incorporated into the rest of their trailer's plumbing.

This has me courious. I'm still fairly new to RV'ing, only had 2, and fulltimed in both. First was a TT with an aftermarket flush system that had it own hose connection. Now, in my '08 Couger (278RKS), I have a factory installed version. The plumbing run is strieght to the tank from the hose connection.
The ONLY way it could get tied into my regular syste is if I utilize the outside shower to operate it.

My question is this;

Have you traced the waterlines for the black flush system or are these presumptions ?

Just being courious not argumentitive.....

Thanks for any and all enlightenments.

hankaye
Hank, The only place I have seen that might lead you to think this is folks asking about the mysterious contraption located under their bathroom sink.( back-flow preventer ) I really don't think even Keystone's rocket scientists would ever dream of a direct connection of the two systems. I hope I'm right, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
SteveC7010

My Cougar has two water connections in the compartment for hookups. One is the regular city water connection.

The second one is the black tank flush line which I traced all the way. It goes up into the bathroom to the anti-siphon device and then direct to the fitting on the black tank. There are no other tees or other connections so the black tank flush is completely separate from any other plumbing anywhere in the rig.

A number of folks here have suggested using the shower faucet in the same compartment to pump antifreeze into the black flush lines and I think that is a great suggestion.

However, I prefer not to connect a drinking water source to the black flush if at all possible. Instead, many dump stations have a "not for drinking water" hose which can be used to rinse things down when done. That can usually be connected to the black flush connection. I have a "dirty" water thief just for those occasions when there is not a garden hose male on the hose.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
LarryL

Hi SteveC7010

what is dirty" water thief do you have a picture
that might be something I want to make up
before my next trip
Old 12-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
f6bits

Water thief is an adapter that will hook a hose up to a spigot that doesn’t have hose threads.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...vsfhu=34363930

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryL View Post
Hi SteveC7010

what is dirty" water thief do you have a picture
that might be something I want to make up
before my next trip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_thief

Many campgrounds have water spigots that don't have garden hose fittings on them. A water thief is flexible and will fit several different sizes. Some come with a worm clamp to tighten so that the thief can handle higher pressures. The one in the pic doesn't have one, but a quick trip down the plumbing aisle at any hardware store will fix that.

By a "dirty" water thief, I mean that I have one that is reserved exclusively for hooking up to the non-potable water source at most dump stations.

You can buy them over the counter for a few bucks. I also have several made from different size garden hose that I use in higher pressure situations.

If you google "water thief", you'll find tons more info and sources.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote