Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
dnapisumop

Residential Refrigerator Models

I own a 2016 Alpine 3511 RE, which has the residential refrigerator by Samsung, which is going to be a different post . The travel power for this setup is, 2 batteries in the hydraulic side compartment with 2 more deep cycle batteries in the forward storage compartment wired to a large inverter to power the fridge while traveling. The problem I came across while doing maintenance is, the original coach batteries, in the side hydraulics compartment have a large wire going from the positive to through a steel bulkhead to the positive on the batteries in the storage area for the refrigerator. There is a breaker on the positive cables in the hydraulic compartment but the wire is before it! There is also a large amp fuse on the batteries in the storage compartment, but this same wire is between the batteries and the fuse! This could chaff on the metal wall, short out (high amperage) and cause a fire! The proper charging line for these additional batteries would be from controlled side of both disconnects, which would include both breakers. Scary when I discovered this. Wrote to Keystone about this, haven't heard back. Thought others NEED to know, as I am not sure how other models are wired...
dnapisumop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Jgkopp

If the hole is large enough in the bulkhead you could protect the wire with this corrugated sleeving. They make several sizes. ID may need to be 1-1/4".

https://www.mcmaster.com/#split-looms/=165r3uz
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
dnapisumop

Not correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkopp View Post
If the hole is large enough in the bulkhead you could protect the wire with this corrugated sleeving. They make several sizes. ID may need to be 1-1/4".

https://www.mcmaster.com/#split-looms/=165r3uz
It does have that and I could except that as a bubble gum fix, but still is not correct and still has the chance of serious problems... the breakers and disconnects are there, just wired improperly.
dnapisumop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I see split loom over wire going through frame holes on a regular basis, on virtually every brand of RV. More common than you think, and I don't see it as a "bubble gum" fix but more likely an accepted industry standard. I've see LP hoses and hydraulic lines WITHOUT any loom going through holes. I wouldn't waste any more energy worrying about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I would question whether this "modification" in the wiring is a Keystone issue or whether it's something done at the dealership. Keystone "routinely" provides wiring to "ONE" battery on their RV's with a "gas/electric refrigerator". In recent years they have included "home refrigerators" as an option on some trailers. On the ones I've seen, this also includes a "separate battery and inverter system" to power the refrigerator. I've never seen a "dual house battery" and a "dual refrigerator battery" system from the factory on any Keystone RV. I'd suspect your RV was shipped from the factory with wiring for either one battery for all systems or with one battery for "house systems" and one battery for the "refrigerator system".

From all the RV's that I've seen, there has NEVER been wiring present to connect 4 batteries in any of the factory OEM wiring systems.

So, I'd turn to the dealership to ask what they did. Remember that ALL RV's leaving the factory MUST (with exceptions for human error) meet RVIA standards, so it's very unlikely that one trailer of one model they manufacture will have significantly different wiring present. Possibly, if you can find one, look at another similar model and compare the workmanship/wiring. I'd suspect you won't find similar "4 battery wiring" on a "factory fresh RV".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
MattHelm21

I would second John's comment. I think the compartment described with the Deep Cycle batteries in it can be the generator compartment so I would assume during design/manufacture it is left empty for customer storage when a generator is not present. It sounds like a great setup for the battery capacity needed to really operate the residential fridge and possible some other items if the inverter is sized correctly but I would clarify whether the factory or the dealer is responsible for the work.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
Jgkopp

The factory has set up a really nice black plastic battery vent system for my single 12 volt battery so fumes vent to the outside. If that feature is missing it would be interesting to know how the implications of having that many batteries in a compartment without an outside vent affect the air quality in the compartment/rig? If I'm not mistaken, battery fumes are corrosive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
gearhead

Are you saying they have the positives of the house and refrig batteries wired together? It's been a long time since electrical school for me, but that doesn't sound right. I think I would want those systems completely separate, I think.
As far as the chaffing I would find some thick wall hose, split it and slip it over the cable where it might rub. Or maybe look for a rubber bulkhead pad.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod