Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
AdamKY

Question about adding second air conditioner

Hello all. I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar 33RBI Travel Trailer. We are planning to spend 6 weeks in it this summer, and on hot days, the single air conditioner struggles to keep up. I noticed on my build sheet that one of the options that was included on my unit was “50 amp service/wired and braces for second A/C.”

I’m thinking of adding a second air conditioner but have a few questions about this option. First, does anyone know if this is braceD in the master bedroom or the bunkhouse vent, or how I would know?

Second, I Assume this is for a ductless a/c unit? Or would it also be pre-ducted for a ducted A/c unit? I was thinking of getting a 13500 btu ductless unit.

Anything else I need to consider?
AdamKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Typically 2nd AC unit is for the bedroom. You can remove the trim ring from the vent and look for venting on each side. It might be covered with aluminum tape.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKY View Post
Hello all. I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar 33RBI Travel Trailer. We are planning to spend 6 weeks in it this summer, and on hot days, the single air conditioner struggles to keep up. I noticed on my build sheet that one of the options that was included on my unit was “50 amp service/wired and braces for second A/C.”

I’m thinking of adding a second air conditioner but have a few questions about this option. First, does anyone know if this is braceD in the master bedroom or the bunkhouse vent, or how I would know?

Second, I Assume this is for a ductless a/c unit? Or would it also be pre-ducted for a ducted A/c unit? I was thinking of getting a 13500 btu ductless unit.

Anything else I need to consider?

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but here is a great post that covers the entire 'pre-wired for 2nd A/C' project. This info describes an installation in a trailer equipped with the 'In Command' system.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=38195

You may find at least some of the info useful.

As an FYI, I was able to locate the original poster of this tutorial (KC10Chief) and he will hopefully be re-uploading the missing pics very soon.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Brantlyj

My Hideout is pre-wired for a second a/c as well. It’s in the bedroom, next to the vent is a blank outlet and inside is the Romeo wiring. I believe there is a little sticker that indicates that as well.
If it would help I can snap a pic of it tomorrow.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:54 AM   #5
xrated

I had an Impact 303, which is a Toy Hauler and the 2nd A/C prep was in the garage area (yes, I know, not a travel trailer). In mine, when I got ready to add the second A/C unit, I removed the blank cover that was mentioned in a previous post and in that are was not only the 120VAC for the A/C unit, but also the 12VDC (Pos. and Neg.), and the small 4 wire cable for the thermostat. In mine, everything was there to do the add on A/C. The one "unknown" that I had with mine was ....where was the other end of the 4 conductor cable that was to be used to hook up another thermostat. Fortunately, another member here.... ctbruce has a similar unit and the dealer had done an install of the second unit on his and the thermostat placement on his led me to the area where the wire might be. After removing a couple of wall switches in that area and looking around inside the wall, using a mirror, I found the other end of the 4 conductor cable just hanging inside the wall. I fished it out and and drill a hole in that wall in order to bring the cable out that hole and hook up to the new thermostat that I had bought with the new A/C unit. BTW, my additional A/C unit was ductless and helped out alot in the summer heat.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I had an Impact 303, which is a Toy Hauler and the 2nd A/C prep was in the garage area (yes, I know, not a travel trailer). In mine, when I got ready to add the second A/C unit, I removed the blank cover that was mentioned in a previous post and in that are was not only the 120VAC for the A/C unit, but also the 12VDC (Pos. and Neg.), and the small 4 wire cable for the thermostat. In mine, everything was there to do the add on A/C. The one "unknown" that I had with mine was ....where was the other end of the 4 conductor cable that was to be used to hook up another thermostat. Fortunately, another member here.... ctbruce has a similar unit and the dealer had done an install of the second unit on his and the thermostat placement on his led me to the area where the wire might be. After removing a couple of wall switches in that area and looking around inside the wall, using a mirror, I found the other end of the 4 conductor cable just hanging inside the wall. I fished it out and and drill a hole in that wall in order to bring the cable out that hole and hook up to the new thermostat that I had bought with the new A/C unit. BTW, my additional A/C unit was ductless and helped out alot in the summer heat.
Interesting, wonder if this applies to 3rd AC option units. Our Fuzion 420 had the 3rd option but ours has just 2. The bedroom and garage. The 3rd is in living area in the center of ones with it. But I heard they all cycled one-off so only 2 were active at the same time
Hmmmm
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
Geo92503

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I have a 2015 Impact 303 and would like to place an additional A/C unit in garage area too. Which A/C unit and tstat did you purchase and install? Also, where did you locate hidden wire for tstat?
Geo92503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner