Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Obes22

Water heater location

Anyone know where how to get access to the rear of my water heater. We just got a 2020 cougar 34 TSB. It doesn’t seam like there is an easy way to get to it. Does it definitely have a bi pass ??
Obes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

This wasn’t covered as part of the walkthrough at delivery? On your model it can sometimes be accessed in the passthrough, but more likely you would lift the bed up to access the storage space underneath and there will be a small removable panel held in place by two screws
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Obes22

The walk through was very thorough but the bypass was the only thing not talked about and I completely forgot. It looks like it would be accessed in the pass through storage but I took 2 screws out and the panel wouldn’t budge. Not sure if I need to take out more screws.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Obes22

I was able to get access to the rear of the tank and there is no valve. The hoses go into another compartment next the the water heater where the pump is and where the city water comes in. I can get easy access to that but still can’t find any valve for a bypass.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The bypass valve is directly plumbed to the lower (input) fitting on the water heater. It's located within 3" of the actual inlet fitting on the rear of the water heater tank. Here's a photo of the "typical location" You can "barely see it, mounted with the handle to the inside where it's "safer from damage but harder to find and turn"….

Note: The second photo is a drawing that shows two valves (top and bottom) but your water heater only has the lower valve. The top one is replaced with a "one way valve" that only allows hot water to leave the water heater tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	27590   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	27591  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
Obes22

Would it make sense that I would have to climb into the front storage compartment from the passenger side all the way to the drivers side because the drivers side door is only a small square. Then once inside I would need to take off 2 panels to get access to the back of the heater. It seems like a hell of a lot of work and in an impossible spot just to get to the bypass if it’s there.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Here is a link to your trailer (I think);

At the 12:53 mark it shows the "box" inside your passthru that I'm assuming you refer to. Judging by the location of the outside cover that indeed would be the hot water heater. And, it appears the only access to the "backside" is thru that compartment....just by looking. Someone else may have the unit and know better. Just as a note, if it is like the ones I've had previously it will come out by removing that outside door/cover and pulling it out from the outside - I believe. RV manufacturers are not known for thinking of, or building/designing to, the convenience of the owner.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Obes22

Yes that’s the exactly the box where the heater is. Both panels actually have to be removed to get access to the rear. Not very easy for a 230 lb person 😫
Old 05-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obes22 View Post
Would it make sense that I would have to climb into the front storage compartment from the passenger side all the way to the drivers side because the drivers side door is only a small square. Then once inside I would need to take off 2 panels to get access to the back of the heater. It seems like a hell of a lot of work and in an impossible spot just to get to the bypass if it’s there.
Yes, it absolutely makes "sense to Keystone" that you'd have to climb into the front storage compartment to access the bypass valve. That's actually one of the "more convenient spots".... There are at least two threads currently on the forum asking about "how do I access a certain part" of their trailer....

In reality, it's no different than GM designing a car that you have to pull the starter or manifold to access the rear spark plug or Ford designing a car with the oil filter inaccessible from the bottom of the engine, so you have to "drip oil over the engine" to change the oil filter... If you think cars and RV's are "hard to access parts, follow an aircraft mechanic around any modern airplane for a day, you'll meet "Spiderman, rubberman, contorsionman and foul language man" plus a few more.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater