Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
RACMan

Cool 2020 Premier - Walkable roof

Hello all

We have recently become the proud owners of a 2020 Premier 30RIPR couple's trailer. I just downloaded the 2020 Keystone Premier brochure, and note that there is a key feature of a Walkable Roof.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/915..._dec19_web.pdf

In the owners manual that came with our rig, it states that the roof is walkable ONLY IF it came with a factory ladder.

I have no factory ladder.
Posts in this forum suggest this is not walkable.

Can someone provide clarity...perhaps a Keystone rep...I'd like to add a ladder

Much thanks
Stay safe

Karen & Roger
2020 30RIPR
Nothing Else Matters
RACMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your new trailer. You will not find a Keystone rep on this forum but there are a lot of peeps with knowledge and experience.

As far as your roof goes. If it doesn’t have a ladder, it is not walkable. But...you can get up there if you want to. Use a 4x8 sheet of rigid foam insulation to distribute your weight. Maybe kneel on it instead of walk on it, depending on how big you are. Try this at your own risk and peril.

Or, I’ve heard others say they can do most of the maintenance on the roof from a ladder on the sides.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Gegrad

I wouldn't walk on the roof of a Premier, as it is still an ultralite. I have a 12' step ladder, so I can wash and reach all of my roof from the sides. When I got up there to install one of my Max Air vents in the center I put down an old scrap bed sheet and a piece of plywood so I could get all the way on the roof.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
08quadram

My understanding and the brochure for my 2029 bullet is when they went to the new Hyperdeck, they increased the roof deck size to 3/8" thick. Mine says walkable. Since I'm well under 200lbs, I don't see an issue.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACMan View Post
Hello all

We have recently become the proud owners of a 2020 Premier 30RIPR couple's trailer. I just downloaded the 2020 Keystone Premier brochure, and note that there is a key feature of a Walkable Roof.

In the owners manual that came with our rig, it states that the roof is walkable ONLY IF it came with a factory ladder.

Much thanks
Stay safe
Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of every page as well as the forum rules. Keystone does not monitor this site and to my knowledge no Keystone employee is a member.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hello all

Much thanks
Stay safe
As stated, there are NO Keystone reps on this forum, none that "check in from time to time" and to my knowledge, no employee of Keystone RV has ever registered or contributed to this forum in any official or unofficial post.

I've been accused of "being a Keystone rep" a number of times by UNINFORMED forum members (I have no connection with Keystone other than owning a Cougar)… So, let me try to answer your question about your roof.

If you want to know if your roof is walkable, remove the garnish ring on your bathroom roof vent fan. Once the garnish is down, you'll see 4 TPO flaps stapled to the vent framing. Pull the staples from one of those flaps, lift it away from the framing and you'll be able to see exactly what thickness of deck sheeting was installed as roof decking on YOUR trailer. With that information, YOU can decide whether you want to risk walking on the roof or not based on how much YOU weigh, how "heavy" YOU walk, what risks YOU are willing to take by making YOUR decision....

When it comes right down to the "nitty gritty" if YOU get on the roof of YOUR RV, and things "come crashing down" do you really think that your dealership will be able to convince Keystone to repair it based on "defective materials" ??? If you do, then go back and reread the definitions in the Keystone owner's manual where they describe the difference in a "defect" and "damage" when it comes to what Keystone will repair under warranty.... My guess: Even if your trailer has a ladder and a "walkable roof" if you climb up the ladder and rip it off the back of your RV or climb on the roof, hear a "crack" and tow the trailer to the dealership, expecting them to repair "the defect" under warranty, be prepared for a long, extended battle trying to get that "damage" done by you changed to a "defect" that Keystone is responsible to repair......

Essentially, if you fall through the roof decking or damage it, it's going to be a decision of "damage vs defect" (Keystone defines it and Keystone is responsible for defects only)... You'll probably, in nearly every situation, wind up filing a claim against your insurance company if it's "damaged" or paying for the repairs out of your own pocket...

I'm not suggesting that the situation is "right or wrong" or that "I agree with the Keystone warranty terms and conditions", I'm simply trying to be realistic about what you'll face if you drag your trailer to a dealership and expect Keystone to fix the dimple in the roof where you stepped and it cracked.... My guess, it simply "ain't gonna happen"...

I can't imagine a situation where and owner can "walk on his roof" cause damage and be successful in having Keystone repair the damage (while calling it a defect)…. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

To address the addition of a ladder, it's not as simple as "slapping in" a few screws. The units that come with a ladder have some backing where the ladder mounts. To mount on a trailer not set up for a ladder would require taking apart the rear wall and reconstructing it with the proper supports to mount a ladder.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:06 AM   #8
RACMan

Much thank all.

A call to the factory is in order.
I at least want to sort our the marketing claims in the 2020 brochure that clearly state the bullet line is walkable...from the owners manual that suggests it is not. You cant have it both ways...
IF the factory says YES YES YES, I am going to ask for a diagram of where to mount the access ladder...and will share any info.

Be safe

Karen & Roger
2020 30RIPR
Nothing Else Matters
Old 05-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I would caution you not to install a ladder on your RV. There are many "pitfalls" to doing that. Things like the screws loosening on the roof and causing leaks, the screws loosening on the rear wall causing delamination, weight limits on the ladder not supporting your weight, plastic rungs on the ladder that degrade when exposed to UV from the sun, Roof ladders are expensive for what they are, just to name a few.

Alternatively, you can buy a collapsing aluminum ladder that is rated for 300 pounds (double most RV roof ladders) for less than $100. They easily store in the front passthrough compartment, are readily available to access any part of the roof, not just the "rear roadside corner", and to be honest, TPO roofs are slick when wet. If you're wanting to clear off a few leaves or a twig from the wet roof, when in a campground, miles from the nearest hospital (and not knowing which direction to head to get to that hospital) doing that type task from the ladder, not while risking a slip off the roof just makes for a safer result.

There have been many threads about RV ladders, installing them where none were provided by the factory, communicating with Keystone to get diagrams for where to install the ladder, possible "construction provisions" on trailers where no ladder was installed, and much more to consider.

If you do a forum search for topics such as "installing a roof ladder" or "roof ladder mod" or similar topics, you'll find a lot of information that would help you prepare your "question list for Keystone".... Don't call them "unprepared" because they'll answer what you ask and tell you, "sorry no diagram exists for the structural components on your trailer". You'll need to know "specifically what you need to know and how to ask it to get a response from Keystone".... It ain't an easy task !!!!!

Here's a few links to old threads concerning installing a ladder"
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ng+roof+ladder

You might also do a forum search for topics like "walkable roof" to get more information on not only your trailer model, but the specific brand and Keystone trailers in general.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-08-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
RACMan

Valid points. I'll keep it in mind...
Appreciate the advice.

Karen & Roger
2020 30RIPR
Nothing Else Matters
Old 05-08-2020, 06:41 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I don't put much credence in any "marketing brochure", that's another way of saying advertisement. The DW and I always comment on the Sandals Resort commercials that we need to go there so "we can look like the couples on the commercial". I didn't but a Tundra to pull a Space Shuttle, or a Ford to pull a train, or a Chevy to haul logs up a mountain either.

Good luck on your call to Keystone. Let us know what you discover.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Eastham

Find a keystone model that has a ladder. Check the specks and you will probably find out that it is made the same way yours is.i have a 2016 cougar no ladder and the paperwork says walkable roof.i checked a fifth wheel with a ladder and the specks were the same for both roofs.i have walked on it to clean and inspect it with no problems.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #13
Bill-2020

Quote:
Valid points. I'll keep it in mind...
Appreciate the advice.
On a different thread, for a different model trailer, a member and I were both told by the factory different answers to the question of “walkable roof” or not (phone calls to the factory). I guess it depends on who answers the phone there and perhaps what day it was. I’ve learned here that there is a massive wealth of information here from individuals who know what they’re talking about. They been “down that road before” as they say. I read the manual, then I read the forum...
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
James p

It is my understanding that if the trailer came with a factory installed ladder you have a walkable roof
James p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by James p View Post
It is my understanding that if the trailer came with a factory installed ladder you have a walkable roof
That's a "walkable roof" with no clear definition of how much weight it will support. If you weigh 150 pounds on that "walkable roof" you may be OK. On the other hand, if you weigh 400 pounds, I wouldn't bet on it being "walkable"..

Where it gets "dicey" is when you weight 240 and have a 100 pound air conditioner in your arms as you walk it to the roof vent opening.... You (240 pounds) may be "walkable" and you(240 + the A/C) may suddenly find one leg inside the RV.

Walkable is not always walkable....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Briansdeluxe

I have a 2015 Springdale 267 without a ladder. I bought it off my friends auction site and it came with no paper work. Great shape and love it. I have been on the roof numerous times without thinking if it was ok. I just assumed it was. I weigh 240 pounds. No issues yet but now I question if I should be up there any more. I get up there to clean and put the cover on. Thanks everyone
Briansdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
James p

Thanks for input john
James p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

As John points out, "walkable" is relative to lots of different criteria. Which ones will cause your next "walk" to fail you don't know until that leg is stuck through the roof/ceiling.

I had the dealership do a roof cleaning/sealing on my less than one year old trailer a few years ago. I was there during part of it. A somewhat "round" employee was up on the roof doing the work (it was walkable with a ladder). I used the ladder on the rear to go up and observe. A couple of things struck me for that 3-4 minutes I was up there. 1) that roof sure flexed a lot when he walked around, enough for me to tell him to watch where he was stepping and try to step on the trusses and 2) he (I suppose) was the first person to ever climb that ladder (I would have been the 2nd) and I was shocked at how "wobbly" and loose it was already. Told the guy on the ground to get something to tighten all the screws/brackets because they would tear the back wall off when he came down. He did (tighten them). Didn't matter; after I picked it up and got it home found the screws loose again and the grab bar handles at the top bent. Lesson learned.

I'm about 200 and I won't use the ladder, I just put another beside it and use the top step or so if I need to get "up on top". Generally I use a telescoping ladder from the side and forget the roof ladder/walkable roof thing - too many things to go wrong this late in life. I know others do things differently but that's my take on it for me. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 AM   #19
Hugo-H

Quote:
Hello all

Much thanks
Stay safe

Hi RACMan,

Would you please be so kind to add that pdf file here?... since I am from Belgium, and got myself an 31ft trailer recently, I cannot get onto the Keystone's website.. it seems to be not allowed in Europe...for security reasons???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 11.03.41.png
Views:	163
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	27573  
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
Hi RACMan,

Would you please be so kind to add that pdf file here?... since I am from Belgium, and got myself an 31ft trailer recently, I cannot get onto the Keystone's website.. it seems to be not allowed in Europe...for security reasons???
The brochure is too large to attach on this forum. Sorry

bullet_east_brochure_dec19_web.pdf:
Your file of 9.84 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 2.00 MB for this filetype
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof