Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #41
ChuckS

Yes I use them with TPMS on RV... nothing internal inside the wheel for that system.

Regardless... the amount of weight the OP is reporting on one tire to balance it indicates There is a problem either with the tire, the wheel, and or the way the tire was mounted to the wheel

At the very least the shop should remove all the weights, unmount that tire and remount tire rotated 180 degrees and balance...

If it still needs that much weight they’d be putting on a completely new tire if it was my RV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yes I use them with TPMS on RV... nothing internal inside the wheel for that system.

Regardless... the amount of weight the OP is reporting on one tire to balance it indicates There is a problem either with the tire, the wheel, and or the way the tire was mounted to the wheel

At the very least the shop should remove all the weights, unmount that tire and remount tire rotated 180 degrees and balance...

If it still needs that much weight they’d be putting on a completely new tire if it was my RV
^^^ What he said. Tires are "normally slightly off balance" they are not "almost a pound off balance" There may be something wrong with the wheel, there may be something wrong with the tire, it may be that the tire is mounted with the "heavy part next to the wheel's heavy part (and rotating the tire 180* on the wheel will fix it), it may be that something inside the tire "separated and is rolled up in one spot...

As a "far fetched possibility" it may be that the person mounting the tire to the wheel (before it was shipped to Keystone) may have "lost a wrench" and you found it …. Or at least, you have it and don't yet know it.....

Something's "off kilter" with that tire/wheel combination. I wouldn't tow my trailer with that tire on the ground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #43
Bill-2020

Note, I'm not the OP, but since I've stirred this up with a wheel that is not behaving, I'll assume the OP position for now.

I'll take that particular tire to the shop and have them rotate it 180 degrees and rebalance it again. Good idea, and much appreciated. When I said there are 16 weights on the wheel, that's 16 1/4 ounce weights. 4 ounces total.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, they looked like that. Thanks!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Note, I'm not the OP, but since I've stirred this up with a wheel that is not behaving, I'll assume the OP position for now.

I'll take that particular tire to the shop and have them rotate it 180 degrees and rebalance it again. Good idea, and much appreciated. When I said there are 16 weights on the wheel, that's 16 1/4 ounce weights. 4 ounces total.
Bill,

That 4 ounces rather than 16 ounces makes a significant difference. While still not ideal, 4 ounces is probably acceptable for balancing a ST tire, given some of the ways they're handled, shipped and mounted. I don't know that I'd return the tire again with that new information. If it were 16 ounces, then no way I'd tow with it on my trailer. So, at this point, it's pretty much a matter (at least in my opinion) of accepting it being "on the outside edge of OK" or trying to make it better by adjusting the tire on the wheel. That's a decision you'll need to make for your own peace of mind.

For the record, not that it matters in "function", but what brand wheel and tire are you trying to balance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #46
ChuckS

If the total weight is only 4 ounces then why on earth did the tire guy install 16 weights? That’s also not acceptable ... his balancer tells him how much weight is needed and where to install. The tire shop should know better than this...extremely shoddy work was performed by a tire tech that doesn’t know his job

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Looks to me the tire shop only buys a "one size fits all wheel weight". I would not accept that myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #48
Bill-2020

John- I'm glad you have better feelings about the 4 oz of weights. I'm going to throw a $20 at this wheel and have them rotate the tire 180 degrees in the morning. This is worth the knowledge to me now. The tires are sadly Trailer Kings and the wheel is YUAN CHEN - China, it says on the inside. 2200 max load. 14" - 5 Lug. I've been looking for different wheels (perhaps 15"), these are just ugly to me and too sporty. I can't find an aluminum wheel that has a matching 2200 load capacity. Everything I see is 1900. If I was able to find the right wheel, it was my thought to put a set of GY Endurance on them. Then sell these as a set to help offset the costs.

Chuck, Marshall - I watched the manager rebalance the wheel. It told him to use the 16 1/4oz stick-down weights. Two rows next to each other. On another wheel it only needed 1 1/4oz, and the machine to him to put it on the lip of the inside of the wheel (old school weight). I questioned why two different type weights in different locations on those two wheels. It was where the weight was needed, either outboard or inboard of the wheel's center line. We'll see how this wheel rebalances after the tire is spun 180 degrees. Stay tuned...
Old 05-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #49
Bill-2020

And here you have the result of rotating the tire 180 degrees and balancing it again. Much Better. I'm not sure what the true weight is from the markings on the old type of weight, but it would appear to be maybe 3/4 oz, given the size and taking into account the metal clip that holds it to the wheel. The new weights are located about 30 degrees right of the original location on the wheel. Shows that the heavy side of the tire was in fact matched up with the heavy side of the wheel. Thanks to all with your thoughts, ideas, insight and knowledge. A good lesson learned when new tires are needed/wanted. If there's too much weight, spin the tire. We're packing camper... Oh, it was only $9.62 for this because I removed the old weights and adhesives. Time and money well spent in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	27446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	27447  
Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #50
AbHDToyHauler

Just to add my two cents! I have used the balance beads for 10 years on my motorcycle tires which I change myself as needed and have reused the beads many times. Inside the tire when removed i found minimal tire wear and a bit of rubber fluff. I also use them on my truck tires and my wifes car tires. They balance dynamically so each time you drive they rebalance. I have never had issues with beads sticking in valve but I use the bead safe valves inserts and always check them with the valves at the 6 o'clock position as recommended by the manufacturer DynaBeads. I haven't used them on my trailer tires "yet" (Sailuns) but would not be afraid to. I believe i get more miles out my tires on the motorcycle for sure by using beads. I know trucking companies have been using the for years before I ever tried them. Why? To get more tire life. Perhaps the tire companies sell more tires when they wear prematurely? I don't know. LOL
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote