Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Tatanka Ob Waci

Toy Hauler Garage Floor

We have a 2014 Raptor 384PK toy hauler that we purchased new in 2015. We have had our share of issues with it to say the least, but the most recent that showed up is soft spots in garage floor. I haven't tackled it yet but I suspect the leaking from the sliding glass door to the side deck is the culprit. I have never been able to seal that door. Repair facilities say it is just a cheap door and nothing can be done with it.

Anyway, my question is have any of you folks had to replace your floor? If so, did you put marine plywood down or diamond plate or what? How big of a job was it to replace?

I contacted Keystone about the issue and as usual, they told me to take it to an authorized dealer and that it comes out of my pocket because it's out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
chunker

On my 2011 Raptor 300MP I had a soft spot in the aft rear portion of the garage floor. It was in the vicinity of a
"D" ring tie-down and the tie-down was pulling up. It's been a while but as I recall I removed the side trim, in floor storage compartment on the left side and pulled up the rubber floor covering. I cut out the bad floor area back to solid wood and a frame member and used plywood to rebuild the floor. As I recall the original floor was 1" and I used 2 pieces of thinner to laminate the patch. I didn't use marine or treated plywood. I got some very heavy industrial thickness trash bags and used one as an under liner to replace the plastic underwrap. Sealed around the edges to prevent any future leaks and put back together. Wasn't sure where my leak was so I sealed everything I could find. I also sprayed rubberized undercoating all around the underside and the seams of my wood floor repair.

No pictures of the repair procedure.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Texcoonazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka Ob Waci View Post
I haven't tackled it yet but I suspect the leaking from the sliding glass door to the side deck is the culprit. I have never been able to seal that door.
Thanks in advance.
I have a 428SP and your post about the leaking sliding glass peaked my interest since ours is similar. Would this leak even with the patio closed shut? Or do you leave the patio down when raining and the rain water gets past the sliding door when down?
Texcoonazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
roadglide

I'm wondering if it's the same kind of light weight sliding glasdoor I rebuilt going into the garage . The glass pulled loose from the seal and frame .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Gerry

Not if, but when

I am in the middle of replacing the whole floor,in the garage. I am guessing a previous owner of my 301 parked machines with snow on them, and it melted. if you think those round tie-downs are watertight to the floor, they are not. If your floor is not spongy, get out there ASAP and put fresh sealant around all of them and overlap the floor to the tie-down. If your floor is spongy, you'll be doing what I am in the middle of right now. Mine was so bad, after I pulled the rubber flooring, the wood and foam came up in handfuls. The floor is a composite of aluminum square tubing, some wood on the frame rails, Styrofoam insulation, and very cheap, non-exterior 1/8" plywood top and bottom which disintegrates when it becomes wet. I think there might have been some salt in that snow as some of the aluminum tubing was very corroded.
I know it sounds odd, but in the 80's I used to build custom racing sailboats out of wood and composites, and epoxy. this floor will be the strongest thing in the trailer, and it will still be very light.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
roadglide

Gerry can you post some pics of your garage floor rebuild ?
Old 05-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Gerry

Hi Roadglide. Sure, I have some demo pictures I can post now, once I figure how to upload them. I figure it will take me a month or 2 due to the time I have to work on it. I also will do 1/2 at a time so that I have something to walk on.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
Gerry

I am careful not to damage the plastic film underneath. I will post more pictures as I progress.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	1672
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	27071
Old 05-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #9
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I am careful not to damage the plastic film underneath. I will post more pictures as I progress.
Attachment 27071
I have a fifth wheel toy hauler my garage I’m almost sure there are no aluminum tubing in the garage. That is the second pull behind trailer on the Fourm with aluminum tubing I seen with different construction then my fifth wheels garage.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #10
DMK

Quote:

Attachment 27071
Is the rot extending under the walls? Are you just cutting the old out flush with the walls or getting it all out and can you fit the new board under the walls? I've just replaced the flooring in my basement pass thru removing the framing on the utility wall and the front wall to access all of the old floor so I could remove all the rot. Then used advantek subflooring to replace.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:49 AM   #11
Gerry

It does go under the side walls. I can remove the rotted wood by using some wedges to gain a few milometers of space. I have a lot of aluminum tubing to move under also. My plan is to cut the underlayment into smaller sections to be able to maneuver into positions. put scarf joints at the edges. dry fit everything first, and the coat and join everything with an epoxy product like the West System, and then it will be permanent and forever rot free. That's just the bottom layer. The floor is 1 and 3/4 thick, so I will add additional wood support as the aluminum tubing that was origionally in the floor is not sufficient. Also coat and glue everything with Epoxy. Fill void areas with sheet foam, then top everything off with another layer of the epoxy coated underlayment. I'll have a nice waterproof luxury vinyl planking on that to make it look pretty.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Not that it's "exactly the same situation" but there is a current thread in which a member explains, complete with photos, how he removed the rotted floor and installed a new one in the passthrough section of his fifth wheel. He worked completely (for the most part) above the coroplast without access from the underside of the RV. That thread may give you some insight into how the process worked, at least for him. Here's the link to that thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ighlight=floor

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
Gerry

Wow, another big job. Nice pictures.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
DMK

Quote:
Wow, another big job. Nice pictures.
That's the pass thru I was referring to above. Mine! Lol! Starting top go back together finally. Your taking it further using west epoxy! I have used that to repair a boat transom once, great product!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #15
Gerry

Under normal conditions, at this time of year we would have urgency. This year because of the virus, not so much.

Tags
floor, toy hauler