Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
tom martin

water

when i hook up to water at a campground, it sounds like water is running though, like im filling my water tank, if i open the tank drain water will pour out i have moved the valve and it still does it. any suggestions?
tom martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What valve are you turning?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Roscommon48

we need more information. what trailer, what valves are you moving? typically we just have our valve on 'city water' not fill.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
CrazyCain

If hooked up to city water inlet, maybe he is thinking it also fills the fresh water tank....Dunno

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
If hooked up to city water inlet, maybe he is thinking it also fills the fresh water tank....Dunno
It could be the valves are miss labeled for wintering and fill . I have city water and the valve. I never use the valve to fill my fresh water tank. I fill my water tank by removing the cap thats external . Some have that and some do not.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Not knowing what type of camper you have or the type of water system, there is a possibility of one of two things going on.

If your camper has a gravity fill (outside) port to fill the fresh water tank and it is filling with water when you are connected to city water and not running water with your water pump and fresh water holding tank, then more than likely the check-valve near the water pump is failing, (and / or) the water pump itself is failing to prevent water from filling the fresh water tank backwards.

If your camper has only 1 (garden hose) connection and you have to flip a valve to either run water directly from the hose, or to fill the on-board fresh water than, then more than likely, you have failed to flip the valve to its normal - non-fill position.

Hot water by-pass valve has nothing to do with filling, or back-filling the fresh water tank. If the on-board fresh water tank is still filling when you are running on city water (garden hose), and not the water pump, then somewhere in the system there is a back-fill happening. More than likely, it's that valve you flip to change the water direction from filling the fresh water tank to running water from the city water hose.

Try adding water to your fresh water tank. Turn off the water spigot (city water) garden hose, and turn on your on-board water pump. Does water run normal? If not, your back fill is probably occurring at the water pump, as it's not sealed any more.

Did you just unwinterize and this is your first attempt at running the water? If so, something may have froze up over the winter months ... more than likely, water left in the water pump.

I'd start with the water pump and make sure it operates correct. If it does, then move backwards to the water fill connections.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
tom martin

water

my trailer is a 2019 Keystone Alpine Model 3651RL, the valves i am moving is in the hook-up area, the ones labeled for tank fill and heater bypass, according to the valves the tank fill is off. but the tank fills any way. this is a brand new trailer i took delivery in July 2019.

i have cycled the valve to see if there was a seat problem or something caught in there but to no avail.

i hadnt though about mis-labeled,,, ill hook up a water hose in the yare this weekend and see what if i can check it out for mis-labels
tom martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Some owners have found that moving the valves when they are pressurized by the city water being turned on, will "unseat the O-rings" causing the valve to fail. You might want to move the valve handles with no pressure on the system to see if there's any binding or catching as the handles move. There was a "rash of leaking valves" (that caused the fresh water tank to overfill) a couple of years ago and if I remember the threads correctly, most of the issue was from O-rings "rolling" out of their seats in the valve body.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water