Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2020, 02:11 AM   #1
Racer

Rainier Tire Blow out

2018 High Country Montana, tires Rainier ST 235/80R16. Have only had the RV since Sept 2018 and camped 4-5 times local area within 2 hrs. RV kept under pole barn out of weather. One of the tires blew out, had 95 PSI as printed on tire traveling 55-65 mph (55 when blow out occurred). Inside tread separated all the way around, No nails. What are my chances of finding a company with Rainier tires and getting another without cost or deal with it and spend the money for another?

Any feedback welcomed

Thanks
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #2
Northofu1

Save your worry and buy 5 Sailun tires. JMO

Sorry, to the forum

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Look on page 21 in the reference below.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

You know you don't have to use that name brand. Any brand with a designated size ST235/80R16 LRF.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:10 AM   #4
CWtheMan

On another note. Tire damage is cumulative. Without knowing tire history from factory to consumer is a factor to consider with Original Equipment tires having tread separations. Especially those that have sufficient load capacity reserves when properly inflated.

A lot of the delivery drivers were once commercial truck drivers and will, from habit, inflate trailer tires to the load carried. That practice eliminates load capacity reserves for trailer tires and is not the approved method for RV trailer tire inflation.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

You can look at the date code on the tires to see exactly how old they are. To CW's point, all 4 tires have more than likely been subjected to the same treatment/conditions. Often people "end up going down a rabbit hole" by "chasing" bad tires. You replace that one with the same brand, then say 2 months later another on failso only this time it happens while driving and the tread flails around and does several thousands of dollars in damage to your trailer.

I'd replace all of them with a quality tire, get a TPMS and drive with the knowledge of how the tires have used and cared for. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #6
notanlines

Dan (Northofu) has the right idea. Part with the money and sleep easy...get those rags off your RV before it turns ugly.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
2018 High Country Montana, tires Rainier ST 235/80R16. Have only had the RV since Sept 2018 and camped 4-5 times local area within 2 hrs. RV kept under pole barn out of weather. One of the tires blew out, had 95 PSI as printed on tire traveling 55-65 mph (55 when blow out occurred). Inside tread separated all the way around, No nails. What are my chances of finding a company with Rainier tires and getting another without cost or deal with it and spend the money for another?

Any feedback welcomed

Thanks

Sorry for your misfortune. You don't say or list which HC you have but I expect you have LRF tires? Your experience is exactly why I had the same tires removed from my brand new HC before it ever left the lot. I had Sailun S637 LRGs installed, including the spare; I would highly recommend you do the same. That tire failure put undue stress on the other tires (in what shape we don't know due to factors mentioned previously) and is possibly running at the edge of capacity anyway (I believe in excess capacity - not minimal). When dealing with tires, ie; safety, getting one "free" or getting "one" shouldn't be a consideration IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

Any feedback welcomed

Thanks
When that "blowout occurred" the other tire on that side of the trailer "INSTANTLY supported the entire load for both tires"... So, whether you choose to "only replace damaged tires" or "replace all 5 and be done with it, remember that you now have at least one "tire that was significantly overloaded with a high probability of pending failure"....

Best bet, find a tire dealer that sells GY Endurance, Carlisle, or Sailun and buy 5 replacement tires. Your insurance company (and your family) will thank you for not having to endure the next tire failure with the likelihood of significant wheelwell damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When that "blowout occurred" the other tire on that side of the trailer "INSTANTLY supported the entire load for both tires"... So, whether you choose to "only replace damaged tires" or "replace all 5 and be done with it, remember that you now have at least one "tire that was significantly overloaded with a high probability of pending failure"....

Best bet, find a tire dealer that sells GY Endurance, Carlisle, or Sailun and buy 5 replacement tires. Your insurance company (and your family) will thank you for not having to endure the next tire failure with the likelihood of significant wheelwell damage.
There is not a suitable GY Endurance tire with the load capacity to replace his Original Equipment LRF tires.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There is not a suitable GY Endurance tire with the load capacity to replace his Original Equipment LRF tires.
Then, it would probably be better to not use GY Endurance tires, eh ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

As a state trooper, I came across maybe 8-12 people on the side of the freeway with a blown tire on a 2 or 3 axle RV. That told me "Just xx miles ago I blew the other tire on the same side". Most where out of spares tires also. Early on, I get not get it until a old trooper told me what John said. Yea, 1 likely old tire was carrying the weight for two until the jack lifted it off the ground to change out the blown tire.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote