Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2023, 07:27 PM   #1
Max23

Gazebo thoughts.

Looking to maybe add one of these but unsure. Would be nice to put around the picnic table to eat without so many flies and etc. My questions are, does anyone have one? Do they use it? Is it a waste of money? Did you buy one and found you don't want to use it and why? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Is there one you would recommend or what's the general consensus on these? Thanks in advance for your experiences.
Attached Images

Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have Clam enclosures and they are about the same thing; make sure of the construction of them if another brand as they will tear at the seams if not made well.

As far as use, I have a 12x12 and a 6x6. Used the large one for a couple of years for DW to do crafts and sit out in. That fell out of favor so bought the 6x6 for the same thing and used it one season. They both sit in the barn and I would throw one or the other in for trips...but we won't be this year and maybe going forward so we can carry a ramp for our sick pup.

That said, they are as handy as a pocket on a shirt if you USE them. The Clam has mesh that is small enough to keep the no see ums in FL out and many brands won't do that. Easy to set up and take down. Great protected space. If we had kids or visitors they would be of more use but we go to see people, they don't come to see us.

As far as brands I've only seen 3 brands and don't remember any of them but the Clams we have. I do know the Clams appeared to be better built. For putting a table inside and eating at it to get away from flies etc. I would go with the larger one because they have plenty of room to put a mid sized picnic table in then move around.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:10 AM   #3
RickV

We have this it is a Coleman Shelter. The screen is a real fine mesh, pretty easy to setup and has room plenty of room inside. We have had it about 6 years and it is still in good shape. We use it a lot, it is nice to sit in when there are mosquitos and gnats around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230709_162245637.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	689.6 KB
ID:	44858  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
Weldon

We have a screen tent, not a gazebo. We use it when bugs are bad at CGs, specifically for the purpose you stated. It's easy to put up and we've had/used it for at least 6 years now. We also use it for outdoor parties at home if the mosquitos are especially hungry.

It was a lot less expensive than the gazebos if I remember. Just a suggestion.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #5
Canonman

Interesting conversation. The DW wants one. I see it as just another "gee-gaw" that I have to set up and tear down until the shine is off that nickel and she quits nagging me to put it up.... Unless the wind blows it down first.
Looks like we'll be going to Costco and spending $99 for their version
We just spent a week camping at 10,000' where it rained hard every day. I can certainly see where having a shelter could be a good idea. Put it up in the rain. Take it down in the rain. Then put it away wet, get home and put it up to dry then put it away again.
DAMED Costco
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL7979.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	44861  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Interesting conversation. The DW wants one. I see it as just another "gee-gaw" that I have to set up and tear down until the shine is off that nickel and she quits nagging me to put it up.... Unless the wind blows it down first.
We just spent a week camping at 10,000' where it rained hard every day. I can certainly see where having a shelter could be a good idea. Put it up in the rain. Take it down in the rain. Then put it away wet, get home and put it up to dry then put it away again.
DAMED Costco
LOL. Exactly the thoughts I'm after. But then again, it don't rain a lot around here. It's the flies we can't keep down. Mosquitos are easier to keep away. I'm more picky about that stuff than DW. So, I'd be putting it up for me, I hate bugs. They bug me!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
DAMED Costco

The Clams we own take maybe a minute to set up, probably a total of 5-7 minutes after you stake it down. If staked it won't blow away and the roof has collapsed once in a literal blinding monsoon but other than that very sturdy. Just pop open the sides and push up the top...that easy. Now putting it up in the rain then having to take it down in the rain....that might not be fun....but it would be quick. Last time I had to put up an enclosure in the rain it was a steel framed 14' camping tent with DW and my grandson....miserable. We got that thing up, we were all totally soaked and muddy and I asked - "anyone want to go back to the cabin for a while?" - Boom! Everyone was heading to the truck to forget this mess. We owned a vacation home in those mountains so we just went back, cleaned up, warmed up then tried the tent again the next day for grandson.---Last time I put up a tent.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:15 PM   #8
locomech

We had a gazebo similar to the OP. At first I thought it would be nice to have, but it didn't take long for me to realize I was mistaken. The gazebo was heavy and bulky to store and transport. It was also time consuming to set up and take down, especially in the rain.

It was somewhere in the Black Hills that a sudden gust of wind in the early hours of the morning blew through and mangled it beyond repair. We had it staked down and guyed but that just kept me from having to drag it out of someone else's campsite. I'm glad I didn't have the awning out as well, as some folks had their awnings ripped off.

We never replaced the gazebo, but we did pick up a popup sunshade for over the picnic table. It too is bulky and heavy but it's easier to set up than the gazebo. I don't know if I can say I like it any better than the gazebo cause I just drag it along just in case I might find a need for it. When it rains too hard or the bugs get too annoying we just go inside the trailer.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #9
Stangfire

I'm in Canada and the mosquitos can be horrendous. Some type of screen shelter is a must for me.

We used the coleman pop up style from Costco and it was great.

Without a screen shelter we found ourselves going to bed at 8pm because the bugs were so bad.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:12 AM   #10
bdoppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Looking to maybe add one of these but unsure. Would be nice to put around the picnic table to eat without so many flies and etc. My questions are, does anyone have one? Do they use it? Is it a waste of money? Did you buy one and found you don't want to use it and why? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Is there one you would recommend or what's the general consensus on these? Thanks in advance for your experiences.
We use ours all the time. Super easy and fast to set up and take down.

----------------------
2020 Springdale SG280BH
2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
bdoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #11
Jonahex2099

Ours - we love it....can use a propane fire pit in it and keeps the bugs out...

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
Bossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post

We have 2 clams they are amazing I set one up for a food table and we also sit in in when weather is cold or raining set a blanket on the ground kids can lay around watch iPads or put puzzles together they are great we have purchased so many different cheaper ones and they just don’t stand up to any weather
I set up the other one and we put our blackstone and toaster oven so it is the cooking tent

After first set up it is a breeze to put up and take down
Bossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #13
rlh1957

We have the Gazelle. I think 8 ft
It isn’t light folded up, about 30# and about 5ft long. So it is a bed of the truck carry or center aisle of you towable.
Nice if skeeters, bugs, noseeums are a problem.
Screen does let air in. Light mist or rain ok, but heavier rain will still come in sides. In summer it can get warmer inside with no breeze or no fan.
To setup for a night or two sometimes we don’t bother.

It is nice when bugs are out and you feel some privacy even though you are in a showcase!

We do enjoy. They aren’t cheap so justify cost by how much you’ll actually use it. The cheap ones seems to have zipper failures and panel rips sooner.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
Pathfinder75

Shelter over table

We have the Clam brand with side curtains for rain or wind.
The fine screens work great but do notice restricted air movement when it's hot. We use fan then.
Side curtains I felt would be used more but not needed for light rain. Also by fire when it's cold. Always stake either inside at each corner or if higher winds forcasted then use outside tiedown lines for increased support.
Easy setup and store well but as with anything use it often or forget procedure then it takes longer to sort out at next set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230426_161159.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	44959  
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote