Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #1
Darrell

Portable septic tanks

What portable septic tanks are you guys using for your campers? Would like to be able to pull it with my truck. Thanks be in advance
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
dutchmensport

They are not called "septic tanks." They are called RV "totes' or "tote-alongs."

There are two main manufacturing companies:

Barker Totes

and

Thetford

In addition Camco Rino is a contender also.

I have a 32 gallon Barker Blue Tote. I've had this same tote for over 25 years now. I replaced the wheels once and the slide valve once. Barker sent them to me absolutely free, even though they were some 15 years old already when they needed replaced. The tank has held up well, and it's been towed behind my vehicles, at least a thousand miles between campsites and dump stations all these years.

I take care of it, rinse it out well ever time I dump and keep it out of the weather, always.

Rather than putting the tongue of the tote over the ball of the hitch I use one of these D rings. I had it jump off the ball a couple times when towing it. I tried using bungee cords to hold it down, but stumbled into this thing and I've been using it ever since .... like over 20 years now!

This way just didn't cut the mustard:

I use it at home to dump into my septic tank since we use the camper all the time at home too. This works nice, but I found pulling it by hand is really much easier than dragging out the lawn mower every time I need to dump.

I like the Barker because it has the slide slide where an RV sewer hose is attached. Some of the other models come with the hose already attached. Sometimes, the attached hoses are just too short.

Unless you are a super strong person, you do NOT want to get the type that you have to lift or carry. Get the ones with 4 wheels. Lifting them is a real pain. Pulling one with 4 wheels, even a 32 or 40 gallon tank is not bad at all.

If you are on sand or on a down hill slope, you can always attach a rope to it and use your vehicle to pull it up to the road if the terrain or the campsite conditions are such that you can't pull it by hand to attach to your vehicle.

About the fastest you want to travel with one in tow is 10 mph or less. I usually just let the engine idle. Idle speed is fast enough. You don't want want the axles to over heat. They do not have bearings. The wheels are similar to wheels on a push lawn mower.

Some folks don't like them. For us, our Blue Tote has been priceless. If we had to move the camper every time we had to dump the tanks to take it to a dump station, we'd be breaking camp ever 2 days - 3 days. With the tote, I can dump ever other day, all 3 tanks and not over spill the tote.

This is the down-side of the tote. You REALLY have to learn how much is in your tanks and how much the tote will hold so you don't overfill the tote. If you do, you'll end up with a mess on the ground. But, in time, after using one long enough, you'll have this down to a science!

Good luck! Happy camping!
Old 07-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #3
TXiceman

We went with the Rhino tank as it appears to be a bit more heavy duty than the others,

Ken
Old 07-25-2023, 07:25 AM   #4
Darrell

That's one of the brands I have been looking at. Does seem to be a little bit more heavy duty than the others. And seems to come with all of the necessary accessories needed.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:55 AM   #5
Cwinch44

Bought the 28 gal rhino tank last month when in Wisconsin, built well and comes with all the accessories. worked very well.
One thing though, we went from Wisconsin to South Dacota with the tote on the ladder and noticed that the wheels looked funny at the camp in SD. I had installed all the caps when leaving Wi, so with th elevation change the tote swelled up from the difference in pressures and the axle popped out of one side. I released the pressure and was ablee to reinstall the axle. So now I will leave the one small top cap off, so it does not happen again while traveling cross country with different elevations.
Cwinch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We have the Camco Rhino and it has been a solid performer for us. I like the built-in spray flush and it came with all the necessary accessories. Very happy with ours
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #7
GlasNav

Years ago we had the large Barker with the square aluminum extension for towing, worked well until the frame chafed thru the tank. Two years ago I purchased the 36 gal Camco Rhino tote before the front wheel model became available, that beast is a back breaker! During the winter ice storms that swept thru Texas and Arkansas this winter, we had to hunker down in Corp of Engineers Toad Suck Lock and Dam Park, and during that period, I purchased the 28 gal that also has front wheels at Moix RV in nearby Conway between the ice storms. I highly recommend the model with the additional front wheels.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:01 AM   #8
RickV

I have the Barker 40 gallon tote. I put behind my 5ver hitch and can still close the tailgate, I tie it to the hitch with ratchet straps. I use a macerator pump to fill it and then can drive to the dump station without having to take it easy like if I was towing it. It drains real good this way too.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:39 AM   #9
Stangfire

I have the Thetford Smart tote II. I really like it. It has a indicator that tells you when it's full so you know to shut the valve off.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:40 PM   #10
WDPatterson

I have two Barker 42 gallon totes. I had to remove the front landing gear and plate, and plastic weld a crack which developed during use. I do not recommend these blow molded containers, unless you put them on a trailer and get rid of the front Landing gear.
That said, I actually did buy a 5 ft by 6 ft trailer from Lowe's, they both sit on it sideways, and the outlets face the back of the trailer. I just simply hook up the normal discharge hose, and empty them into the dump station from the trailer.
Furthermore, I use the Camco flexible Tank Wash device, as it connects to the same hose I would use to flush those tanks, anyway.
I also highly recommend the Camco transparent 90° elbow, as it shows you what's going on in a very important way.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:35 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Years ago we had the large Barker with the square aluminum extension for towing, worked well until the frame chafed thru the tank. Two years ago I purchased the 36 gal Camco Rhino tote before the front wheel model became available, that beast is a back breaker! During the winter ice storms that swept thru Texas and Arkansas this winter, we had to hunker down in Corp of Engineers Toad Suck Lock and Dam Park, and during that period, I purchased the 28 gal that also has front wheels at Moix RV in nearby Conway between the ice storms. I highly recommend the model with the additional front wheels.
You can buy the front wheel kit to retrofit your existing 36 gallon tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	44881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	44882  

Tags