Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2023, 11:57 AM   #21
dutchmensport

My wife got a coffee maker like this: Click here. (pour over coffee maker). All you need to do is boil water on the "gas" stove top in the camper and pour it over coffee grinds. You can design your own taste by temperature, how fast you pour, and how much coffee you use. Yes, it's not an automated process. But .... if you are looking at a no-electric process, this can't be beat! The anticipation for that first sip of coffee is almost unbearable as you take the time to prepare that first cup in the morning! No electricity required, but self-restraint IS!

And we also have one of these: Click here. It can be used on a stove top, gas or electric, or even over an open fire pit. The only problem with this type is, controlling the flavor, letting it brew long long enough it makes great coffee, yet not too long it turns into Turkish Coffee!

We have both of these. When we have electricity, we use an old fashioned electric percolator. Krueg and drip makers just don't do coffee any justice!
Old 08-13-2023, 07:40 AM   #22
DrSmart1

Another vote for Aeropress. I got the XL a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy the coffee. It will be with us while camping.

https://aeropress.com/

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:59 AM   #23
ObiRich

We have a bigger inverter (3000w) but we use a Keurig K-Express. It's an instant on (starts dumping coffee in about 5 seconds), and the wattage on it is 1000 watts.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #24
Searcher

I use a 10 cup percolator, however I take bunch of 6-12 cup paper filters, punch a hole in the center just smaller that the tube in the coffee basket and push one into the basket. Then fill with coffee and it’s good to go. It keeps almost all the grounds in the basket.
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:02 AM   #25
RobWinkler

There are a lot of cheaper options but I like using a solar generator. There are various models but some can put out all the power you need for a cup of coffee and it can be solar charged. Ecoflow is the brand I like most.
RobWinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #26
Renosharo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
I'm curious what people use for coffee when dry camping?

We are off grid but have a good solar, battery set up with 1500W inverter.

So far we have used an old percolator that we heat up on the stove. It's rated for 6 cups but find 4 cups is more practical or we get grinds in the coffee.

We have also used instant coffee after boiling water on the stove.

My wife wanted to try a mini kuerig but it says it's 1450 watts which would be too much for my inverter. I don't want to start my generator at 7am.

What other options is there? Maybe a newer percolator would work better? My wife and I have 2 cups each in the mornings that's it.
I keep a French press coffee maker in our camper. Only need to boil water to have a lovely cuppa!
Renosharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:45 PM   #27
snelson600

This is a great option we used when we tent camped, pop-uped, and then to our 5th wheel. Bellman Stovetop Steamer. Great machine! EXTREMELY well made, alt least they were when we bought our in the mid-late 90's. Still works great. Can use it to make espresso or latte too! Over $100, but you can buy them used Craigslist, Ebay, local Facebook marketplace..
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/b...pe%20-%20parts
snelson600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #28
coop341

If you are Keurig person like I am, we use this and tea pot to boil water.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02835-...1987527&sr=8-7
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:04 AM   #29
Rich195

We use a Stanley French press, link below. We use same thing on a sterno burner if no propane is available. We have put the coffee in a coffee bag in the press to simplify cleanup. Works great for us

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Insul...Y2hfYXRm&psc=1
Rich195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #30
Mikelff

Good ole 10 cup perkalator. Use “star” coffee filters in the basket. Trick is making sure when you fold in the corners of the filter over the grounds, onto the stem, you don’t leave any spaces for the grounds to get into your coffee. One way to do this is to get the filter wet on top and press all the folds down onto the grounds. This tends to keep the filter in place and helps seal in the grounds. I very rarely have grounds in my coffee. My opinion is a perkalator makes the best coffee. Mine will put hair on your chest. You can easily determine the strength you want.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:18 AM   #31
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
I'm curious what people use for coffee when dry camping?

We are off grid but have a good solar, battery set up with 1500W inverter.

So far we have used an old percolator that we heat up on the stove. It's rated for 6 cups but find 4 cups is more practical or we get grinds in the coffee.

We have also used instant coffee after boiling water on the stove.

My wife wanted to try a mini kuerig but it says it's 1450 watts which would be too much for my inverter. I don't want to start my generator at 7am.

What other options is there? Maybe a newer percolator would work better? My wife and I have 2 cups each in the mornings that's it.
They make drip coffee makers (without the carafe warmer) that use about 700W of power. We have one for our trailer, originally we actually had to run the generator just to power that but now the solar/inverter easily power it and the only time we run the generator is for AC when we can't hook up.

The key really is just to get a small 4 cup one without the carafe warmer so my wife and I have coffee and if we need more we just make another batch...so it really never "sits" and needs warming up.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #32
Shedboy

I tend to agree with the primitive processes (cowboy coffee) they are reliable, durable and simple (hot water and coffee grounds). However my co-pilot enjoys "civilized" brew that includes coffee flavor additives, "I wish I was creamER" and "I wish I was sugar" whereas the only nocturnal accompaniment that I tolerate resides in a Tennessee Flask.

So to celebrate our diversity, we opted for a rugged poly-carbonate French Press and a low wattage (600-900 Watts) electric kettle, both available on Amazon. The french press(es) are near unbreakable and accommodate any source of hot water. The low wattage boiler is compatible with with alternative energy sources although it takes a little longer to boil the water, there is no savings in total energy consumed. The low wattage is compatible with low output energy sources like batteries, solar panels and wind turbines. Small boilers are available that work on a 12VDC cigarette lighter plug.

To accommodate the sophistication of the French Press, one (DW) needs to consider grinding whole coffee beans. Again, Amazon offers low wattage, small capacity 110 VAC grinders but I have yet to see a grinder that runs on 12 VDC using a cigarette lighter plug or one that uses a USB (5 VDC) plug. Also consider using desiccant pacs in the coffee bean containers to extend the life of the beans.

The big difference between cowboy coffee and elite espresso is the quantity of space taken up by the implements. Also the maintenance of dishware and consumption of water. Consider instant coffee and a cup, enjoy life!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:49 PM   #33
Shedboy

12 VDC cigarette lighter coffee bean grinder on Amazon:

[B]Electric Coffee Grinder, Wireless Powerful Coffee Bean Grinder with USB Rechargeable, Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder for Beans, Spices, Herb and More, Removable Bowl and 304 Stainless Steel Blade
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #34
Stangfire

Thanks everyone! So much good information here.

The past few trips we have been trying "cowboy coffee" (boil water and instant). That is defiantly the easiest.

May try a pour over this weekend.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:14 PM   #35
canthitbombz

Black Rifle instant FTW!!!!

The gring is so fine that it just disapears in the boiling water. and no running to the bathroom after half a cup like Folgers crystals
canthitbombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 06:53 AM   #36
JeLo

we used this instant coffee while hiking, we tried many other brand but the starbucks dark roast is almost the same taste as perc coffee.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/product/23/via
Old 10-30-2023, 04:39 AM   #37
Gamma

I have the Keurig mini, it will draw the 1450 but it does it for a short time (approx 30 seconds each time it’s used) so it’s economical on the batteries. If your inverted will handle it it’s a great option. Buy it somewhere that has an easy return policy, if your inverter won’t handle it, return it.
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote