Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Gkri

Slides in or out when at home

I see many trailers in driveways with the slides out. We keep our in at home. What is the advantage one way or the other?
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Personal preference. My fiver is in the backyard and I will close/open the slides every couple of months.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

I keep mine in for space purposes. I'm not worried about the slide itself because I keep the seals cleaned and conditioned, plus I just installed a topper as added protection, and I have 2 doors available to gain full access with the slide in.
Most RV dealerships leave the slides out all the time, and often with the trailers not stabilized.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Convenience and usability.

If you park your camper at home and store it, never go in it except to pack for the next trip, then slides are in.

If you use your camper at home all the time, in and out of it every day, sleep in it at night, use it for a remote office in the day, keep extra beer in the refrigerator, or just like to go in and watch television for a different atmosphere, then leave them open.

We use our camper 24x7x365, even when home. We sleep in it every night, use it all the time. Verry rare are slides "in".
Old 07-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Our slide is always out unless we are moving the trailer or not using it for an extended period.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #6
spade117

Out most of the time. Since they do overhang the grass where it is parked in the driveway, I do have to put them in when it's time to mow the lawn.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #7
Max23

Mine is always in when home however, we are able to access entire unit with the slide in so getting ready and cleaning up are easy. Don't need it out. Never use it for anything when in the driveway.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #8
Jonahex2099

We keep ours open when at home during the season (for us early april to late september)....we keep it in our main driveway until it's time to put it away and occasionally use it as an escape from our dogs...

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #9
pawpaw

Keep ours in during monsoon season but when we lived in it part time had the one slide we have open.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:45 AM   #10
Hblick48

If your slides are hydraulic the rams can rust when extended for long periods, especially of you are close to the coast. My old Dewald manual suggests you spray the extended ram with silicone to prevent rusting.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #11
bobnelms

Mine are in while at home. Seems to help keep mice out!!!
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #12
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Mine are in while at home. Seems to help keep mice out!!!
Winner winner chicken dinner. When the slide is out on our 2017 21RBS, there is a hole around the shaft next to the left side rail that a NYC rat could crawl through. When the slide is closed there is a metal can that cover the hole. I live in the woods. White footed deer mice in abundance.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #13
Bandit12

Open during the camping season. Makes packing easier. Closed when winterized.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:34 AM   #14
DDuncan51

We purchased our first 5th wheel with a slide in 1997. For the first ten years the slide was left in during storage at about 4200 feet elevation. For the next 7 years, after moving to the country, 5600 feet elevation, we left the slide out when parked most of the time. We had no problems with it.

We bought a new 5th wheel that we currently have in 2014 We've left the slide out when in storage. However, last fall the seal across the top and down the back rotted and fell to pieces. I had to replace it. The front seal (in the shade most of the time, is still like new.

The 5th wheel is always parked (at home) outside in the sun, pointing north.

Could it be that the seal on the old trailer has Ultra-Violet light protection. Regardless of how it happened, we now keep the slide in when in storage.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

A few things to consider with this decision:

1: when the slides are out, UV rays can damage the exterior slide seals (which are inside and protected when the slides are in.

2: when the slides are out, their weight is "extended beyond the frame rails" and are, on some slide designs, supported in that extended position by two "rams" attached to the frame. That puts pressure on the frame, pushing down on the extreme exterior rail while pushing up on the opposite side rail. On all slides, when in the extended position, the "cantilevered extended position" exerts increased weight on the tires on that side of the trailer. On many trailers with "minimal tire size and weight capacity" that extra weight could put the tires at or even over their "maximum weight capacity".

3: when the slides are out, another "set of sidewalls with potentially leaking bottom molding plates" are exposed to rain that can encroach on the slide floor and bottom of the walls.

While there's no "manufacturer recommendation" on short term storage, such as "in the driveway for a week" or such, there is a note in the owner's manual stating: "Slide-out rooms should be stored retracted."

All that said, EVERY owner has a uniquely different perspective on his trailer and a different interpretation of what is convenient, what is a hassle, what he prefers and since it's "his property" the decision is more or less, "up to him"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 04:36 AM   #16
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

I was looking through all your replies to see if anyone left the slides extended part way.
I leave mine out far enough to get around the kitchen sink. I don't use the trailer very much except in and out of it occasionally. I put a 3/4" board under the edge of the slide so it is supported.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:45 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea View Post
I was looking through all your replies to see if anyone left the slides extended part way.
I leave mine out far enough to get around the kitchen sink. I don't use the trailer very much except in and out of it occasionally. I put a 3/4" board under the edge of the slide so it is supported.
The slide "bulb seals" are located on the interior slide flange and on the exterior slide flange. The slide "perimeter seals" are located around the slide. If you store your slide "partially extended" or "partially retracted" then you do not have any "bulb seals" doing their job and your "perimeter seals" may or may not be "flipped to the correct position to protect your trailer from water intrusion. If you store your slide "in the middle" (neither fully extended or fully retracted) you risk storing it with seals not properly positioned. This can lead to "funneling of water directly to the trailer interior"....

If you have SCHWENTEC slides, stopping movement anywhere except "fully closed or fully open" is a major cause of slides getting out of sync (adjustment) and can lead to slide system damage.

I think most people would recommend against "partly open slides for storage".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:38 AM   #18
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The slide "bulb seals" are located on the interior slide flange and on the exterior slide flange. The slide "perimeter seals" are located around the slide. If you store your slide "partially extended" or "partially retracted" then you do not have any "bulb seals" doing their job and your "perimeter seals" may or may not be "flipped to the correct position to protect your trailer from water intrusion. If you store your slide "in the middle" (neither fully extended or fully retracted) you risk storing it with seals not properly positioned. This can lead to "funneling of water directly to the trailer interior"....

If you have SCHWENTEC slides, stopping movement anywhere except "fully closed or fully open" is a major cause of slides getting out of sync (adjustment) and can lead to slide system damage.

I think most people would recommend against "partly open slides for storage".
Thank you all for the replies. I was amazed at the various reasons and preferences. When not in use, our slide is always in. I see so many in driveways with the slides out and had to ask. I always figured if it failed to go out, we could still camp, but if it failed to retract, the trip was spoiled, so in it stays! John's post did remind me to check the perimeter seals once the slide is out to see if they all "flipped" correctly. Thank you all again and happy camping! Just a side note - retirement in 25 days!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:37 AM   #19
Stangfire

I always close mine when not in use. Why have all the weight hanging off and all the seals exposed to UV sun rays. Plus more opportunity to leak.

I shake my head when I see people store them for months with the slide open.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide