Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
bennettommyd

Greasing Bearings

Couldn't find any threads for greasing the wheel bearings. I know about the wet bolts, but I have read in other forums different advice for greasing the wheel bearings. Some say pump till grease comes out the weep hole and some say just 4 or 5 pumps only. What's the correct way? Don't want to blow out a seal in the back.
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I may take some heat for this one but the correct way is to pull the hub and hand pack the bearings while inspecting the brake components. If you are going to use the ez-lube just a few pumps should be good providing the bearings were properly greased to begin with ..... This we have no way of knowing without pulling the hub so it's kind of "Catch 22". Also there is no replacement for physical inspection of bearing and races and seals. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I may take some heat for this one but the correct way is to pull the hub and hand pack the bearings while inspecting the brake components. If you are going to use the ez-lube just a few pumps should be good providing the bearings were properly greased to begin with ..... This we have no way of knowing without pulling the hub so it's kind of "Catch 22". Also there is no replacement for physical inspection of bearing and races and seals. JM2¢, Hank
X2....
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Mighty Ming

Quote:
X-3...... Hank why would you say that you may take some heat for this one? My understanding that is the proper way!! My unit has the bearing buddy type however I put custom wheels on and the center cap covers the zerk fitting rendering it useless unless I remove the wheel. No problem cuz I don't rely on it to grease my bearings properly ... Keyword ' properly'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
No heat from here, either. I want to see those bearings at least once a year.

For the OP, the issue with just pumping grease in via the zerk fitting is that you don't know where it's going. There is at least one other thread here about this problem where one of our members ended up with grease all over the inside of the brakes. Once the grease got on the shoes, the brake was effectively useless and a possible fire hazard to boot.

So an added benefit to hand packing the bearings yearly (or more for high mileage RV'ers) is that you get to look over the brakes up close and personal. I always take that opportunity to lube the points in the brake area that should be lubed, too. Once everything is buttoned back up, while the thing is still on the jack, it's a perfect time to adjust up the brakes.

There's a "but" to all this, however. If you have E-Z Lube or similar axles, double check the maintenance manual for them to make sure there is not a need to pump some grease in via the zerks. The manufacturer's recommendations should be considered, too.

So the final point here is that each of us should have, read, and understand the complete maintenance manual for our axle/brake systems. Dexter's is readily available at http://www.dexteraxle.com/literature1 - on the right hand side of the page, pick the second group Service Manuals, and the select the drop down for 600-8K capacities. The complete manual is first choice in the list. (I don't believe any of us have the larger capacity axles, but if you do, there's a choice for that, too.) Al-Ko's is available on their website, too.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

ok light the heater!! not for the post it's frickin cold out in the shop. i am with hank and steve. nothing beats a good eyeball inspection of the bearings, brakes, hardware and magnets. plus with a little effort you can drag the job out and the dw will think your working hard and bring you refreshments ps bang on the fame with a hammer and yell, that works too
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
ok light the heater!! not for the post it's frickin cold out in the shop. i am with hank and steve. nothing beats a good eyeball inspection of the bearings, brakes, hardware and magnets. plus with a little effort you can drag the job out and the dw will think your working hard and bring you refreshments ps bang on the fame with a hammer and yell, that works too
If that's the case, this could take a couple of weekends. And perhaps another day to torque the wheels!!! ( Nice thought but after 42 years I don't think the DW will fall for that one.)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

OH GOOD I GOT 21 MORE YEARS TO KEEP PULLING THIS OFF!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Jay D

X2 SAABDOCTOR, rub some grease on face as well
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
zuley

And also make sure when greasing the bearings, whether by hand or by pumping grease into the EZ lube, you are using bearing grease rather than chasis grease. Chasis grease breaks down at a much lower temperature.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
And also make sure when greasing the bearings, whether by hand or by pumping grease into the EZ lube, you are using bearing grease rather than chasis grease. Chasis grease breaks down at a much lower temperature.
The Dexter website offers a list of recommended hi-temp greases for this application.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
jsmith948

My son lost a wheel bearing on his new TT 900 miles into a trip. He had, understandably, relied on the factory and his dealer's prep. The bearing that failed had been under greased. (He and I had discussed whether or not it was a good idea to add a little grease via the E-Z lube)
Based on his experience, my distrust of this E-Z lube feature, and having some time on my hands while recovering from hip surgery, I pulled the bearings apart on our 5er. With only 3500 miles on the rig, I found an ABUNDANCE of grease. The grease had been forced through the seal on two of the hubs. Luckily, the brakes had not been contaminated. Several hours and four cans of Brake-Clean and our 5er is good to go. New seals, new grease and I know they were packed correctly - piece of mind - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
bennettommyd

Thanks for all the input. Looks like a next spring chore since my "shop" is the street in front of the house. I'll crawl under and look at everything, greasing all the wet bolts anyway.
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote