Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
AnnaK

2013 Passport 2300BH walk-through

We spent several hours this past Saturday doing a closer look walk-through of the trailer we're considering. The floor plan is perfect for us and the are many, many features about the trailer in general that we really like. The holding tank valves are readily accessible to the right of the slideout, no crawling under the trailer required. There's a great deal of storage space both inside and out.

There are, however, some oddities as well.

* New to us is that the battery is mounted on the tongue and does not seem to come with a lockable box. Is that common to Passports? How do you protect it from road dirt and theft? It sits behind the propane tanks.

* The kitchen stove exhaust fan is not vented to the outside which means that grease and cooking odors are blown back into the unit. Yes, there's a filter pad and it will trap some of that. We're checking into how much it will cost to retro fit an exterior vent.

* There is a good 2" gap at the top of the bathroom door, apparently to allow it to clear the ceiling mounted light fixture in front of it. Even with a vent in the bathroom I can foresee odors traveling into the living area.

* When the bathroom door is opened the door knob smacks into the refrigerator door. At the very least there should be a rubber cover over that door knob, or a door stop mounted at the top refrigerator molding.

* The trailer comes with a gas grill which is mounted in the back of the trailer above the bumper when in use. I can see some potential drawbacks with this:
- lack of space in a small campsite
- a really wet cook if it's raining that day
We didn't open the carton with the grill and don't know whether they supply a long section of hose so the grill could be placed on a table under the awning during inclement weather.

* There are two drawers installed in the cabinet next to the sink. Because of the space taken up by the sink those drawers are way low, near the floor. While it's great to have them, they're not easily accessible, especially if they hold cooking utensils. Moreover, they cannot be opened at all when the slideout is in.

* There's lots and lots of excellent storage everywhere. Loved the space under the seats of the U-shaped dinette! I'm really going to have to work very hard at not overloading the trailer. What was disappointing is that the openings of the exterior storage compartments aren't large enough to slide in a cooler or the generator. We can probably get the genny in if we lay it on its side when loading but finding space for the cooler will be a problem.

* There is no rear-mounted ladder to get up on the roof.

We are now checking into the costs of installing a 3-speed reversible FantasticFan in place of the little fan in the kitchen area and a Maxxair cover for it, a Maxxair cover on the bathroom fan, and venting the kitchen stove to the outside. That would make it pretty much perfect.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
x96mnn

ON the BBQ I think you will find the hose just long enough to reach the connector on the current set up. You can buy more hose though and move it to where you want and would recommend going to a propane supply store and have them make you one. The ones at the trailer places cost 5X what the propane store will charge was my experience.

U just bought a camper with no ladder on the back and wish it had. Care and caution with the ladder works though and it was mixed reviews on adding a ladder after the fact with increased leak risk then factory. I can't state if this is true but I know I got my truck undecorated by somone other then the dealer and it seems everything that has gone wrong with truck the dealer makes a statement it could have been caused by it LOL. So I can only imagine having a leak and there being non factory holes drilled in the roof.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
AnnaK

Thank you for the tip of having a longer hose made by a propane dealer. I hadn't thought of that and it makes great sense.

Been doing some reading and we've decided to skip the ladder mounted to the rear of the trailer. We'll use the ladders we have at the house.

The dealer is now making the various modifications we decided on. PDI is scheduled for November 10, o yay!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
rrohrer

Our passort battery is behind propane in box. Not sure if lockable. I guess I never got too worried about theft. But I suppose if some A-hole wanted it they could get it. The bathroom door has opening at top and bottom. My previous camper did too. I think it's cause of moisture that would get in small bathroom after shower. We never had issues with odors. Use the fan. You would think odor could be problem, but never was for us. And we use the bathroom hard! Thos attatched ladders aren't all that. people that have them don't even like them. Not sturdy. Get a small telescoping ladder. You'll be better off. You may be able to move grill around, but the grills that come with campers are just junk IMHO. get yourself a portable coleman or weber and you'll be better off.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
AnnaK

I appreciate your comments, thank you.

We did learn that the gap on the door is there on purpose. People call it a 'transom' and you're right, it's to facilitate air circulation to keep the bathroom from getting too damp.

We do have a Coleman gas grill and if the one that comes with the trailer doesn't work out as well as our Coleman campstove/grill combo we'll leave it at home.

Getting ready for the bad storm that might or might not happen here on the East Coast.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
ljp

Best of luck in the storm if it gets to you.....
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
AnnaK

Looks like we dodged that winter storm they had predicted. We had some flurries and wind but nothing severe. No snow on the ground, hoping it'll stay that way until we get the trailer back and parked tomorrow.