Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
New Kid on the Block

Question My trailer got broken into

Hi folks here to bug you again.
My trailer got broken into while at a brake shop.They broke the sliding window
behind the couch.The damage is not that extensive but it is a pain in the rear end.Also some damage was done on the shower door and frame.I know that the work on the shower must be done by an rv shop,but I have hard time
to find a glass company to replace the broken glass.It seems that nobody wants to do this kind of glass.Is the glass a dealer only item or glass companies don't like this kind of work?
Thanks,Bill
New Kid on the Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I just replaced a broken sliding window in our Cougar. The RV dealerships in this area do not stock RV windows as there are too many sizes and shapes for them to keep a proper inventory. Instead, I was told to go to a local glass shop that does most of the RV window work. I had to have one pane of double pane glass replaced and it took about 10 days to get it ordered and back to the shop. They put the pane in the window and I put the window in the RV myself. It's quite a simple job.
Going this route I found, was much cheaper than having the RV dealership order a new window --- very expensive!
I'd take your shower door (if it is broken) into a glass/window shop and get them to do it for you.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
New Kid on the Block

Thank you Festus2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I just replaced a broken sliding window in our Cougar. The RV dealerships in this area do not stock RV windows as there are too many sizes and shapes for them to keep a proper inventory. Instead, I was told to go to a local glass shop that does most of the RV window work. I had to have one pane of double pane glass replaced and it took about 10 days to get it ordered and back to the shop. They put the pane in the window and I put the window in the RV myself. It's quite a simple job.
Going this route I found, was much cheaper than having the RV dealership order a new window --- very expensive!
I'd take your shower door (if it is broken) into a glass/window shop and get them to do it for you.
Well coulpe of glass places told me to take measurments and give them so they can order the glass,but the glass is curved and if the measurments are
not exact i will be eating the glass for lunch.I could make a temple and take it
to the shop but i do not see too much play to put the glass in the track.Also
the window screen is destoyed by the scums that broke into the trailer.The frame of the screen is bended and does not look like i can straight it back to
slide back and forth.Is the screen a dealer item?
The glass in the shower is ok but the frame is wably and the seal on top of the door does not close right on the top.
Maybe i cannot avoid the dealer after all.
Bill
New Kid on the Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Roberson4

I had an emergency exit window glass broken while mowing. I thought about a glass company, but ended up just ordering a new window from the dealer. It cost $200, but it is an exact fit and looks just like the other one (except not shattered). I have had glass companies replace just the glass in storm doors and such. It has never been exactly like the original.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Myabe the dealer can just recommend a glass shop that will work on RV's.

Remove the window and take it to the glass shop. Let them deal with the measurements.

They have to install the new glass so they will need it anyway.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I took the entire window frame into the glass shop and they made the template. As Steve pointed out, the shop has to have the entire frame when they replace the pane. The frame has to be taken apart so that the new glass can be inserted into it.

The replacement glass was actually a better quality than the original - heavier and a bit thicker thermopane.

Most glass places will also install screening as well and should also do the repairs required for your shower door.

Perhaps your home or RV insurance will cover the costs but having to pay a deductible may not be worth filing a claim.

Our window breakage was caused by -- um, shall we say- "human error".
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Philip Saran

On the window screen, any normal ACE Hardware or similar store
that does rescreening can make you a new window screen, just
take the bent one into them so them have a templete.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote