Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Jack

Sliders Stop & Go?

Our 5-year-old, but new to us, Montana 34RL takes five or six presses of the button with a 10 second "rest" between each press, to get the four slides out or in. Is that normal? Do the rails need grease? I sprayed WD-40 where I could reach and it seems a little better.
It's really not a problem as long as they keep working. "Slow" is okay, "stop" is not.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Jim W

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Are your slides powered by hydraulic motors or electrical motors?
Where you instructed to plug into shore power first before operating your slides on the 5er and or stay plugged into the truck with the electrical cord from the trailer with the truck running.

The slide motors require a large amount of amperage to operate and the coach battery does not have enough amps in it to provide a smooth operation of the slides.

Now if the motors are hydraulic there could be air in the system or the motors are leaking and not building up enough pressure to move the slides correctly. These are just some of the issues that could be happening to your slides.

I have attached two pdf booklets from Lippert on slide and how they work and maintenance.

http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...ideout-web.pdf
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...l-wall-web.pdf

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Jack

Hydraulic and connected to shore power.
Thanks, I'll checkout the sites you recommended.

Jack
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
wmcclay

I would check the circuit breaker for the slide motor, sounds like it is overheating and reseting. In the montana forum this has been covered well
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Jack

Slide problem

Thanks Jim,
It looks like it may have just been air in the system. After moving the sliders in and out several times it only overloads once to get all four sliders in or out.

The manual you sent had the answer as follows:

"Note: System is self-purging. By simply cycling the system 2-3 times, any air in the system will be forced back to the reservoir and out of the Breather/Fill cap."

Your help is very much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
chivas

I have a 2012 Alpine that does this even with the landing gear. If I am on battery power (2 batteries) it does it about 10 times putting the slides in. If I am on 30amp it only does it 1 or 2 times. If I am on 50amp it does not happen.

????????????????????????????
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
billstuart

The electric side of the system is 12 volt. So, unless they are the sealed, maintenance-free or AGM type, I would check the water level in your batteries first and add distilled water as needed before you get too high tech about it. If you remember to start with the basics, sometimes you get lucky and it's just.....basic.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Dwight&Mary

Our 2011 Montana 3665RE did the same thing. I talked to the service tech at the dealer, and he said the thermal circuit breaker was not large enough from the factory. The thermal breaker was getting hot and kicking out. As it cooled, it would kick back in and work for a few seconds and then kick out again. The tech said to bring it by, and it would be an easy fix as they would install a larger breaker.

I had that done and have no more problems; works fine on batteries or 30/50 amp circuits.
2011 F350 6.7 Dually
Dwight&Mary is offline   Reply With Quote