Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
game warden

Dual cam questions

I just installed my dual cam last week and getting ready to head out today for the first camp weekend this year.My question is this i am towing a 303tg with a 2012 dodge 3500 srw any idea how many links i should start with on the cams?? i am trying (counting from the end) hooking on the 6th link and hanging 5. seem level but it was really easy to hook them up with out alot of rasing the toung to high. My old round bar was very hard to hook even raising the nose of the trailer up as igh as i could get it. Maybe it is the difference between the two hitches? just looking for some ideas. Oh the hitch i have installed is the trunion bar and the one i had first was the round bar.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

Warden every install is different, but we have similar setups. 2006 Dodge 3500 SRW w/4.5" lift and 291TG. I have the round bar 1200/12000 dual cam. I dont remember how many links there are but I leave 2 hanging, I remember it as 3rd to last. Mine goes on pretty easy with the help of "the pipe". I dont even raise the tongue. When I installed it for the first time and took all those measurements, that was about perfect for the TT and TV.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
allentx1

I agree with SlimShadie. Really depends on your specific set up. On my old dual cam, I often had to use the tongue jack to lift slightly to get the chains on. You could always measure the height of the truck unloaded then experiment with the right link that gets you close to that mark (assuming the trailer is level too).

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Bob Landry

It sounds like you are guessing at your WD setup. You use the number of links needed to get the bars positioned like the instructions say to do. 5 links is a good place to start, but that does not mean it's right at that point. And that's 5 links from the attachment link, not the end one. Round bars should be parallel to the tongue, trunnion bars point down a little. This does not have anything to do with the dual cam setup. This is basic WD setup. Then tilt the hitch head to get the right amount of weight transfered back to the front axle. If you are unsure how to do it, there is a sticky in the towing forum at RV.NET that should be required reading for anyone who is going to tow a conventional tow trailer.
Once that is correct, then adjust the dual cam as per the instructions.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
If you are unsure how to do it, there is a sticky in the towing forum at RV.NET that should be required reading for anyone who is going to tow a conventional tow trailer.
Amen to that.

One of the contributors to that sticky and several others is a user named JBarca. He is a good friend from our days on the Sunline forum. John's RV expertise is legend and his advise should be considered gospel. IMHO you don't find better information than what John offers up.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote