Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
wick1027

Surge protection

I keep reading about surge protection, does anyone use them?, are they worth the money? Please give me some thoughts.
wick1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
jbsmith

I consider them relatively cheap insurance against surge, over, and under voltage along with checking for dangerous conditions associated with a mis-wired power pedestal. Most also include a 2+ minute timer to protect the AC compressor. I've been very happy with my TRC, but others have also report good experiences with Progressive Industries.

Here's a link to TRC where you can find more information about their different units. http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard

More info on Progressive industries can be found on their site.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

The plug in models are very convenient and just plug between the RV and power pedestal. I prefer the hard wired units since they're less likely to be stolen. However, unless you're comfortable with electrical wiring, you'll need to have them installed by your RV dealer or an electrician. There are some posts with photos of recent installs, including my own 50 amp unit in our fifth-wheel.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5675

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Tim&Patty

Surge protection

Wick1027,
I installed the in-line Progressive model, not difficult plus secure. I have enough bike locks and paddlocks to keep honest people honest, just didn't want mess with another plus the digital remote panel is cool. We've camped thru brown-outs and some really bad power posts, cheap insurance IMHO.

Safe Camping

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
MIKEPATC

I have to say to Progressive Industries EMS. Outstanding protection and easy to wire up.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Yes

I had an issue on my last trip and at the location you would LEAST expect something to happen. None of the cheap, ugly stop overs had any issue coming or going. Mine happened at a resort which is filled with high end motor homes, etc. Our 2011, 36ft 5er, Outback, triple slide was in the 10% of the least expensive units there. BUT, we had an open neutral, bad post wire. They stepped up and replaced our micro, BUT, could have been a disaster. I later had a burned H/W lead wire and they did not cover that because it happened a week after the fix.

I will definitely put a protection in before our next venture IF we keep this unit. I missed our toys, so I am considering a hauler or a motorhome with bunk beds.

Whatever it is, this or that, I WILL put in a surge protector for PEACE OF MIND.

7,000 miles and NEVER had an issue I would contribute to Keystone. Solid unit for the money.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Haven't used one yet in over 100,000 miles. No plans to get one.

BUT

We do carry, and use at about 20% of the places we visit, an autoformer to correct for low voltage found in many campgrounds.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
djkrs2

So any suggestions on how to keep the portable ones out of sticky fingers? I bought one on the advice of the RV dealer but haven't actually camped yet so I haven't used it. I was wondering though what other people did to keep it safe.

Thanks in advance.
djkrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
MIKEPATC

When I had a portable one (before my Progressive Industries EMS) I used The lock like the one in the link to Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

djkrs2 -
I have a portable protector and made myself a cable-type lock which will prevent anyone from walking away with it. For the cable, I used a section of bicycle gear cable. This worked very well as it is plastic coated and flexible. I wrapped one end of it around the surge protector cable and formed a loop which will not slide over either end where the plugs are located. I used aluminum crimp-ons to complete the loop.
At the other end of the wire cable, I made another loop so that I could use a lock and secure it to the campground power pedestal. I just wrap the looped end around the pedestal and lock it in place.
Before I cut the cable to length, I tried out a "dummy" cable to see what the best length would be.
If someone had a pair of cutters or whatever, they could cut the cable and take the protector but this setup should discourage the "grab and run" thief.
Sorry, I haven't got a picture but if you want one, I could take a photo and send it to you. Send me a PM if you want me to do this.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
djkrs2

Thanks for the suggestions.
djkrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
djkrs2 -
I ...made myself a cable-type lock which will prevent anyone from walking away with it.
This is going to be about the only way your'e going to really secure the pedestal mounted units unless you can find/make a steel box. I bought the TRC lock housing, but it's just a black plastic box. One good kick and it's gone. I don't even think it would deter the honest thieves. Recently, I've been concerned with copper thieves stealing the 50 amp shore power cord on my trailer.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
f6bits

I use a motorcycle lock so I can loop my main power cord up to the suppressor, then lock the two cables together.
http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-MAX40BK.../dp/B000GU1ZFS

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

I realize that if someone really wants it, they'll take it. All this does as I mentioned before is to prevent someone from simply unplugging it and walking away. It isn't perfect by any means but may discourage someone who is just walking by to steal it.