Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #1
Jmahaney90

Tub drain

I have a 2018 hideout 26’ camper and when I went to winterize it I noticed that the tub was not draining. We have only used the tub/ shower once and cannot figure out why it is not draining. Both the grey and black tanks are empty. Any assistance is appreciated.
Jmahaney90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I don't know when RV manufacturers started using Hepvo Waterless Drain Valves (click here) instead of P-traps, but it's possible your has the Hepvo Valve and not a P-trap.

Here's another link to the same web-site that shows a cut away image of what's going on inside these valves: Click here.

It's possible, if the drain has not been used for years, it's simply stuck shut. That rubber flapper thing has probably glued itself shut.

You did not say if your camper was previously owned and this is the first time YOU are trying to use it, or if you are the original owner and never used it.

If yours was previously owned, it's possible that rubber thing inside is gummed up with soap and gunk, hair and who knows what else. In other words, it's clogged.

NOW! If yours has an old fashioned P-trap, it's possible the P-trap is simply clogged too. Gunk got into the P-trap and then the water evaporated out of it, leaving a solid blockage now.

Cleaning the P-trap is very easy, but you have to reach it to disconnect it.

Either way, Hepvo Valve or P-trap, you'll need to access under the tub to see what's there, and replace or clean it out.

But, if you are absolutely NOT using the tub, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Simply dry out the bottom of the tub and call it a day.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:05 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't know when RV manufacturers started using Hepvo Waterless Drain Valves (click here) instead of P-traps, but it's possible your has the Hepvo Valve and not a P-trap.

Here's another link to the same web-site that shows a cut away image of what's going on inside these valves: Click here.

It's possible, if the drain has not been used for years, it's simply stuck shut. That rubber flapper thing has probably glued itself shut.

You did not say if your camper was previously owned and this is the first time YOU are trying to use it, or if you are the original owner and never used it.

If yours was previously owned, it's possible that rubber thing inside is gummed up with soap and gunk, hair and who knows what else. In other words, it's clogged.

NOW! If yours has an old fashioned P-trap, it's possible the P-trap is simply clogged too. Gunk got into the P-trap and then the water evaporated out of it, leaving a solid blockage now.

Cleaning the P-trap is very easy, but you have to reach it to disconnect it.

Either way, Hepvo Valve or P-trap, you'll need to access under the tub to see what's there, and replace or clean it out.

But, if you are absolutely NOT using the tub, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Simply dry out the bottom of the tub and call it a day.
Never heard of a Hepvo valve but it looks like it is as brilliant a piece of technology as the InCommand gizmo. Why is it needed when a P trap which has been around for a bit is a simpler and less failure prone solution in a camper where the valve or P trap is not likely easy to get to?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Jmahaney90

Thank you I will check this out.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
travelin texans

I'd guess you have a 2nd grey drain valve hidden underneath somewhere that's for the bath grey tank, this is typically the case with a new or new to you rv which POs or salespeople fail to mention.
I'd search underneath 1st before adding drain cleaners, which I wouldn't recommend, or ruining the Hepvo fitting shoving something into it.
The Hepvo fitting has been around for quite a while used in rvs & modular homes where there's little to no space for a conventional P trap & is no where as big a POS as the In-Command system. Although if you haven't used the tub some knucklehead at the factory could've installed it backwards.
My modular home has one in the 1/2 bath & my last 5er had one on the lavatory & shower, have never had issues with any of them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
Jmahaney90

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd guess you have a 2nd grey drain valve hidden underneath somewhere that's for the bath grey tank, this is typically the case with a new or new to you rv which POs or salespeople fail to mention.
I'd search underneath 1st before adding drain cleaners, which I wouldn't recommend, or ruining the Hepvo fitting shoving something into it.
The Hepvo fitting has been around for quite a while used in rvs & modular homes where there's little to no space for a conventional P trap & is no where as big a POS as the In-Command system. Although if you haven't used the tub some knucklehead at the factory could've installed it backwards.
My modular home has one in the 1/2 bath & my last 5er had one on the lavatory & shower, have never had issues with any of them.

Thank you I’ll take a look. The only thing I have tried at this point is a flimsy plastic drain snake which didn’t seem to hit anything and a little dawn dish liquid and hot water but ended up bailing the tub out because it did help
Old 11-08-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmahaney90 View Post
Thank you I’ll take a look. The only thing I have tried at this point is a flimsy plastic drain snake which didn’t seem to hit anything and a little dawn dish liquid and hot water but ended up bailing the tub out because it did help

Don't use a snake you'll puncture the rubber check valve. Ours did the same thing. I was told that they may clog with construction debris when installed dry. Once they get wet they usually clear themselves. I used my foot as a plunger and over time it cleared out. It takes the place of a p-trap. Some people remove it and install a p-trap.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmahaney90 View Post
Look closely between the frame & the J wrap trim possibly very near the front or just behind the tires. The handle may have fallen off with only the rod sticking out or may just be a hole in the covering where the rod & handle fell off.
But if I were to bet on it I'd have to bet you'll find another valve somewhere to drain that tank, they have a habit of placing those in very unhandy locations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain