Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Brent I have not. Most everything in the valley is barren looking. The Rio Grande runs through there and it basically sits in a wide, fairly flat valley. From there you can run up into the mountains which, while beautiful, are not conducive to having large RV parks...at all. The "barren" is in the valley which is about the only place that would allow any kind of RV parking situation - the mountains there are just too steep....and majestic.

If you want to be in the trees I would back up and go back toward South Fork (toward Pagosa) or Sportsman's. There is one right outside Pagosa toward SF (Riverside??) that you might stay at but most RV places have a location that has enough space to put a bunch of RVs and get kinda flat. Those coming into South Fork (some) offer a more trees and sit by the river. You might check out Park Creek.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brent I have not. Most everything in the valley is barren looking. The Rio Grande runs through there and it basically sits in a wide, fairly flat valley. From there you can run up into the mountains which, while beautiful, are not conducive to having large RV parks...at all. The "barren" is in the valley which is about the only place that would allow any kind of RV parking situation - the mountains there are just too steep....and majestic.

If you want to be in the trees I would back up and go back toward South Fork (toward Pagosa) or Sportsman's. There is one right outside Pagosa toward SF (Riverside??) that you might stay at but most RV places have a location that has enough space to put a bunch of RVs and get kinda flat. Those coming into South Fork (some) offer a more trees and sit by the river. You might check out Park Creek.
Thanks! We have stayed at Riverside if it’s the one next to 160.
I’m going to look around South Fork and call Sportsman’s.
Apparently I have been spoiled by all the COE campgrounds we have been staying at.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #23
P & T

If you do make it up to South Dakota, in Sturgis, I recommend Vanocker Campground. I know the guy who runs it and all of the spots are on the lawn (no dust and far from freeway noise).

The campground is nestled up the the Black Hills. It's off 90 with plenty of room to stretch out with easy access in and out.

From there, you are 5 min from downtown Sturgis, 20 min from Deadwood, 30 min from Rapid City and about an hour from Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse.

The hwy from Crazy Horse through the Black Hills drops you right into Deadwood passing Lakes and watering holes. Beautiful country up there.

If you go there before or after Rally, it won't be cluttered. Just don't go the first two weeks of August unless you want to be at the Rally and with about 500,000 other people in the area.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:27 AM   #24
notanlines

We second Peter's idea of Vanocker Campground. It has been our 'go to' campground at Sturgis a number of times. Plenty of space, coffee is good, and a very laid-back, conservative campground. And VERY easy access off the interstate.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:34 AM   #25
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Dang that’s a hunting camp. Talk about out there. I’ve been in the general area from the south. Rode up with a packer to Popes Nose. Rode back down to the trailhead in the dark. Never so saddle sore in my life.
There are a few elk in the area. Never had the chance to pack in with a guide but there are several guides in the area who have been very productive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	41396  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
There are a few elk in the area. Never had the chance to pack in with a guide but there are several guides in the area who have been very productive.
That’s a good looking elk. All of my hunting was around Williams Creek Reservoir, Buckles Lake, and down around Truillo Meadows.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We second Peter's idea of Vanocker Campground. It has been our 'go to' campground at Sturgis a number of times. Plenty of space, coffee is good, and a very laid-back, conservative campground. And VERY easy access off the interstate.
Jim, you been trading trailers? I haven’t noticed the Jayco in your sig before.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #28
notanlines

Yes, we sold the Salem and bought this Eagle that we will be swapping out Wednesday. Elderly couple bought it eighteen months ago and regretfully he died a couple months ago. Price was just way better than we could pass up.
I just bought a new electric front jack, an updated more powerful ventahood motor/fan assembly, remote control MaxxFan for the bathroom, and a new TV antenna. Money originally well spent, but in hindsight...? I hope the new owners enjoy all my efforts.
Brenda's knee problems have continued to put a wet blanket on our big trip traveling plans so this just seemed to be a better idea.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #29
P & T

Quote:
Yes, we sold the Salem and bought this Eagle that we will be swapping out Wednesday. Elderly couple bought it eighteen months ago and regretfully he died a couple months ago. Price was just way better than we could pass up.
I just bought a new electric front jack, an updated more powerful ventahood motor/fan assembly, remote control MaxxFan for the bathroom, and a new TV antenna. Money originally well spent, but in hindsight...? I hope the new owners enjoy all my efforts.
Brenda's knee problems have continued to put a wet blanket on our big trip traveling plans so this just seemed to be a better idea.
What is the difference you get with the Jayco vs the Salem? Why a better idea if you don't mind me asking?

I'm always considering compromises with DW's ailments so 🤔
Old 08-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #30
notanlines

The Salem is a 26' single slide trailer that was built to attract a young family with maybe 12 kids or so. Slight exaggeration, but it has three bunks in the corner and a fold down couch, plus a queen bed. Slightly above entrance level, but not much.
The Jayco Eagle is a 'best of class' for Jayco trailer, 40' long with three slides. It is intended more as a destination RV without actually giving up a decent suspension and being 'road-worthy.'
If you google the Jayco Eagle and click on a video you will be able to tell it is very nice for the money. A little long for travel across the country and stopping at unknown RV parks, but very comfortable for a semi-permanent spot.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #31
gearhead

Quote:
Yeah that’s usually what I do do, spend money on it then sell it
I’m familiar with knee problems. Docs say Betty needs two new ones. She says, not yet.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #32
P & T

Quote:
The Salem is a 26' single slide trailer that was built to attract a young family with maybe 12 kids or so. Slight exaggeration, but it has three bunks in the corner and a fold down couch, plus a queen bed. Slightly above entrance level, but not much.
The Jayco Eagle is a 'best of class' for Jayco trailer, 40' long with three slides. It is intended more as a destination RV without actually giving up a decent suspension and being 'road-worthy.'
If you google the Jayco Eagle and click on a video you will be able to tell it is very nice for the money. A little long for travel across the country and stopping at unknown RV parks, but very comfortable for a semi-permanent spot.
I just watched a few videos and very nice trailer...now we get to hear about all of your upgrades? Sounds like there is inverter prep unless you already have it? Or not going to use it? Either way, congrats!
Old 08-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah that’s usually what I do do, spend money on it then sell it
I’m familiar with knee problems. Docs say Betty needs two new ones. She says, not yet.

Brent don't know Betty's age but I will tell you that the sooner the better. There is a line between too soon, too late and waiting until you are too old. I've had 7 of them on both knees. At 52 I woke up like nothing happened and was flipping the walker, at 70 that doesn't happen. Keep that in mind. I've seen old folks in recovery (for weeks) still refusing to do PT and crying out when they had to move. Think it over.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:15 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Off topic but my DW needs both knees replaced also. She gets injections every 6 months that add lubricant in the joint which has worked well for her for the last 6 years. I think knee recovery is like any surgery, there's too many variables to make side by side comparisons. I've had one knee operated on twice ba k in the late 1980's. First time the nurses were telling me how 2 tweeks later they were snow skiing. I was in PT for months and in tears driving for a year. Second time I prepared for the worst and 3 days later was walking the boardwalk in OCMD with little pain. Same doctor, hospital and knee.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #35
gearhead

Procrastinating is what Betty does best. She tripped over a door threshold a few weeks ago because she doesn’t lift her feet high enough, I assume because of her knees. She had to use a walker for a couple weeks.
I can’t tell her anything.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:07 PM   #36
gearhead

I called Sportsmans today. Reserved a 50 amp site, #25, for 3 weeks. Late June to mid July. Thats all they had. They will try to find an opening if someone cancels. If that doesn't work, we will find somewhere else for a few weeks.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:14 PM   #37
gearhead

Well I just thought I had a reservation. When making the reservation I called all the info back to "Chris". 50 amp site, #25. Yes, and you will receive a confirming email. So as of this morning I hadn't received the email. Further conversation with someone who was not "Chris" says that I have site #24 and that it's a 30 amp. I had a choice of cancelling or keep the site.
I cancelled.
I'll call them back and get on a waiting list for a 50amp.
Yeah I know, might not need to run but one A/C but then again...
Old 08-31-2022, 03:07 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well I just thought I had a reservation. When making the reservation I called all the info back to "Chris". 50 amp site, #25. Yes, and you will receive a confirming email. So as of this morning I hadn't received the email. Further conversation with someone who was not "Chris" says that I have site #24 and that it's a 30 amp. I had a choice of cancelling or keep the site.
I cancelled.
I'll call them back and get on a waiting list for a 50amp.
Yeah I know, might not need to run but one A/C but then again...

Sorry to hear that. I was in Ruidoso yesterday and stopped at a couple of places - packed. Spoke with the owner of the Twin Pines/Spruce? park at length (he's from FL) and they are the same way as you are experiencing. Jun-Aug is full with a waiting list for 50A sites. "Might" get a cancellation so we could get a 30A site but told him I don't want one (and some of those sites were small built into the side of that hill). The other place didn't even want to talk about reservations (all discussions were about next year). Tried a few others in and around Cloudcroft and same story. I found one, Cloudclimbing Railroad? RV Park between Cloudcroft and High Rolls that would let us in next year but only by the week, no months; $45 day/$250 week. Said they might let us stay 3 weeks but that would be it because they catered more to "events"....and the place only has 7...SEVEN sites!

We weren't so happy with all that so told DW I would just rent a condo in Pagosa for a couple of months vs trying to fight and find an RV spot somewhere...now, if that will pan out!
Old 08-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #39
gearhead

In my case it might be an omen. I just told Betty we could just stay here in the A/C, venture out early in the morning and at dusk. Travel in spring and fall. Maybe run over to Louisiana for lunch occasionally. Maybe do some surf wade fishing in Galveston.
I gotta do some thinking.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:55 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Here's where I'm at...I think...sort of. Since "changes" have been made that impact energy my electric bill has doubled if I stay here and run the A/C from a couple of years ago. In summer that amounts to quite a bit so leaving saves me hundreds a month. Winter I run on gas heat and last year that wasn't bad but still have to wait for new surprises. For us leaving in winter then staying in summer is bassackwards for most any reason other than my DD and GDs live in FL. Summer there is just not what DW will do. So..

We talked about it on the way home and may try to figure out how to use the shoulder seasons (using our timeshare we always stayed in the shoulder seasons) to make it work out better. I just hate the hot, dry and wind (and the only thing you see is brown dirt, no trees and no water). Where to go in the middle of summer and 105? I'm still working on that too.