Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Blind Squirrel

Water connection

I have the obvious city water connection on my 2011 preimier 28rlpr but there is another water hook up that is not labeled. The line appears to go under my sink in the bathroom and then it goes down below the floor can any one tell me what this is for?
Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
golfpro

IF YOU WERE TO HOOK THAT UP IT MIGHT VERY WELL RUN THE BLACK TANK CLEAN OUT. i WOULD NOT HOOK IT UP TO YOUR WHITE HOSE. USE A REG GARDEN HOSE AND YOU SHOULD HEAR THE WATER SPRAYING IN THE BLACK TANK. SORRY FOR THE CAP LETTERS
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Squirrel View Post
I have the obvious city water connection on my 2011 preimier 28rlpr but there is another water hook up that is not labeled. The line appears to go under my sink in the bathroom and then it goes down below the floor can any one tell me what this is for?
Yes as golfpro has said, it is your black tank flush connection. The line runs under the bath cabinet to a vacume breaker, then back down to the black tank. While you are flushing the black tank, you will here alot of noise under the sink, that is the water running through the check valve and sometimes it will puke out a few drops of water when first turned on. Hope this helps. Happy Campin..............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
SteveC7010

One other point....

The factory label on our trailer says to only run the black flush system when the black tank drain is open. They don't specify what the results might be if the drain isn't open.

I can only speculate.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Shelbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
One other point....

The factory label on our trailer says to only run the black flush system when the black tank drain is open. They don't specify what the results might be if the drain isn't open.

I can only speculate.
My imagination is running wild with possibilities. I am reminded of my mother's wise words when I was young: if you are unsure, remember that you're the one who will have to clean it up!

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

CAN YOU SAY A POOP TSUNAMI!!!! THAT CHECK VALVE FAILED IN MY OLDER CAMPER WHAT A STINK FROM THE SINK. I WAS TOLD IT WAS FROM RUNING THE FLUSH WITH THE DUMP VALVE CLOSED. I DID NOT DO THAT BUT I KNOW NOW I NEVER WILL.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
campingcpl

I always empty my holding tank and then close the drain valve and allow the tank flush to run and fill the tank with some water then pull the valve open again to get the extra stuff out and I have never had a problem with smells or stuff coming back up or out of the hose or drain pipes. I would never run the tank flush with out draining the tank first.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Ron

Just a quick funny or maybe not. My sister was telling me last year that she knows someone with a toy hauler, and when they pulled into a campground and hook up the water, as they thought was to the right unmarked fresh water connection, well it filled the black tank and was running out the vent on the roof (oh ya it was a hot day also). So as they were finishing up the organizing of there camp site there 2 little girls thought it would be fun to cool off and run under the temporary water fall coming off there trailer roof,(YUCKY). Well I was laughing so hard when told the story just picturing the moment, oh and after there two little girls found out what was going on, the fun was over.....Note: I think I would mark the connections, how about you. Happy Clean Campin...............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

Personal opinion to follow;

They are advising us to leave the drain valve open dur to the fact that some of us attempt to multi-task and either someone has hadt the check valve bust or they've wandered off to do something quick and 'forgot' and it came pouring forth from the commode itself.

This is one job where one dosen't want nor need to be distracted.

Again, the view above is only my opinion, ya'll's mileage may vary...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
allentx1

I agree with Hankaye, I always run the flush with tank closed AFTER i have emptied initially. This allows the water to fill the tank and cause a good "flush" when the valve is released. The danger as pointed out is that the water will overfill the tank and come out a vent on the roof, assuming all the joints/seals are good below deck. Either way, all that flush sprayer does is spray a water jet into the tank to attempt to run the rest of the muck through the valve and out the drain hose.
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
Shelbs

This conversation reminds me of an incident that occurred to us several years ago with the Rockwood we recently traded on our new Passport.

We had only had the camper for about a month. It was a Sunday morning and I was black flushing the black tank with a flush king in prep of our trip home. And we were multi tasking. I was on maybe the third round of back flush when we heard a loud crash! At first, we had no idea what it was. Then I went out to attend to the back flush only to find water running everywhere and the black water tank on the ground!! Yep! On the ground! Thankfully it was the third round and the water was certainly cleaner than it could have been earlier in the process. But it was still quite a mess.

Once we got it cleaned up ( which was less than fun) I put the tank n the back of my truck and towed the wounded camper home. The next day, I called the dealer. His response was "that NEVER happens!" Oh, but it does and it did. The service guy later told me that it looked like whoever installed the tank must have been drunk. He said the angle iron holding the tank was welded in at an angle to only a few inches of the iron were actually in contact with the tank.

The dealer fixed it under warranty and we went on about our business (that is, after a six week wait )

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
SteveC7010

Just food for thought here....

If I understand the black tank flush system, part of it is a nozzle that moves about randomly when water pressure is applied. This random spray should (in theory) pressure clean the interior of the tank.

If we close the dump valve and allow the tank to begin to fill with water wouldn't that begin to prevent the spray from doing its job? Obviously, a few gallons of water on the floor of the tank would not be an issue. But filling the tank beyond that might be counter productive for the spray effect.

The floor of the tank is generally not a problem unless the tank has been allowed to dry out with "stuff" still in it.

Absent the spray system, I do believe that partially filling the tank after initial dump and then dumping again is a great way to really clean it out. I've always done it that way.

I am thinking that the best way to do this may be to:
  1. Initial dump
  2. Close drain and turn on flush system
  3. Allow tank to fill part way
  4. Open drain valve with flush still running
  5. Allow flush to run until tank is empty and maybe another 30 seconds or so
  6. Shut off flush and close up the drain valve

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I am thinking that the best way to do this may be to:
  1. Initial dump
  2. Close drain and turn on flush system
  3. Allow tank to fill part way
  4. Open drain valve with flush still running
  5. Allow flush to run until tank is empty and maybe another 30 seconds or so
  6. Shut off flush and close up the drain valve
That's the way I have always done it.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
hankaye

Howdy All;

Basicly the same way I do mine as well.

During the winter when the park has the unused tap secured for freeze protection, I'll;
fill the tank up using the foot valve,
dump that,
fill it a second time,
dump it again.
add 2 scoops of sodium carboniate and 2 caps of Downey...

All clean and smells good too.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote