Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2022, 07:25 AM   #1
JOglesby

South east suggestion

We live just south of Birmingham, AL in a small town (Alabaster) just on I65. Looking for suggestions of a nice campground/RV park with stuff to do in the area and maybe a pool that is within 180 miles. (1 tank of gas). Lived here most of my life but most of my camping was primitive and tent. Now I'm older with a TT and looking for more of a nice RV park feel but not just a parking lot either.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #2
travelin texans

Rvcampground reviews.com for places in any area.
Just realize some aren't happy regardless. I've read that "we gave XXXXX park 1 star cause they didn't furnish free dog poop bags altough it was a very nice park!" or "1 star the free wifi was very weak, couldn't stream movies!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
dutchmensport

If you are just starting out, and you are new to your RV, I suggest you take advantage of the Alabama State Park System. If you have been a tent camper before, then you are probably already familiar with the State Parks in Alabama, how the reservations are made, and what to expect. You really cannot go wrong with a State Park.

Looking at the Alabama DNR (State Park) web site, there are 3 State Parks near your location (Alabaster - Birmingham) ....

Oak Mountain State Park (22 miles for you)
200 Terrance Drive
Pelham, AL 35124
(205) 620-2520

Rickwood Caverns State Park (51 miles for you)
370 Richwood Park Road
Warrior, AL 35180
(205) 647-9682

Cheaha State Park (94 miles for you)
19644 Highway 281
Delta, AL 36258
(256) 488-5111

Check them out, if you are willing to travel 200 miles, you have many more options with Alabama State Parks.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Auto Parts Guy

Also check out county parks (in addition to state parks). We have several in our area that are nicer and cheaper than state parks.
Auto Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
JOglesby

In my opinion the state parks in Alabama are lacking. THe state really should be ashamed of Oak Mountain. The park overall is nice but the camping facilities are far from it.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
Bustinbeards

Joglesby, howdy neighbor we live about 15mins/2 exits south of you.

you can try wind creek on lake Martin

tannehill SP over in mccalla or

palomino in cullman if you have kids they have a lake with a obstacle course and all kinds of stuff for kids. https://palominorvresort.com

There is also a few up near cullman on smith lake.

Monte Santo SP or guntersville SP

My folks just got back from a place near Montgomery (Gunter Hill) on the Alabama river they said was great.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
We live just south of Birmingham, AL in a small town (Alabaster) just on I65. Looking for suggestions of a nice campground/RV park with stuff to do in the area and maybe a pool that is within 180 miles. (1 tank of gas). Lived here most of my life but most of my camping was primitive and tent. Now I'm older with a TT and looking for more of a nice RV park feel but not just a parking lot either.
I live NE of Atlanta, but my folks are from Sylacauga, and my BIL works at National Weather in Alabaster. We come over often with our TT to camp and visit the family. Normally we stay at Oak Mountain SP, Desoto Cavers (Childersburg), or Wind Creek SP. If you want a very nice (and pricey) CG with a pool, check out Crossing Creeks in Blairsville, GA. A good friend owns 2 spots and we've stayed there several times. There are a lot of backroads, so we enjoy the drive.

https://www.crossingcreeksrvresort.com/
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:56 AM   #8
notanlines

We have stayed at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores many times and always had a fine time. I will say it exceeds your mileage by about 70 miles.
https://www.alapark.com/parks/gulf-state-park
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
ljdriscoll

Haver stayed at Cullman RV park in Cullman. Not far from Alabaster

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:39 AM   #10
jxnbbl

Quote:

Only been to one place in AL and it was really great - Wind Creek State Park Campground. I just looked and it is about 80 miles from you.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
jared52

Quote:
In my opinion the state parks in Alabama are lacking. THe state really should be ashamed of Oak Mountain. The park overall is nice but the camping facilities are far from it.
They are closing it down after the first of the year and putting 50A on every spot, renovating the bath houses, and adding spots. They will probably do other upgrades as well.

As for state parts, Lake Gunterville is excellent as well as Wind Creek and Desoto which should be in your range.
jared52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:22 PM   #12
JOglesby

Good to know about Oak Mountain. We've don Guntersville, a little tight and no defined sites lines so neighbors encroach alot. Desoto is good. Haven't done Wind Creek.

We did find a new spot at Cathedral Caverns, newly opened this year.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #13
dutchmensport

We stayed 6 weeks at the RV park in Cullman, Alabama for 6 weeks (January 1, 2021 through February 14, 2021). We were put in the new extension area they had recently added on. And they were in the process of adding more. I just read some current reviews and they seemed pretty positive, especially for overnighting.

Would we go back? Not for 6 weeks again. Maybe an overnight if passing through the area.

There's nothing to do there. No swimming pool, no trails, no recreation building, no outside recreation activities. They do have a nice size dog park fenced in area that we used a lot. (that was nice).

We worked from the camper during that time (information technology) on our company laptops. We connected through the paid wifi provided and it worked very well. This was before we discovered Visible and cell phone boosters too. The wifi worked very well for us.

However, they are sticklers on the rules,.... which is really good. Their park, their rules of course. But at least they enforce the rules with everyone, and not just those transients passing through.

Pizza delivery is banned from that park (or at least it was when we were there) because too many pizza delivery drivers were speeding through the park. Speed limit is 10 mph. The owner's house is right in the middle of the park, and he sees absolutely everything going on. He'll track you down and tell you slow down or pack up your stuff and get out. He's not forgiving at all. Second time speeding, and you're out! (don't ask how we learned this.... I think you know).

They have pinned in farm animals, the pond is fenced off, and ducks the run loose. The neighbor property had donkeys and another neighboring property had chickens. Between the horses, chickens, donkeys, and dog barking in the far distance, it made for some pretty interesting sound effects. But.... no highway or road noise at all!

I'm a bit bewildered now, looking back ... why we stayed for 6 weeks. But the alternative back then, was to return back to Indiana and face the -15 degree weather and snow storms that hit during that timer period. We stayed where it was a bit warmer.

Over all, we had a good time there. The Ava Maria Grotto is well worth visiting. We absolutely enjoyed the miniature building built out of stone and rock, the chapels, and the school campus across the road. We purchased the bread sold in the store there and picked up a few Catholic memorabilia items. In addition, a few gifts for some friends of ours who are Catholic. (we are not Catholic), but still enjoyed the visit there very much. We actually went back to the gift store about 3 or 4 more times to purchase more stuff for gifts for friends and relatives back home.

Beyond THAT! .... we found nothing else to do in Cullman, Alabama except visit a McDonalds and we did purchase a pair of cowboy boots for my wife... And oh ... we did find a meat market and purchased some local meats and deli items that were fabulous.

As a destination vacation point, not much there though, either in the campground or the town.

It did serve our purposes though for which it was intended ... it gave us a destination for 6 weeks to escape the horrid frozen conditions of Indiana in spite of the "Pandemic" that was in full swing then. It let us escape the cold and gave us a place to self-isolate! In that, we were very grateful!