Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #1
Hard Parts Done

Bedroom air not cooling

We have a new 2022 RV and are experiencing a cooling issue. I do understand the cooling issue but I am confused about what is happening. Here is scenerio:
- Outside temp is 75 ish and high humidity (Louisiana)
- Full time RV with full RV carport covering rig
- Daytime RV temp set to 72 with only rear AC (living room). Bedroom turned off with fan running throughout day and door open to all air to circulate
- When we go to bed, Front (bedroom) AC turned down to 63 and rear turned down to 66
- Bedroom door is closed with a fan in bedroom to help circulate air

Issue is the bedroom does not get close to the set temp of 63 until 7 am the next morning after running for 12 hours. The kicker is that the rear will read at 62 or 63 by the 7 am time frame. There is 3 ducts that come off of the bedroom AC. 2 in the bedroom and 1 in the bathroom. Bathroom is outside of the closed bedroom. I know it is blowing cold air because that 1 vent in bathroom is cooling the whole living area. If both sensors (rear and front) read the same temp, I would assume a coolant or AC issue. Filters are changed monthly. I can feel air blowing from all 3 vents and feels cool.

I am being proactive because wife is not going to be happy once we start hitting higher temps in Louisiana (coming very soon). Thanks for the response in advance!

AC specs - Blade Pure™ 15K BTU ducted ultra quiet Coleman Mach Q-Series A/C & residential filter in living room and Blade Pure™ 13.5K BTU ducted ultra quiet Coleman Mach Q-Series & residential filter in bedroom.
Hard Parts Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Residential filters? Typical test for RV AC’s is temp split. Should be 20 degrees or greater. If the air flow divider is out of position or not sealed you could be losing cooling. There is a test to check the compressor but we will talk about that after we verify the divider is in place and you explain the residential filters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
Hard Parts Done

The AC that is in this 2022 unit allows for residential filters. They are 12 x 12 x 1 and can be purchased at home depot. Looks the same as a residential air filter (just much smaller). These AC's do not all for a "dump of cold air" option and everything flows threw the ducts. I cannot find a picture of the intake online and will look this weekend. I also plan to test the air temp in bedroom. But I do know it is cooling because without the living room unit on, the 1 vent in bathroom is cooling that space (at least to the temp sensor).
Old 05-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I typed this once and apparently my computer thought it was lunch time, so it got "ate by the hard drive" .....

Anyway, I believe your Cougar has the "racetrack ducting system". In other words, all the ceiling ductwork is connected to all the ceiling vent openings and no matter which air conditioning unit you turn on, air flow will be present at all the vents. So, no matter what you set the rear thermostat to or no matter how much colder you set the front thermostat, the air ducts in the ceiling will "mix the air from both units and essentially "the entire trailer will be the same temperature" but which unit runs longest will be determined by which thermostat is set to the lowest temperature.

You can verify the "racetrack feature" by turning off on unit, turning the fan to high on the other unit. You should feel airflow at all the vents. Then turn off that unit, turn on the other and you should feel the same airflow at all the ceiling vents.... If you do, you have the racetrack system.

Essentially, it allows you to operate the unit where you are NOT located, so you can reduce noise from the unit. You can use one unit to cool the trailer in moderate temperatures and turn them on/off depending on the outside temperature and your need for additional cooling capacity...

In short, no matter what you set the thermostats to, they will run until their setting is met. If one is set to 78 and one is set to 60, then after the interior temperature in the trailer reaches 78, that A/C unit will shut down, but the other will continue running until the interior temperature reaches 60. In the time between those two events, the entire trailer will be "cooled by the one unit until it also shuts off.

Here is a drawing from an older Cougar brochure depicting the "racetrack concept" and comparing it to two "stand alone units"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar-Racetrack-AC.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	39592  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
travelin texans

With a minimally insulated tin can & 75 degree outdoor temps I'd seriously doubt you'd ever get the inside to 62 degrees regardless of which one or how many A/Cs you have running at night.
As John pointed out with your system if you set both thermostats at the same temp you'll have better luck trying to get that cold. Most likely both units will never shut down & run all night, but you'll have good head start on keeping cool the next day.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
Hard Parts Done

That would explain it. I will test it tonight. Thank you all for the response!
Old 05-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have an amp clamp you can test the current draw on the compressors. You can use the black wire at the breaker panel. Both should be very close to each other and depending on ambient outside temp no more than 13-14 amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Danny (TT). Trying to run the A/Cs and stay at 62-63 in hot, humid weather at night will be a VERY tall order; same goes for 72 during a hot, humid day.

Set both stats to the same temp or one will be trying to carry the load as has been discussed. I would leave the bedroom door open. You are running a fan to keep air circulating - I run 2 in the bedroom at night. Don't open your outside vents, fans, windows etc. The A/Cs pulling in the hot humid air will hamper cooling. At night when I take a shower I do turn on the bathroom fan and open the vent. If you set the temps as low as you mention you might just set the fan speed on both units to high and let them both run to see what happens. With both compressors running constantly and the fans on high I generally feel comfortably cool fairly quickly. I also open the kitchen fantastic vent and run on high to expel the hot air for a few minutes. If I run both A/Cs and one reaches the set temp and shuts down I do not leave it on high fan. Instead I turn it back to auto (both units) because if it has reached the set point and the compressors shut down it will just blow warm humid air.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:14 AM   #9
Hard Parts Done

Thank you all! Wife is happy and all ducts are attached via the track method. Air coming out is 50 to 51 degrees which is perfect based on the outside temp.

I appreciate the community and the quick response.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #10
jsb5717

It also doesn't hurt to pull the vents out of the ceiling and inspect that they are well installed. If the shaft of the vent is sticking up too far into the racetrack duck it might not be allowing adequate air flow out of that duct. Or if there is too great a gap around vent shaft that allows for air to escape into the attic then efficiency is lost there as well. The top of the vent shaft should be flush with the inside of floor of the duct and well sealed with aluminum tape.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom