Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
DonP

Cougar Auto Level

We purchased a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE in December '21, my question is: does it hurt the auto level system to keep the trailer level while parked on the RV Pad on the side of our house?
Old 05-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
pasayten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
We purchased a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE in December '21, my question is: does it hurt the auto level system to keep the trailer level while parked on the RV Pad on the side of our house?
We have the same trailer and I did for last winter, but trailer is stored insode garage. Thinking of calling the manufacturer and asking them for future storage.

UPDATE: Read manual... Only found instructions if used for extended amount of time... To me that includes storage...

"If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack rods with a silicone lubricant every three months for protection. If the coach is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every four to six weeks."

Sounds good to me... :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
It doesn’t hurt it, there are people who live full time in them and they’re always leveled. I guess the question would be why? When mine is stored all…all jacks are fully retracted to keep them from being exposed to the elements. That’s not really important either, as I said earlier, people live in them and things are always exposed. That’s just how I prefer to do it, but mine has hydraulic leveling and I’m trying to protect the seals more than the jacks.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
DonP

Thanks guys, I didn't think it would be an issue bit wanted to make sure. Good advice on spraying them also, thanks.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If the trailer is stored with the jacks up, in an emergency you can tow it out of the way regardless of battery power. With the jacks down, you've got to spend time retracting them before you can pull the trailer away. If there's no battery, it becomes an even longer process. At the same time, if you can drag it away from where it's parked, chances are a thief can't either....

On the other hand, if it is stored with the jacks down, you've got 4 extra 'critter avenues" for ants, roaches, mice and other critters to access the many holes (entry points) along the bottom of every trailer.

From a functional standpoint, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but with our "field mouse problems outweighing the number of thieves in the neighborhood, around here, every entry point we reduce is one less to worry about....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar