Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Kathyfog

Warranty work

We purchased a 2022 cougar in March. Had inspection few weeks ago. A few fairly major issues and several middle concern, lots of minor things. Was told by sales to contact keystone. I sent summary report to keystone and asked if they could recommend Mobil tech. We are at permanent site and do not have tow vehicle. Was told we need to take to dealer to document and repair.
Here is my complaint....the dealer will only repair 10 items max per visit. That sucks because we probably have 50 things the inspector listed.
I asked if they had a list of who to contact to tow us and no help at all. The same dealership who contacted someone to tow our rig to us when we purchased. I get that QC stinks. I get that the dealership QC probably doesn’t even look at a new camper. I don’t get that after paying an independent inspector who listed, photoed and documented everything wrong and they will only take care of 10 things at a time
Kathyfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Did you do a walk through or PDI prior to taking delivery?

I would determine what you can fix on your own, and cross them off the list. Having worked at dealerships for over 10 years I can tell you they aren’t all equal. Some will inspect and address everything BEFORE the customer picks up, others just stick a battery in it, put some propane in the tanks and send it “over the curb”.

When it comes time to address warranty issues, I’ve seen the entire spectrum. Are you trying to get the work done at the selling dealer? If not then count your blessings that your getting ANY items dealt with.

I understand your frustration, and I hope you get a resolution that your happy with.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I know this is "hindsight" and won't fix anything, but with 50 items identified, some of which were major, why on earth did you sign the paperwork and have it delivered with those problems ????? That seems more like a major error on your part rather than a "good old buddy handshake promise with a dealer or salesman"....

If you ever buy another RV, I'd urge you to use your "buyer's leverage" and simply say, "Here's a list of what's wrong. Fix it and I'll buy the RV. Don't fix it and I'll do my buying down the street"......

As for what to do with this trailer at the current time: I'd list the 10 most major problems and find a friend to drag it to the dealership. If you're living in it permanently, you're going to have to decide whether to stay with friends, rent a motel room for the duration (possibly 2 or 3 months) or bite the bullet and just pay for a mobile RV tech to do the repairs. You may be able to negotiate with the dealership and pay the "mobile charge" or you might find another dealership that Keystone will authorize to do the warranty repairs, but I haven't heard of Keystone paying "mobile charges" on any travel trailer or fiifth wheel.

Keystone won't pay for mobile warranty service on any of their products except for "destination trailers" which have a removeable tongue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
Kathyfog

It wasn’t the way we planned it, the inspector was not able to inspect for almost a month and dealer wanted trailer off property so we took possession, then got it inspected. We are new to RV life and this was our first purchase. Lesson learned. Now I know at least a few things that I’ll never do again
Old 04-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Just a sidenote: If you bought a new trailer from a dealer and you found 50 defective items and they said they would only do 10 at a time, by deferral that means bringing it to the dealer 5 separate times and waiting, that's ridiculous and a very poor dealer. I know it's water under the bridge now but you may be between a rock and a hard place....or lighter wallet - and I would dodge that dealer like the plague in the future.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #6
jasin1

Why don’t you post a picture of the inspection list…I’m sure the forum could help whittle that down to a manageable number..by the way I’ve dealt with ALOT of home inspectors and while they are different then rv inspectors they are also likely the same…may have been selling vacuum cleaners a couple of months ago. Many feel pressured to find a bunch of things to prove they earned their fee.

Some of the items may be easy fixes

also you have the luxury of saving money on fuel and truck payments…most people have to factor that in to yearly cost…if you have to pay someone to haul it back to the dealer then I’d consider it cost of ownership …you might try working out a deal with the rv hauler directly because of multiple trips.

And lastly
If it were me and I was living in it then I’d bite the bullet and hire a Mobil tech recommended by the dealer who will at least cover any parts..you might have to pay all of the travel time and some of the labor but if your not argumentative with the service manager maybe they will work with you
Old 04-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
Kathyfog

Thanks everyone. Most of the items seem pretty easy fixes and the inspector put them in order of priority. Just felt the need to vent. Brand new camper that we won’t get to use for hopefully only 2 months
Old 04-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyfog View Post
Thanks everyone. Most of the items seem pretty easy fixes and the inspector put them in order of priority. Just felt the need to vent. Brand new camper that we won’t get to use for hopefully only 2 months
I hear you loud and clear. Hope it doesn’t put a sour taste in your mouth towards the RV lifestyle, but I wouldn’t blame you for a distaste for the selling dealer. IMO he did you wrong in so many ways.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty