Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
GoingPlaces

Slide use when retracted

I have recently heard that one should not use the slide area when it is retracted. Meaning no one should sit on the furniture, bed or at a table whatever is located in the slide.

Is this a truism or another RV myth?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It depends on the type of slide. If it’s a cable slide, the floor of the slide is resting on the floor. It it’s electric or hydraulic, you’ll be able to see a gap between the floors. Putting extra weight (people) can cause excess flex and depending on what material was used for the floor it may stress crack.

At least that’s what I was taught.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It depends on the type of slide. If it’s a cable slide, the floor of the slide is resting on the floor. It it’s electric or hydraulic, you’ll be able to see a gap between the floors. Putting extra weight (people) can cause excess flex and depending on what material was used for the floor it may stress crack.

At least that’s what I was taught.
That's what the owner's manual says as well.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
slow

Our previous trailer had a cable slide with a 3/8 gap between the bottom of the slide floor and the main floor. We purchased four large plastic cutting boards that were 3/8 thick from Walmart and covered them with fabric.
On road trips when just overnighting, we would not unhook from the TV or open the slide. We would place the “spacers” under the slide floor to support it and had no issues. And if we forgot a spacer under the slide floor and opened the slide, it did not create any problems.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #5
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Our previous trailer had a cable slide with a 3/8 gap between the bottom of the slide floor and the main floor. We purchased four large plastic cutting boards that were 3/8 thick from Walmart and covered them with fabric.
On road trips when just overnighting, we would not unhook from the TV or open the slide. We would place the “spacers” under the slide floor to support it and had no issues. And if we forgot a spacer under the slide floor and opened the slide, it did not create any problems.
Excellent tip!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:08 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Every slide is different for sure. But in my Montana High Country, the refrigerator sits in one slide, and the bed with storage under it with access from the outside and the inside. So, it's heavy. The other 2 slides have couches, not light either.

I figure with all this weight, standing, sitting, or laying on the furniture when retracted won't hurt anything. So far it hasn't.

Mine are cable driven.

But, as stated above, it depends on the type of slide system, and yours may be different.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Every slide is not equal neither are the actions of each person. I was told every time we bought a unit with a slide not to step or stand, set or otherwise bear weight on a retracted slide. The user manuals also confirmed this on our units. Perhaps this warning is a "general warning" because people are different. I've seen 20 lb dogs that can shake a trailer more than a 300 lb man. I've witnessed 50 lb kids "fall" into a sofa and break it when a 250 lb man will not have an issue.

With all that said, I have been in a habit of not using our slides while retracted. I wasn't about to "test" a theory while it was still in warranty as it would give an excuse even if a non-relared failure occured. Logically, to me, I'm not willing to risk it "on my dime" either. We have 2 slides in our camper. The main slide with the sleeper sofa & dinette booth is very long so I'm not comfortable stepping on the floor spanning 12' or so without support. The rear slide isn't as long but is very heavy as it has a sleeper sofa and fold down bunk. When retracted we will only use the slides for very light items while traveling, i.e. we'll throw a plastic bag with potatoe chips on the dinette cushions or a bag with bread in it, etc.

Both of our slides are rack and pinion so we can run them out 2' at the storage lot so we don't step on them to load up for a trip without issue. Long way to get to "don't do it" but thought qualifying the opinion was necessary.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Springdale had a 14' "ram driven slide" our Cougar has a 13' "ram driven slide"...

Both slides are essentialy the same construction and the same drive system. Both have/had a sofa and a dining area, booth in the Springdale Table & chairs in the Cougar.

When the Springdale slide was retracted, the front lip of the floor sat about 3" above the trailer floor. Step on it in the middle and you could visibly watch the slide corners "pull toward the center". Step on it at either end and you could see/hear the staples pulling as the floor separated from the sidewalls.

When the Cougar slide is retracted, the front lip of the floor sits about 1/2" above the trailer floor. Step in the middle and it doesn't move enough to affect the ends. Step on the end and nothing seems to move enough to even notice.

Point is: EVERY trailer is different, EVERY side is different, EVERY adjustment is different. Some trailers you can step on the floor when the slide is retracted and not do anything destructive. On other trailers, step on the slide and you can WATCH THE DESTRUCTION IN ACTION.....

For some, as Marshall noted, a 50 pound kid and a 250 pound man have significantly different "trailer destroying capacity".....

For me, it boiled down to what I call "common sense"... I wouldn't step on my Springdale slide floor when retracted, but don't have the same concerns with my Cougar slide floor. Different situation/different conclusion/different action.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
Carrottop

Just out of curiosity are Motorhomes built differently? I had two class C's and one class A and you had no choice but to sit on them when travelling as that is the only seating. The dinette and sofa are almost always on a slide and have seatbelts for use while driving.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Just out of curiosity are Motorhomes built differently? I had two class C's and one class A and you had no choice but to sit on them when travelling as that is the only seating. The dinette and sofa are almost always on a slide and have seatbelts for use while driving.

Do not motorhomes have raised slide floors? If so, the perimeter frame provides substantial rigidity relative to a thin strand board slide floor found on most trailers.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
Life-in-Him

As Slow said, the inward edge raises about 3/8".
Our cougar 24sabwe comes up 1/2-3/4"
I insert a full length spacer (3\4" thick) when we travel. We tie the bathroom door open to get to the dining & kitchen w|o having to lower the back steps
2 yrs FT & no cracks or breakage.
We also removed the " couch" & put in a rocker & small table to open it up.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Do not motorhomes have raised slide floors? If so, the perimeter frame provides substantial rigidity relative to a thin strand board slide floor found on most trailers.
All the Tiffins I worked on had rollers on the floor and the leading edge of the slide so it was supported while in. Cant say I really remember others.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Awinkle

Using Slide While Retracted

We have a 2018 Outback 250URS with a side and back slide. The back slide is the bed and when it's retracted it is about three feet above the floor. I have taken to always put a brace between the bed and floor to take the weight off the slide mechanism when it's retracted. I figure that helps both stationary and when traveling. Hope that helps.
Awinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide