Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #41
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The "one tank at time" folks are probably those that don't #2 in the toilet, no paper flushed but save it in a bucket next the toilet or never use the shower folks also.
We bought the rv after tent camping & using a pop up for years without those conveniences & for over 40 years since have flushed #2 & non rv paper, used the shower, kept the fridge cold & occasionally the furnace on gas while traveling & opened both lp tanks at the same time with never an issue doing any of them.
I do not intend to use campground facilities unless absolutely necessary & don't have to go out in the middle of the night to get the heat going again.
To each their own!
Sure a lot of pure speculation on this forum. Especially from someone called Texans that actually live in Arizona, and by their signature didn't even have a Keystone RV. Pretty funny stuff on here. Better than Andy Griffith.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #42
Opa 1

Quote:
The "one tank at time" folks are probably those that don't #2 in the toilet, no paper flushed but save it in a bucket next the toilet or never use the shower folks also.
We bought the rv after tent camping & using a pop up for years without those conveniences & for over 40 years since have flushed #2 & non rv paper, used the shower, kept the fridge cold & occasionally the furnace on gas while traveling & opened both lp tanks at the same time with never an issue doing any of them.
I do not intend to use campground facilities unless absolutely necessary & don't have to go out in the middle of the night to get the heat going again.
To each their own!
That is funny, nice answer my friend
Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #43
rlh1957

With an auto changeover system is that when it changes over to the second tank you can disconnect the hose to the empty tank and take it to refill… and without the system being exposed to air or interrupting gas flow of the other tank. Keeps the whole trailer system from air entering the line.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

This is one of those debates that always amuses me when it comes up. With previous campers The lp tanks were on the tongue with a plastic cover. A small hole in the top could be revealed to operate the valves and check the changeover valve. It was simple enough to me to check that when we hitched up. While hitching up I would turn on the gas and check the change over valve. When returning the camper to storage I'd turn off the LP tank valves and again look at the indicator. If it had changed over then I'd remove the tank and take it with me. I didn't see that as too complicated for even my feeble mind.

With this camper the lp tanks are recessed behind a fiberglass panel and not easy to get to or visualize, So I bought a Mopeka Tank Sensor and it works well. Now I don't have to worry about it, just check the tank levels on my phone app. It's just li9ke I previously manually checked tire pressures (including spare) before hitching up. Now I check the TPMS on my dash when I get close to the camper in the lot.

I also check and dump my gray tank BEFORE we take showers so it doesn't back up in the tub. Doesn't seem like rocket science but hay that's just me. To each his own, it's all good.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #45
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
Another one that only uses one tank at a time. It's not a bother to me at all to switch from one tank to the other. At least i know when going outside I will have a full tank to switch to. That is unless someone stole it or the valve is no good. The new stuff is supposed to work these days but sometimes they DON'T. How many have had problems with the KEYTV ? In the good old days you had to physically switch your propane valves, hmmm think i'll just keep doing it that way.
That's exactly how I do it. We are homesteading in our fifth wheel. I leave one tank on, with the pointer facing it. When the light starts blinking on the fridge, I go outside and switch over the valve, and turn on the valve on the fuel tank. I take the empty tank out, take it to the fill station, and I don't have to worry about running out.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #46
Brentw

Well I keep my rear tank shut off till I need it, I also monitor my forward tank level by rapping the tank every couple of days. I'll swap to the back tank for just as long as it takes me to refill the front tank. In order to change the back tank, front one has to be disconnected and removed, so I like to minimize how many times I have to wrestle those things. Doesn't bother me to run out of fuel in the night, seldom is the furnace on, dw likes it crispy at night.
PS, throwing poop paper in the bucket is gross, I don't do that.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #47
travelin texans

Quote:
Sure a lot of pure speculation on this forum. Especially from someone called Texans that actually live in Arizona, and by their signature didn't even have a Keystone RV. Pretty funny stuff on here. Better than Andy Griffith.
First off if you reread that post I don't believe I mentioned your name, or anyone else's, in that post anywhere! I was simply pointing that some folks have some very different ideas about using their rvs. If you fell into that category, so be it!
Secondly if you'd check Keystones available models you'll find the Redwood in the Crossroads division of Keystone both of which are divisions of Thor.
I also stated "to each their own!".
You just can't possibly know how little I care about how you operate or maintain your rv or your opinions about where I'm from, where I live or the brand of rv I had.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #48
dutchmensport

Quote:
The "one tank at time" folks are probably those ... no paper flushed ...!
Just like good mainstream news media coverage, I took your words and edited them to mean what I wanted ...

But, I am one of those 1 tank at a time people and I will honestly say (for absolute real) ... I am one of those who do not put toilet paper down the toilet in our RV.

OH MY!

Now the question is "Why?" ..... easy answer ... we don't use toilet paper. I installed a Bidet!

Old 02-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #49
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just like good mainstream news media coverage, I took your words and edited them to mean what I wanted ...

But, I am one of those 1 tank at a time people and I will honestly say (for absolute real) ... I am one of those who do not put toilet paper down the toilet in our RV.

OH MY!

Now the question is "Why?" ..... easy answer ... we don't use toilet paper. I installed a Bidet!

I have to also say I don't use a basket for toilet paper. Sounds pretty gross to me. The thought never entered my head. Like I said pretty funny stuff.
Ram Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #50
Brentw

A bidet you say, hmmm...interesting. do they fit on a RV toilet?
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #51
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
A bidet you say, hmmm...interesting. do they fit on a RV toilet?
I have also seen these for sale at lowes and now even Walmart. How did you plumb the bidet into your toilet? Please explain with a few photos of your installation.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #52
Ram Nation

Quote:
I have to also say I don't use a basket for toilet paper. Sounds pretty gross to me. The thought never entered my head. Like I said pretty funny stuff.
My main question about a bidet. I can see how you plumb it in but it's cold water. Brrrrr
Old 02-13-2022, 09:42 PM   #53
vampress_me

Quote:
I have also seen these for sale at lowes and now even Walmart. How did you plumb the bidet into your toilet? Please explain with a few photos of your installation.
“Search” feature on the menu bar of the forum is your friend. If you do, you will find numerous posts on bidets, pros and cons, installed photos, etc. When you search, click on the posts titled RV Toilet Paper Alternative - you will see photos back a few pages.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:52 AM   #54
RickV

Quote:
My main question about a bidet. I can see how you plumb it in but it's cold water. Brrrrr
It's really not that bad. We had never thought about using one then some friends built a new house and had em installed. We visited them and had to be gicven instructions on how to use one . We liked em so much when we got home I ordered two for our house bathrooms and then eventually one for the 5er. It was trial and error to get the angle of the spray right because we have the shorter round bowl Dometic 310 and I had to use fender washers under the bidet to get everything to work right.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #55
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
“Search” feature on the menu bar of the forum is your friend. If you do, you will find numerous posts on bidets, pros and cons, installed photos, etc. When you search, click on the posts titled RV Toilet Paper Alternative - you will see photos back a few pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
It's really not that bad. We had never thought about using one then some friends built a new house and had em installed. We visited them and had to be gicven instructions on how to use one . We liked em so much when we got home I ordered two for our house bathrooms and then eventually one for the 5er. It was trial and error to get the angle of the spray right because we have the shorter round bowl Dometic 310 and I had to use fender washers under the bidet to get everything to work right.
Thanks for the reply's folks. I just assumed cold water and a Bidet would not be a pleasant feeling literally I also apologize for changing the focus of this thread about the Propane valve. Funny how things work out.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #56
snoobler

Thanks to this thread, I have now learned BOTH my trailers have this kind of regulator. I now experience the joy associated with NOT worrying about getting up at 3am in 20°F weather because I have to switch tanks.

The green/red indicator lets me know when it's time to refill the empty.

Thanks folks!
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobler View Post
Thanks to this thread, I have now learned BOTH my trailers have this kind of regulator. I now experience the joy associated with NOT worrying about getting up at 3am in 20°F weather because I have to switch tanks.

The green/red indicator lets me know when it's time to refill the empty.

Thanks folks!
Not all regulators are auto changeover type but they are the most common as most people find it a convenience feature that's desireable. How people choose to use it is their choice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #58
JDDilly

it is a personal preference and there is no wrong way to do it. We have a friend at our summer seasonal spot that runs with both tanks open and runs out of LP at least once a year. His answer to the problem was to get another 30# tank to have on hand. when I need LP, I always ask him if he had an empty tank, his response is he will check it later.

His wife was really upset with him a couple years ago on a cold fall weekend. I was running for fuel and asked him if he needed some, same response as always. That night he ran out. He came and took the full one off my camper for the remainder of the night. I just shake my head,

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #59
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
it is a personal preference and there is no wrong way to do it. We have a friend at our summer seasonal spot that runs with both tanks open and runs out of LP at least once a year. His answer to the problem was to get another 30# tank to have on hand. when I need LP, I always ask him if he had an empty tank, his response is he will check it later.

His wife was really upset with him a couple years ago on a cold fall weekend. I was running for fuel and asked him if he needed some, same response as always. That night he ran out. He came and took the full one off my camper for the remainder of the night. I just shake my head,
Yea I guess it goes to show that it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you're persistent. My preference has always worked for me.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #60
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post

Well ru n with both tanks open, but check gauge often. We went through an ice storm here last year and shortly afterwards bought a 3rd 30# propane tank. When one runs out, swap in the full then take the empty to fill. The third is also a backup if we can’t get out for a couple days.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank