Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
reiddo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Going back to the original poster's question... I don't think the propane tanks can be equalized if you have the automatic switchover valve.
My original question was generated because I have one empty tank. I am concerned that if I open both tank valves that pressure would “migrate”from the full to the empty. Having no experience with the flip flop setup, I am of the opinion from all the previous posts that until the empty is refilled that I should close the empty side and open only the full side.
reiddo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddo1 View Post
My original question was generated because I have one empty tank. I am concerned that if I open both tank valves that pressure would “migrate”from the full to the empty. Having no experience with the flip flop setup, I am of the opinion from all the previous posts that until the empty is refilled that I should close the empty side and open only the full side.
Unless the regulator is faulty, the propane WILL NOT migrate from one cylinder to the other.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

No, the propane stays in the respective tanks until completely used then the regulator automatically switches to the other full tank...if the tank is open. If it's not open the regulator can't switch and you're out of propane until the valve is opened. Using it in that manner completely negates the benefit of the automatic changeover regulator. Fill both tanks and connect them to the pigtails; open both tanks; turn the indicator on the top of the regulator toward one of the tanks; watch the indicator at the top and when it turns red the tank the pointer is pointed at is empty (the other tank is still full and the regulator has automatically began using LP from it); turn the indicator toward the full tank; turn off, disconnect and refill the empty tank; reinstall, connect the pigtail and turn on the valve; when it turns red again repeat the procedure with the other tank.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #24
reiddo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No, the propane stays in the respective tanks until completely used then the regulator automatically switches to the other full tank...if the tank is open. If it's not open the regulator can't switch and you're out of propane until the valve is opened. Using it in that manner completely negates the benefit of the automatic changeover regulator. Fill both tanks and connect them to the pigtails; open both tanks; turn the indicator on the top of the regulator toward one of the tanks; watch the indicator at the top and when it turns red the tank the pointer is pointed at is empty (the other tank is still full and the regulator has automatically began using LP from it); turn the indicator toward the full tank; turn off, disconnect and refill the empty tank; reinstall, connect the pigtail and turn on the valve; when it turns red again repeat the procedure with the other tank.
Thank you. I am most impressed with the resources available on this site.

2012 Keystone Springdale 247FRLLS
reiddo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Thank you. I am most impressed with the resources available on this site.
When opening the valves do it slowly til you hear the gas pressurize the hose. Opening too quickly will activate the rapid release shutoff built into the tank & you'll get no gas.
As most of the others have recommended open both tanks, point the pointer to which you want to use 1st, check the indicator regularly & fill as needed.
Someone mentioned turning off the tanks til needed to which I'd say even if you like to tinker constantly turning the propane on/off is not what alI consider tinkering but rather an unnecessary chore.
Here's another bit advice that I'm sure will get varied opinions, turn your rv type fridge to automatic & forget it. The fridge will then automatically switch from electric to gas every time you disconnect power, as it was designed to do,
then switch to gas while traveling to keep everything cold. Yes it's OK to travel with the fridge on gas & run the furnace while traveling if needed.
Now let the naysayers throw in their .02 cents. But I've done these procedures for over 40 years rving & never burnt down or blew up a rv yet!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Danny and Danny....

The automatic changeover regulator has allowed me to sleep through the night on many stormy, raining, wet, cold, miserable nights when the "active propane tank runs out of gas"... I find out about it in the morning, or the next day or two, when I check the regulator. But, I get to sleep UNDISTURBED all night, warm, safe and snug in bed without a cold trailer or DW saying the gas burner on the stove won't light..... A nice feature if you understand how to use it to your benefit.

That said, there is one situation where I turn my refrigerator to GAS rather than AUTO. That's when I am on shore power and am trying to reduce my electric load. With a 30 amp shore power system, during the summer, it's sometimes difficult to prevent the campground circuit breaker from shutting down power to the trailer. If it happens, I "shed electrical load" in the trailer by turning the refrigerator to GAS, turning off the water heater electric system and run those two on gas to "limp by until it gets cooler"....

But, what he suggested, to just put the refrigerator on AUTO and let it work like designed is what we typically do, unless we need to reduce power loading.... And we always tow with the refrigerator running on gas (selected by the AUTO function)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #27
LnS

in 30 years these will be the good old days ....

as for personal preferences on so many things including like how to operate our gas valves, ( do it discretely or the grand kids will rat you out) it really doesn't matter
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnS View Post
in 30 years these will be the good old days ....

as for personal preferences on so many things including like how to operate our gas valves, ( do it discretely or the grand kids will rat you out) it really doesn't matter
Oh but it sure could matter !!!! Right now, there's probably 4 or 5 threads in the past 2 months where members post, "I ran out of propane, went out to switch to the other tank and now my furnace doesn't stay lit" or "I ran out of propane, refilled the tank but the water heater doesn't light" or ..... <fill in the blank>

Eliminating the risk of filling the gas lines with air, having to purge them, turning on a gas valve too fast and activating the "flow detector" or just running out of gas and having to "run outside in the rain to switch tanks" all come with a risk that's been well documented on the forum as "not completely fool proof"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2022, 02:59 AM   #29
RickV

There is a company called Mopeka that makes sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of the tanks. There is an app that connects to them via Bluetooth or you can even buy a monitor that you can put inside your camper. With the new 5er we hardly ever use the furnace since most of the time we are on shore power and use the fake fireplace, a space heater and one of the ACs has a heat pump. Most of our propane use is for the on demand water heater which is gas only. I bought a set of the original ones about 5 years ago and like em. They are pretty accurate. Only thing is the batteries (watch type) need to be replaced about every six months as you can see in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220208-054847.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	38273  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Oh but it sure could matter !!!! Right now, there's probably 4 or 5 threads in the past 2 months where members post, "I ran out of propane, went out to switch to the other tank and now my furnace doesn't stay lit" or "I ran out of propane, refilled the tank but the water heater doesn't light" or ..... <fill in the blank>

Eliminating the risk of filling the gas lines with air, having to purge them, turning on a gas valve too fast and activating the "flow detector" or just running out of gas and having to "run outside in the rain to switch tanks" all come with a risk that's been well documented on the forum as "not completely fool proof"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
There is a company called Mopeka that makes sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of the tanks. There is an app that connects to them via Bluetooth or you can even buy a monitor that you can put inside your camper. With the new 5er we hardly ever use the furnace since most of the time we are on shore power and use the fake fireplace, a space heater and one of the ACs has a heat pump. Most of our propane use is for the on demand water heater which is gas only. I bought a set of the original ones about 5 years ago and like em. They are pretty accurate. Only thing is the batteries (watch type) need to be replaced about every six months as you can see in the picture.
John, agree with you 100%. I for one don't want to be getting up at 2:00 am to go out in cold, wind, rain, or snow to turn on a propane tank. Then again to each their own, it is personal choice, and people have their own reasons.

Rick, if one is going by the one tank at a time that is a nice system, just seems like battery usage is high at once every six months. To me it seems like a bit of a hassle to replace the batteries every six months, but that is me. If I was a one tank at a time person, I would likely use a system like this.
We don't heat with gas, unless the power is out, if power goes out in the middle of the night, all I need to do is get out of bed and flick the switch from electric to gas, and go back to bed.
I am thinking about how to set up a 120 volt driven relay, that will make the switch for me.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #31
dutchmensport

As I've always said, there is no right or wrong way to do "camping", and when it comes to your propane tanks, I suppose there's really no right or wrong way to do them either, regarding the switch over valve. We each do it according to our own comfort level.

I personally, do not open both tanks at the same time, even though my last 3 trailers, all, had switch over valves. It took only 1 time to run completely out (the fist time) and I realized I am just not THAT in-tuned to my propane usage. Especially running the furnace. So I keep one tank closed all the time and don't mind getting up in the middle of the night if we lost heat. I just don't monitor my tanks that close, so letting one run out and then having to turn the other one on manually works best for me.

Again, we each have our own comfort level how we like to do things. No right or wrongs, we all just do it "different."
Old 02-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #32
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
John, agree with you 100%. I for one don't want to be getting up at 2:00 am to go out in cold, wind, rain, or snow to turn on a propane tank. Then again to each their own, it is personal choice, and people have their own reasons.

Rick, if one is going by the one tank at a time that is a nice system, just seems like battery usage is high at once every six months. To me it seems like a bit of a hassle to replace the batteries every six months, but that is me. If I was a one tank at a time person, I would likely use a system like this.
We don't heat with gas, unless the power is out, if power goes out in the middle of the night, all I need to do is get out of bed and flick the switch from electric to gas, and go back to bed.
I am thinking about how to set up a 120 volt driven relay, that will make the switch for me.
As for the one tank setup I always can check when the status of both tanks and if one is empty or just about empty I can get it refilled so I always have at least one full tank. The batteries are cheap and I change em out when I fill a tank. Beats trying to guess how much propane is in the tanks.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #33
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
To those that only turn on one tank at a time, I sure don't want to get up and go out at 2:00 am in 30 degree temperatures to flip the indicator, and open the second tank. Likely one might open the second tank too fast and no flow.
Agreed, however I would like it a lot less to get up at 2AM and find both tanks were empty. How many people are going to diligently monitor their propane tanks and check the color code?
I run with one tank. When it is empty, I open the other tank and refill the empty one.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #34
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Agreed, however I would like it a lot less to get up at 2AM and find both tanks were empty. How many people are going to diligently monitor their propane tanks and check the color code?
I run with one tank. When it is empty, I open the other tank and refill the empty one.
Sounds pretty simple to me also Bob. Quite a bit of discussion on this topic.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post

If someone actually leaves both tanks open and manages to run them both empty because they never checked the regulator.....what can you say??? It takes all of 5 seconds to open the door and look at it.

I've never opened just one tank at a time (makes no sense to me) because you WILL run out of propane and it WILL happen at an inopportune time - I've never ran out of propane unexpectedly. I do however know how much I use my LP and check the regulator (all of 5 seconds) periodically dependent on usage. I do the same for my neighbors and they've never ran out of LP either....except the first time when he was in the hospital due to his cancer and she didn't know what she was doing - ran both 40lb. tanks dry. I now monitor and fill for them and there are no issues. I also took her outside and showed/explained the process to her in the event I wasn't around.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

The "red indicator on the regulator" is the "fuel gauge for the propane tanks"..

To suggest, I don't ever look at my fuel gauge on my truck, but when it starts sputtering, I add my 5 gallon can that's in the truck and head to a gas station"..

Isn't that the same as "I only use one tank and when it's empty, I switch tanks and go refill the empty one"...

Why not just check the "propane gauge and when it's red, refill the empty tank" just like checking the tow vehicle fuel gauge and when it gets low, refill the tank"...

But, hey, whatever blows your skirt is good with me, just seems "unique" to refuse to use the tools available to make RVing easier, and then, to each his own...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #37
bbells

I only have one tank turned on at a time. That way when it empties I have time to refill it while running on the other tank. I don't mind going out at night to open one and close the empty. I live in Minnesota. Too cold means someone is just underdressed.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:42 AM   #38
JohnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Back in the "good old days" we had to crank the tongue jack (not just hold a switch), we had to put jackstands under each corner of the trailer (not just push a switch on a panel), we had to check tire pressure every morning before towing (not glance at a screen on the dash), we had to have a map and actually know which edge of the map was north (not talk to the lady in the computer to tell her where we want to go) and we didn't even have seat belts or air bags...

Certainly, the decision to use an automatic changeover regulator is a personal choice, but not all the "used to do's" were based on "the good old days".... YMMV
Yeah, why did they ever call it "The good Ol Days " ?!?? I rather like the luxury of these days !!!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #39
rlh1957

Not sure why you’d want to have tanks equalize. It doesn’t matter if one is full and one is 3/4 or full.
With one tank empty you tank it in for refill. If you used equalized tanks you’d be having to pull both tanks to ho refill and my wife standing there with no gas to cook!
An auto changeover valve pulls from whichever tank you select as primary.
Then when that tank is empty it auto switches to secondary tank.
It is nice that a middle of cooking or midnight heat doesn’t go off but just switches to the secondary tank.
No matter if you have auto changeover or turn tanks on one at a time, or even have monitors on your tanks You Must still check and monitor gas usage and tank levels.
There isn’t a wrong or right way, just what works for you. I even knew a guy years ago that had a second tank added to his trailer and would manually switch to the second tank when first ran out. That was his system for knowing when to swap. This worked for him and he didn't want to put on a Y connector or second regulator or auto change over.

Back in the day we’d switch bottles in the middle of grilling and think nothing of it.
As long as you observe safe LP use rules.
I have auto-changeover and Mopeka tank monitors… but I still have to look at my system to know how my gas is.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #40
travelin texans

The "one tank at time" folks are probably those that don't #2 in the toilet, no paper flushed but save it in a bucket next the toilet or never use the shower folks also.
We bought the rv after tent camping & using a pop up for years without those conveniences & for over 40 years since have flushed #2 & non rv paper, used the shower, kept the fridge cold & occasionally the furnace on gas while traveling & opened both lp tanks at the same time with never an issue doing any of them.
I do not intend to use campground facilities unless absolutely necessary & don't have to go out in the middle of the night to get the heat going again.
To each their own!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank