Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
Ram Nation

Fixing drafty windows ?

I am contemplating sealing our north facing windows both outside and inside. Was thinking off a sealant on both sides of the windows to control the drafts. I know i feel drafts on inside the window frames, don't know if its from the windows themselves or the outside glass. One of my neighbors did his and swears by it. We don't open the north facing windows what so ever so no problem there. Just wondering if others have done something like this? Its the new flat type windows.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you never plan on selling/trading your rig then maybe, otherwise your asking for major problems later on. Your draft is probably from the gap in the D seal that the glass presses against. That gap is the “weep hole” for moisture and sealing it may cause water to go where you don’t want it.

I would be looking into an interior fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Ram Nation

Yea I think you're right about the fix. Seems more logical to do something with the inside frame. We utilize a dehumidifier year round so moisture so far hasn't been an issue.I guess a solution is to seal the inside frame somehow and just leave it up year round.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:29 PM   #4
rhagfo

Using shrink film on the inside is the best solution, we do it and stops drafts.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:30 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The window is held in place by the trim ring on the inside. There is a seal applied to the backside of the outer frame. Different rv manufacturers have used different material and it’s possible that yours has failed already.

There isn’t anything to Seal on the inside, so your best bet would be to remove the window, replace the seal and then re install. I like this seal, gap at the bottom middle.

https://approducts.net/product/ribbe...16-x-3-8-x-50/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:47 PM   #6
Ram Nation

That definitely looks like it would do the trick. Maybe as you say with these strong north winds here in Texas it is leaking at the weep holes. Just hate the thought of the plastic on the windows until the fall.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
I am contemplating sealing our north facing windows both outside and inside. Was thinking off silicone on both sides of windows to control the drafts. I know i feel drafts on inside the window frames, don't know if its from the windows themselves or the outside glass. One of my neighbors did his and swears by it. We don't open the north facing windows what so ever so no problem there. Just wondering if others have done something like this? Its the new flat type windows.
I'm sure there may be an appropriate use for silicone somewhere, but in my opinion it's not anywhere visible on a rv, definitely not around the windows/doors. There are specific sealants designed for rvs & silicone is not one of them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:54 PM   #8
Ram Nation

Yea I guess I should have made myself clearer about the silicon. Too many times when you think something you say the wrong thing. But have to admit that I have used silicon in our rv and actually didn't look to bad. I'm sure i will figure something out, just asking if others had heard of someone doing it.

Tags
windows