Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
Robertson

Washer/Dryer Installation

We are new to RV'ing. Purchased used 2018 Keystone Sprinter Limited 3341 5th wheel. Being a newbie, I put too much trust in the seller, the brother to a guy we knew. After completing repairs, we wish to add washer/dryer. Of course, I failed to look for a factory pre-plumb/wire setup.

I am searching for wiring and plumbing systematics to aid me in the installation...if it is possible. Currently the only location for the W/D is in the bathroom, if I close off the sliding door to the bedroom. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am an experienced DIYer with plumbing and wiring. Plus, I have built custom furniture and cabinetry since retiring in '07.

I am learning that this RV is another house to maintain, but the wife and our boys' families are enjoying it.
Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

There are no diagrams for plumbing opt wiring. Keystone considers that proprietary and I don't think they even make that available to the dealers.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson View Post
We are new to RV'ing. Purchased used 2018 Keystone Sprinter Limited 3341 5th wheel. Being a newbie, I put too much trust in the seller, the brother to a guy we knew. After completing repairs, we wish to add washer/dryer. Of course, I failed to look for a factory pre-plumb/wire setup.

I am searching for wiring and plumbing systematics to aid me in the installation...if it is possible. Currently the only location for the W/D is in the bathroom, if I close off the sliding door to the bedroom. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am an experienced DIYer with plumbing and wiring. Plus, I have built custom furniture and cabinetry since retiring in '07.

I am learning that this RV is another house to maintain, but the wife and our boys' families are enjoying it.

Go slowly and carefully on any mods you decide to make. Experienced or not, an RV and a s/b house are nowhere similar.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:07 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your trailer isn’t prewired or plumbed for W/D, it’s going to be a daunting task to add them. Are you looking at a combo unit? Vented or non vented dryer?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:15 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your trailer isn’t prewired or plumbed for W/D, it’s going to be a daunting task to add them. Are you looking at a combo unit? Vented or non vented dryer?
I agree, looked at the floor plan for that front living room model. The location you chose will require tying into the bathroom sink for water and drain. Not sure a washer dryer is that important.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
CWtheMan

An added note: The weight of all plumbing and attachments and the actual weight of the W/D unit MUST be deducted from the CCC label.

FMVSS 571.110 and FMVSS 571.120 have the instructions for how that is done.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
dutchmensport

The Splendide Stackable washing machine weighs 143 pounds. The dryer is 67 pounds. Based on your floor plan, the weight will be slightly behind the axles. This is a very close similar location as the washer/dryer installed in my Montana High Country Fifth Wheel. We had ours installed 2 years after we took delivery of the camper.

You best bet would be to tap into the plumbing that runs from either the shower or the bathroom sink. Looking at the floor plan, the shower drain would be a better choice as it's actually closer to the sliding door. You will probably need to remove the underbelly covering to access all the plumbing.

While you have the opportunity, you might as well build in some extra cabinet space around the washing machine and dryer.

Just a tip: If end up installing at this location, face the washing machine and the dryer opening into the bathroom and not the bed room. The washing machine door on the Splendide stackable opens to the left. The dryer opens to the right, and neither door can be changed. If you have to manage around your bed, both are a real pain. We have to navigate the bed in ours, and it's very tight.

Also, if you go this route, create a removable panel from the inside of the bed room so you can easily access the back of the washing machine and dryer. Ours had a spot pre-built and pre-plumbed and wired for the washer and dryer, but getting to the faucets to turn the water on and off, is near impossible, if it wasn't for the cabinet door inside the bathroom (on mine). So, make an access panel from the bed room side. You will NOT regret this. and it will make hook-up a lot easier.

Your camper is just a hunk of metal and wood. With the right skills, time, money, and space to do the work, anything can be done!

Enjoy!

FYI, installing the washer and dryer was one of the BETTER things we did for our camper. Running to laundry mats gets really, really old! Too much time spent there!

Also, fyi ... once you install the washer and dryer, you won't need laundry baskets any more. You just throw everything in the washing machine instead. When it's full, run it, dry it, put it away.

Also ... expect your camper to shake like a green leaf on a tree in the Spring wind too. They shake the entire trailer!
Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
Robertson

Washer/Dryer Installation

Looking at the Splendide Stackable. I am so thankful for everyone's input. Ya'll (that's Alabama redneck) have presented so many factors we must consider. True about Keystone...they will not share any information. We have a lot of planning before I dig out the tools. THANKS AGAIN...EVERYONE!!
Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
34kw

Do the Splendide stackables for sure. X2 on no laundry basket.
34kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
RJS

Weight and vented vs non-vented

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
An added note: The weight of all plumbing and attachments and the actual weight of the W/D unit MUST be deducted from the CCC label.

FMVSS 571.110 and FMVSS 571.120 have the instructions for how that is done.
I agree with CWtheMan the weight of the modification is very important. Not just the CCC, but specific tire and axel loading.

I purchased my own scale specifically because I wanted to know my actual weights. I place a piece of wood under every wheel that is same thickness as the scale and measure each wheel Truck and Trailer. Unhitch and weight the 4 truck tires again to be able to calculate "pin" weight or in my case Gooseneck weight. Takes some time but better safe than sorry.. Must be done on level ground and fully loaded as if leaving on a trip with full gas, propane and however much fresh water you normally have to make your measurements real.

I chose the Splendide combo unit to both reduce weight and leave more room for storage. That may not be an issue for you. I also chose the vented model after talking to Splendide. I was told the non-vented unit over time will need to be internally cleaned to return the drying efficiency. Depending on the number of loads you do it could be a soon as a year for the issue to be observed. They said that 95% of the units they sold were vented for a reason.. A bonus for me with the combo unit you can put in your wash and go to dinner or an excursion and when you come back it is fully washed and dried..

Did not seem to post the first time so I hope this 2nd post will take
Reese 94716 Gooseneck RV Coupler - 16K
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:33 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
A bonus for me with the combo unit you can put in your wash and go to dinner or an excursion and when you come back it is fully washed and dried..

That depends on how long your dinner or excursion is!
A typical small load, which is all you want to wash/dry in it, is 2+ hours. If more than 1 load per day plan for all day to get laundry done. Then the ironing begins, everything, I mean EVERYTHING, comes out wrinkled.
We added the combo to our 1st fulltime 5er & the ONLY advantage we found was we weren't going to laundromats anymore.
The 2nd 5er we got the stackables, much better laundry experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:33 PM   #12
RJS

Difference between stacked and combo W/D units

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That depends on how long your dinner or excursion is!
A typical small load, which is all you want to wash/dry in it, is 2+ hours. If more than 1 load per day plan for all day to get laundry done. Then the ironing begins, everything, I mean EVERYTHING, comes out wrinkled.
We added the combo to our 1st fulltime 5er & the ONLY advantage we found was we weren't going to laundromats anymore.
The 2nd 5er we got the stackables, much better laundry experience.
Danny & Linda, Thanks for sharing what you learned 1st hand having used both combo and stacked model types. This is really good info to know about the stackables being a much better experience for folks trying to make a decision about combo or stacked. I really thought there would not be much difference. I don't recall reading about it when I did my research when I purchased the combo unit, but I was more focused on the combo unit I guess.

For my rig the major concern was to keep the weight down with the modification, and space was a close second concern. I even removed the 3 glass door panels in the bathroom that weigh 65 lb. and replaced them with a beautiful sea shell pattern shower curtain and rod that is probably a total of 2 lb. There were other things I would rather have along for the ride than those 3 glass doors that you just can't seem to clean in between them anyway.

The total time I am guessing on the combo unit is probably pretty close to the same as what your stackables would have to complete one normal load sequentially so it's not that bad. We usually are out during most of the day so having it take over two hours while we are away is not a big deal. And tomorrow we can run a 2nd load. Things do come out wrinkled if you over dry them, so we try and not do that, and we bring and purchase clothing and bed sheets that don't wrinkle easily. We don't even bring an iron

Plus I'm normally a shorts and t-dye kind of dresser as it is
Old 02-01-2022, 05:15 AM   #13
Ram Nation

Another Splendide user here. We've had ours for about 4 years now. When we traded for our Alpine we kept the combo unit and I installed it myself. Good unit but a heavy little booger. Wife loves it and no laundry room visits. Works for me.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #14
RJS

I really like the combo unit. I agree it is heavy. To help with the weight and not having anyone to help with the install I built a platform in the closet that is 8 inches high and bolts through floor with a metal bracket below to provide more structural strength. Welded a detachable frame with soft rubber casters that bolts on the bottom of the W/D that is ~7-7/8 inches high. Tilt W/D back and slide it on the platform keeps wheels off the ground so they don't get flat. The adjustable feet are still on W/D to make it fit exactly height wise in the opening. I can install and remove the W/D by myself and if needed wheel it out to the front door for removal or for service externally. I have brackets that connect from the removable frame to the bolts going through the floor so its not going anywhere. The W/D was raised to fit above the existing heater vent and the existing fresh water fill & vent pipes, new Hot/Cold & Drain pipes that come in from the "basement". Added a small service panel for supply shut off, and to be able to check for any leaks without having to remove the lower panel. The W/D fits vertically perfectly with ~ 1/4 inch to spare where the 3 cabinet drawers were previously located. I cut a few inches on the left side to permit the addition of two storage shelves for all the cleaning supplies. An extra receptacle was placed inside the right side of opening and is connected to load side of that new GFI you can see on picture below. That lets me have full control of power using GFI test button if needed and don't have to remove W/D to unplug it. GFI is on new 12 AWG Romex run back to a new dual 20 Amp Circuit breaker replacing a single 20 Amp breaker. W/D only needed a 15 AMP breaker, but I also extended service from the load side with another 12 AWG Romex line to a new 20 Amp power receptacle on right side of the stove. This was done so the wife can plug in any electrical cooking appliance sitting on the top of the closed stove and use the existing range vent. Most appliances do not have a long enough power cord to reach from back wall over to the stove and this is much safer than using an extension cord as my wife found out when she borrowed one of my not rated even for 15 AMP small extension cords without asking and melted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer Dryer Modification - Final.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	38168  
Old 02-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #15
Ram Nation

Excellent looking install if i say so myself.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

For the OP, I would highly recommend the stackable Splendide units. Had ours almost 2 years and can't say enough good things about them. DWs positive opinion is far higher than mine as she doesn't miss the misery of the laundry room one bit.

I have not owned a combo unit and they wouldn't work for us from everything I've heard from owners. I don't like wrinkled clothes and a combo leaves them wrinkled to the max, the stackables are much better. Although I've not owned one (combo) an RV salesman I was talking to as we were looking for a new RV prior to purchasing this one did. He recommended against one due to the wrinkling and we brainstormed on how to put clotheslines all over the inside of the RV to help minimize the wrinkling (jokingly) as most decent campground prohibit lines outside. He lived on site at the RV dealership and went and grabbed a handful of clothes from his combo (the reason he recommended against them) and they were terrible. It was obvious that every minute DW saved (and more) from sitting in a washroom would be spent over an ironing board, an instant no. What that did do however is eliminate the trailer we were looking at; Cougar 315RLS. It is a mid profile unit and stackables won't fit in it. We then set our sights on a full profile where they would fit (stack) with no issue so keep that in mind OP.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:08 AM   #17
Ram Nation

That is strange, my wife has no problems what so ever with using her Splendide. Maybe others haven't figured out the technique. 4 years and counting, must be doing something right.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Danny & Linda, Thanks for sharing what you learned 1st hand having used both combo and stacked model types. This is really good info to know about the stackables being a much better experience for folks trying to make a decision about combo or stacked. I really thought there would not be much difference. I don't recall reading about it when I did my research when I purchased the combo unit, but I was more focused on the combo unit I guess.

For my rig the major concern was to keep the weight down with the modification, and space was a close second concern. I even removed the 3 glass door panels in the bathroom that weigh 65 lb. and replaced them with a beautiful sea shell pattern shower curtain and rod that is probably a total of 2 lb. There were other things I would rather have along for the ride than those 3 glass doors that you just can't seem to clean in between them anyway.

The total time I am guessing on the combo unit is probably pretty close to the same as what your stackables would have to complete one normal load sequentially so it's not that bad. We usually are out during most of the day so having it take over two hours while we are away is not a big deal. And tomorrow we can run a 2nd load. Things do come out wrinkled if you over dry them, so we try and not do that, and we bring and purchase clothing and bed sheets that don't wrinkle easily. We don't even bring an iron

Plus I'm normally a shorts and t-dye kind of dresser as it is
I agree the total wash/dry time may not be that much more for the combo, but with the stackable in about 30 minutes your washing the second load while the 1st is drying, so in reality you've done 2 loads to 1 in the same time.
The Splendide stackable we had had much larger tubs than the combo with the same size overall appliance size. They'd held 3-4 pair of blue jeans where the combo maybe held 1-2. We had a queen size bed that on wash day that bedding was all the combo could handle.
I also agree the best option for the combo is do 1 "small" load daily, everyday to keep up. As I said it beat spending the day at a laundromat once a week.
Other than everything being wrinkled the combo did/does a good job!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #19
Ram Nation

Yeah I forgot to add my wife does smaller loads and air dries when done so I guess that's why the no wrinkle thing. She's got it down to a science and sure beats going to laundry mat.
Ram Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #20
CaptnJohn

1 year with a vented combo ~~~ gave it away! Splendide stackable now going on 4 years, no problem~~ wife will not go anywhere without it

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer